5 speed swapero time into vdc wagon

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

94SS_Canada
Third Gear

5 speed swapero time into vdc wagon

Post by 94SS_Canada »

I live in the forest and have access to the computer for one hour a day at the library.

Presently the money situation is getting kinda ifffffyyy so I cant buy a computer.

Anyways just picked up 3.0 h6 vdc wagon and did the head gaskets on it.

Tranny was all fine an dandy then suddenly decided to start slipping. Fuck autos. So my rationalization is instead of spending money on 10litres of atf and a filter id rather spend money on the swap.

I don't Care about the VDC I just want that H6 pounding against a 5 speed. I know the bellhousing is different this era of Subaru with extra bellhousing bolts but im pretty sure the older gen stuff still bolts up.

I guess my Question is, is this a 3.90 geared car?

Will a 5 speed 3.90 from a 94SS bolt up to unibody or do I have to look at first gen to 2nd gen outback stuff and drive axle splines and all that fun stuff.. Thanks!

oh ya and its good to be back!
FastRust
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Re: 5 speed swapero time into vdc wagon

Post by cj91legss »

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414678

That thread says you can do it. As far as the gear ratio, this PDF says it's 4.11.

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/sub ... 30-vdc.pdf

If you can find the transmission sticker, it's white and rectangular with black letters and numbers, and get the code you can google that code and the first couple of links should tell you what the ratio is.

Just google the code itself.

Hope that helps for ya.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I say it won't work because of the vdc. The ecu requires a specific tranny to even work. The question is, would a non-vdc ecu work in a vdc car and allow you to successfully swap to 5mt?
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

But is there a non vdc ecu? When I searched Google before I responded, I didn't think or know to search for that Mike.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Yeah, the ez30d could be had with or without vdc.
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

From my understanding you can easily Deactivate the VDC manually so from that I assumed the ecu would think the same thing with a 5 speed. Sorry to ask such a simple Question and not search as I was trying to explain its hard with my lack of internet and I appreciate the responses ill go read that thread real quick, thanks cj91
FastRust
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

So it seems my 94SS 5 speed will bolt up okay, I have the rear diff too, okayyyy. Then theres the pedal setup and the fact that this thing is hydraulic I cant rember what parts I have left ill have to look and whether or not the axles have the same splines and the neutral switch and bypassing the vdc lol other than that I need to find my era 5 speed outback for interior bits and get a p plate clutch and matching starter.
FastRust
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

If you get this running on a vdc ecu, you'll be the first I've heard of. I'm 99% sure you'll need to retain the TCU for this to work.

It's pretty neat that subaru h6's are compatible with 5-speeds. Overseas the ez30 was available with a 6-speed manual, though I believe that was the ez30r, not ez30d like yours. Hell even the eg33 bolts up to 5 and 6 speeds though it was never offered with a manual, anywhere.
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Well most likely I will find a non-vdc ecu and study the wiring from there to bypass the neutral switch and such ive done auto to standard swaps but never on awd vehicles and anything this new. Yes I do agree that its pretty awesome these h6's bolt right up to the ej series trans. Ive sourced some parts. Pretty much the mechanical aspect of this is fairly straight forward just comes down to the wiring which isn't such a strong point for me. But I have the time, so if I do figure it out ill be sure to post my findings as to assist the next fool. The Car has 375,000km this thing still purrs. Minus the fact that you cant throttle thru a corner if you lt off at all before it because it will slip like a motherfucker other than that shes not to bad.
FastRust
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

From what ive read up so far there hasent been much mention of the VDC itself however there is discussion of the swap being done.
FastRust
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

FastRust
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

im just hucking all my usefull research here..
I've done an EZ30 conversion with STi manual to my 97 Liberty wagon and also one into a manual Kombi plus assisted a few guys doing there Outback H6 manual conversions.

It's a bolt in affair mechanically, no problems. Any EJ box will fit, 4 bolt, 8 bolt, whatever. You need a TT gearbox crossmember to allow the dual exhausts to go though.

Electrically there are some issues with certain cars. If you have a limited model with stability control it will no longer work without the auto. The models without are no problem, you just need to put a jumper across the ABS CU to emulate the auto control signal. The neutral switch at the ecu needs to be grounded also or the revs flair between gear changes.

Some guys also reported codes for the auto bringing the engine light on. I never had these issues with my wagon although the codes are in memory but the Kombi we did had this problem. We sorted through it and it turned out to be the ignition relay not shutting down causing the codes to co0me up as current.

The EZ30 is a completely different animal with a manual trans behind it, night and day. The auto sucks all it's response and a fair whack of power away.
FastRust
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Just a comment regarding the neutral switch. I see people mentioning about bypassing, especially with the 5spd swaps....there's really no need to do that since the MT has a neutral switch, it's just wired differently. So depending on how the H6 ECU is setup you could probably utilize the MT's neutral switch if need be.

Keep us posted as you get started with things.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm