Need help after engine swap!!!!

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

93FrostWhite
In Neutral

Need help after engine swap!!!!

Post by 93FrostWhite »

Just did a stock swap in my 93 wagon with a motor from a 91 fwd 5 speed legacy 4 door, put the motor in the 93 removed the intake maifold cleaned up the block and heads and removed the wire harness and everything from the intake manifold to paint it red for the true STI look. so i put everything back together new intake manifold gaskets put the 93 wiring harning in put everything back together now on first start it would crank kick a little try to start but would just repeat found out my crank position sensor on the car side harness was broken so i cut the wires and replaced with a new plug but i had the black and white wire backwords so i fixed that and now it starts but i have to have it ideal at 1300rpms or high to keep it running or else it shackes and dies. its also smoking out of the exhuast pretty bad

CEL is on and throwing codes 24 and 35

35 Canister purge solenoid valve Solenoid valve inoperative

24 Air control valve Air control valve inoperative (Abnormal signal produced in monitor circuit) Prevents abnormal engine speed using "fuel cut" in relation to engine speed, vehicle speed, and throttle sensor position

Any suguestions???? the motor rans perfect in the 91 started right up had a cel on but never had a chance to check it.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Re: Need help after engine swap!!!!

Post by wtdash »

Hi,
Are you:
1. Using the IM from the '91 w/the '93 harness?
2. Using the '93 or '91 ECU?

Find the FSM on here or search on how to test the IAC.

I 'think' the '91 may have had a different IAC valve, but maybe that was just the '90. But if you used the '93 harness and it plugged in, it should be OK.

If you still have the '93 IAC, try it. DON"T mess w/the adjustment screws , nor mess w/the TPS adjustment (unless you know what you're doing).

Ignore the code 35 for now. For whatever reason it seems to be common w/other CELs.

GL,
TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
93FrostWhite
In Neutral

Post by 93FrostWhite »

I'm using the 91 im with the 93 harness everything plugged in I'm using the 93 ecu I don't have the 93 iac
93FrostWhite
In Neutral

Post by 93FrostWhite »

Any other suggestions?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The IAC valve is different between the MT & AT Legacies in the 90-91 model years. In addition to that the injectors are also different. The ECU needs to match the intake manifold and associated sensors.

If you have the 91 ECU you could swap the 91 ECU into your 93, however depending on whether your 93 is manual or automatic you may have to modify some wiring at the ECU (not a big deal though). My recommendation would be to try and get a hold of one of the rotary style IAC valves which are found on all the 90-94 AT non-turbo Legacies and the 92-94 MT non-turbo Legacies. That way you don't have to mess around with the ECU and you will match the correct injectors with the correct ECU.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
93FrostWhite
In Neutral

Post by 93FrostWhite »

Alright thanks so much saturday i'll head to the junkyard and pick up a Auto IAC and hope that works. My 93 is auto na.
93FrostWhite
In Neutral

Post by 93FrostWhite »

Replaced the iac and she is running like a champ i grabed 93 fuel rail and injectors just in case but she seems to be running fine with the 91 ones. But i tried to check the heat and nothing just blows outside temp air any idea what it might be? It blew hot before swapping the motor.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

You reversed the heater core hoses.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
93FrostWhite
In Neutral

Post by 93FrostWhite »

Lol I'm pretty sure I did now that I'm thinking about it I'll check them and make sure and let you know thanks for all the help everyone this car has just been problems since I got it but it will be great once she's all back up and driving.

!EDIT!
I checked the lines and they are right no heat and temp goes high I shut it off before it goes to high any thoughts?
93FrostWhite
In Neutral

Post by 93FrostWhite »

Going to try bleeding the coolant maybe a air pocket is stuck
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

93FrostWhite wrote:Replaced the iac and she is running like a champ i grabed 93 fuel rail and injectors just in case but she seems to be running fine with the 91 ones. But i tried to check the heat and nothing just blows outside temp air any idea what it might be? It blew hot before swapping the motor.

I would still recommend replacing the fuel injectors with the proper ones. The 90-91 injectors have different flow characteristics and maybe less flow. I know my 90 Legacy ran a little rich with the 92 injectors. Once I put the 92 ECU in, it ran better.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

As for the heater, there is a bleeder screw on the top passenger side of the radiator. Remove the screw and the radiator cap with the engine idling and cold to bleed the air from the system.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

93FrostWhite
In Neutral

Post by 93FrostWhite »

I filled it up massaged the rad hoses and that seemed to work great heats working and no over heating thanks and I will swap the injectors thanks for the advice