HVAC removal

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

stoc1173
In Neutral

HVAC removal

Post by stoc1173 »

Hello subie buddies. What is the procedure to replace the a/c heater control module on a 92 legacy awd 5mt wagon LHD. I have an intermittent ac and i think everything checks out but the unit. I'd like to try to substitute a good one in there before tearing in to deeper stuff.
1992 Legacy AWD Wagon 5MT. Original owner. BBS wheels, KYB shocks, Ceramic brakes. Loving every minute of it!
rallyak
Third Gear

Re: HVAC removal

Post by rallyak »

Tell us more about the issue, you might have a bad thermo switch.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
stoc1173
In Neutral

Post by stoc1173 »

Right now the ac wont even come on, It used to work intermittently. When it worked, it blew very cold and the compressor cycled properly. Sometimes it would start if I hit the ac buttons multiple times. I replaced the original controller with a used unit. No change, except being out $260 for the mechanic. I bypassed the pressure switches with no change. The compressor fires up when jumped to the battery. All fuses check out. I bought a new relay and swapped all 4 positions every which way with no effect. The R12 was topped off... no effect. Aack! I will be selling a great car soon because of it. Greetings from New Mexico.
1992 Legacy AWD Wagon 5MT. Original owner. BBS wheels, KYB shocks, Ceramic brakes. Loving every minute of it!
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

It sounds like the thermo switch, you can bypass it. I think the post is called (my ac clicks it self silly) http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36434
Charles

stoc1173
In Neutral

Post by stoc1173 »

Could be,,, I read the whole string of posts. Symptoms are not the same at all, No rapid cycling. It either works or not. I have a used control unit on the way, If that doesn't do the trick, I'll pull the glove box and look at the thermo sensor. That is if I don't sell the car first.
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

Pulling the HVAC controller is not hard and should take you about 1hr, the first time is a learning experience.
1) pull the front bezel off around the radio.
2) remove the instrument surround trim, ( dropping the steering column makes it easer, but not required)
3) remove the 4 screws and pull the unit toward you and unplug the wiring.
4) remove the cable for the blend door from under the dash (pull firmly it will pop out).
5) then it will pull out with the cable.
Charles