Fuel pump problem

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

tinyturbo10
First Gear

Fuel pump problem

Post by tinyturbo10 »

I've been working on swapping my engine and transmission into a new wagon shell after my sedan was totaled a couple week's ago. I got it all put back together and in the wagon, but when I try to start it, it cranks but won't start. I figured it was probably something to do with the fuel pump so I took off one of the fuel lines right after the fuel filter to see if gas was getting to that point and nothing. No fuel came out of that line at all when I tried to start it. I swapped the fuel pump from my old sedan into the wagon and still had the same problem. I looked at the plug underneath the back seat to see if it was corroded and it was fine too. Anybody have any other ideas of what it could be? I was thinking possible the relay under the dash but haven't had time to look any further into it.
rallyak
Third Gear

Re: Fuel pump problem

Post by rallyak »

Have you checked the ground on the back of the intake? That grounds the ecu and sometimes that gets overlooked especially in a swap.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
tinyturbo10
First Gear

Post by tinyturbo10 »

Yeah that's all good. I'm gonna try to replace the relay tonight and see if that works. If not I was reading some other threads and saw that some people just bypassed the plug under the seat and it worked so I might try that too when I get a chance.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Might want to try the plug bypass before the relay, from what I've read on here that seems to be the more common culprit and is much easier to do than getting that relay out.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
tinyturbo10
First Gear

Post by tinyturbo10 »

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing after reading a bunch more about it. I'm gonna check to see if the plug under the seat is getting power first then go from there.
tinyturbo10
First Gear

Post by tinyturbo10 »

It was the relay