How do you adjust Valves?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Turbolegacydude
In Neutral

How do you adjust Valves?

Post by Turbolegacydude »

I have a 93 Legacy Sport EJ22T and I am hearing ticking coming from the engine and I believe that my valves are not adjusted right. Can anyone tell me how to do this, I already know that I need to take the valve covers off, but after that what do I need to do?
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Re: How do you adjust Valves?

Post by TurnNburn »

these earlier 2.2 have HLA's or hydraulic lash adjusters and are not mechanically adjustable like a lot of other cars are, or even new subarus. most likely your noise is coming from one, or usually multiple HLA's that have become stuck in the compressed position. If they aren't so bad, there are ways to free them up using Sea Foam, or similar, oil cleaning products.

There are probably several articles that describe doing this, but basically, poor the bottle in your oil let it idle for a few minutes and get it all hot. Sometimes this is enough, but most of the time when I do this I have the rev the car up to at least 5k rpms for sometimes several minutes before all of the lifter quiet down.

Very important to change your oil after doing this, for 1, you just cleaned a lot of sludge from inside your engine and you don't want that floating around, 2, that stuff is alcohol based and is not very friendly on rubber gaskets, and 3, definitely does not have lubricating properties of oil and essentially makes your oil like a 0 weight

The other option for your noise is your out of oil
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car