Solve that tick with a cool glass of water

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

Just get a really long vacuum tube and have a friend help you with it. you keep the revs up, and he trickles the water in at about half "full suck" rate. since full suck wouldn't be very good whilst attempting to maintain highway speeds :D. There are plenty of places in the firewall you could feed a long vacuum tube thru.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
inzomniac
First Gear

Post by inzomniac »

I should have mentioned that having someone there to keep the revvs up is crutial to this working well ...

Glad to see that this is working for other people as well as myself... infact I just did it again today.
Gary
1995 Legacy LS wagon
1991 Legacy Turbo - 5spd, JDM EJ20 conversion
1985 RX sedan - dual range 4WD, 5spd (P4 rally car)
random aircraft....
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Just did the water trick today. My car did not smoke or spew anything visible.

It sucked down a whole bike water bottle. I slowly let it sip the water from a separate cup.

Initial impressions seem a little better. I'm not sure......I drove home with the A/C on......it felt pretty good for having the A/C on though.

I'll have a better feel for things after I drive it tomorrow to work.

I think my driving style keeps things cleaned up pretty well ;)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Well....drove to work.......didn't really notice anything too different.

It still has a slightly different "smell" to it.....almost like it's running hot.....but I'm not sure.

Still not sure why mine didn't smoke and carry on like the rest of yours.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I just tried this, and didn't see much difference... Maybe I did it wrong:

I figured it'd probably be best to use distilled water, since that would make pure steam and wouldn't leave random minerals around. So, I hooked up a long hose to the nipple on the intake manifold (I figured the evaporation canister and boost gauge wouldn't be crucial to the engine's operation), and held the other end over a cup full of distilled water. I started the engine and stuck a wad of paper (actually a dollar bill :lol: ) in the throttle cam to get it up to about 3000-3500rpm. I then held the hose just above the surface of the water and let the engine suck in a little at a time, mixed up with air. I tried dipping the hose into the water a couple times, but that seemed to make the engine really unhappy, so I went back to the atomizing thing. I let it consume a little more than a liter of water; nothing funny came out my exhaust at all either. I went for a drive and it felt pretty much the same as before. I didn't notice any smell or anything either. The car feels about the same now as it did before.

Should I have let it suck the water in faster and found somebody to sit in the driver's seat to open the throttle up even wider as necessary?[/i]
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

When I did it I let it suck the water down as fast as it could. It would drink a cup of water in about 6 seconds? Maybe you guys arent giving it enough? Maybe I gave it too much :lol:
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That was my only question too.....should I have let the engine suck the water down like a pig eating slops......?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

petridish38
Second Gear

Post by petridish38 »

The way i did mine was: I filled a small gatorade bottle up with about a cup...give or take... then, i set the bottle on the side of the engine bay with the tube in it and got inside the car.... Then, i revved it to about 4,000 RPMs until the water was gone...then i repeated a couple times...

I got the cloud of smoke and after a test drive, I couldn't really tell if it was running any better.... it might have helped, it might not have...but it's worth a try!
1990 Legacy LS Sedan FWD NA MT
209,000 miles!
2002 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon
http://www.myspace.com/petridish38
http://www.cardomain.com/id/petridish38
gt tankie
First Gear

Post by gt tankie »

Tried it on my GT. shes on 146,000km and had the tick. Fed it a litre of water which it gobbled in 30 secs and ran like a sack full of kicked assholes, black smoke the works. But afterwards-smooth, quiet and I can hear the injectors clicking away nicely. What an easy fix. Loved the water even at the rate i fed it in, sounded like a meaty outboard thru the 2 3/4.
Sweet!! :twisted:
czo79
Second Gear

Post by czo79 »

Perhaps this is a dumb question...But I really really want to try this glass O' water trick on my turbo...its ticking bad, and actually this is something that has happened eventually to most subees I've had. Anyways, I'm wondering if all this carbon and soot and crap coming out your exhaust poses a danger to your turbo? I mean, can't it damage the turbine blades? I guess I don't really know how solid this stuff is, whether when the steam from the water vaporizing hits it if it sort of goes into solution with the h2o, or if junks of sorta solid material are actually going out the exhaust. ALthough I want a new turbo, not yet please. Whats anyone think? I guess it sounds like its worked ok for everyone.
Thanks
Micum
Micum
91 Legacy Turbo Sport - 94 JDM EJ20G
97 Legacy 2.5 GT - mod'd
93 Impreza L AWD (sold)
97 Legacy 2.5 GT (deceased)
98 Legacy Outback (sold)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

the carbon shouldn't come off in big chunks....if anything it should be mixed in with the steam....in tiny particles.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

czo79
Second Gear

Post by czo79 »

Thanks josh, I needed to set my mind at ease about that one, now if I can just get my car running so I can do that trick...jeesh, its killing me, I'm just sitting at my computer drooling at everything I want to do to my car, and I can't even drive it, or start it. I hope my engine isn't dead...I went to start the car one day and.....dawtghdl;jkasdgh;sdlkjhafj the worst metalic grinding awful noise I have ever heard. I have bad bad feelings about it. But I had just had my starter replaced like a month before, so maybe its the starter, it was getting a lot of abuse cause I have a leaky fuel injector, it leaks when the car is off, bleeding off my fuel press. and flooding a cylinder, so it takes forever to start. Someone please tell me it will all be all right...mechanics around here don't like it when you bring in a car and say, ahh this engine wasn't ever sold in the us, but its in ma car...
Micum
Micum
91 Legacy Turbo Sport - 94 JDM EJ20G
97 Legacy 2.5 GT - mod'd
93 Impreza L AWD (sold)
97 Legacy 2.5 GT (deceased)
98 Legacy Outback (sold)
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

Some tips for this water injestion trick:

Use a LOT of water. At least 2 Liters+ to do anything. I found that small amounts of water helped a little, but the more you run through it causes a lean condition I do believe (what the A/F said) and eventually started blowing out the black smoke (carbon). I did it 3 times a while ago, each time using more water and each time clearing out even more stuff.

Don't do this with tailpipe pointed towards anything alive, such as grass, plants, animals, and especially humans. I wish I would have taken a picture of what it did to the grass in my back yard. I saw the black soot sitting on the blades up front, but then a whole tail pipe emissions shaped section of grass died within the next 2 days :shock: . The shape was an ellipse by the way :wink: . It also knocked rust off of my original factory muffler (which is rusted through, by the way)!

I would definitely recommend this for the NA guys also. I have seen a couple of NA blocks tore down recently and there is a LOT of carbon build up on these NA pistons. And these are much newer engines, too!

Ciao
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

i know this is an old thread an i might be bringing it back from the dead but i would like to know if anyone has any info, like any more instructions on how much water or if i should not do it. it looks like everyone has had some decent results so i would like to try it.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
gt tankie
First Gear

Post by gt tankie »

ahah the thread is resurrected!!!!!
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

You could always use Seafoam.
I have never tried the water trick, but you can notice a significant difference if you let the car suck up some Seafoam through the PCV system.
Through The Generations...
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan