WRX hoodscoop yes or no?

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

02SIXT
In Neutral

Post by 02SIXT »

Replacing your useless stock hood scoop with the larger WRX model is quite simple. Dont be afraid to make a mistake, a replacement aftermarket OEM hood only costs about 90 bucks Canadian, and about $72 US so even if you completely screw it up, its not the end of the world.

1. Simply place the scoop onto the hood of your car, or if you feel your hand is not steady enough, place it on some thin cardboard....trace around the base of the scoop, then cut out the shape from the cardboard. Or if you're placing it directly on your hood, trace around it on your hood using a Sharpee black marker.

2. Once you have your line, take your trusty Dremel tool or similar, and use a fine cutting disc attachment. Be sure to wear safety goggles as the discs sometimes break apart and go flying!! You'll probably go through 5 or 6 discs depending on your experience with the tool. It will make the cut incredibly.

3. Once the hood is cut, place the scoop inside the hole you've made and it should rest perfectly on the skeleton (framework) of the hood underneath the skin. Because of the thickness of the hood skin, you'll notice that the scoop will actually rest "inside" your hood as it will sink below the level of your actual painted surface since it is now resting on that framework underneath and not the hood's skin.

4. Once you think everything is set, take off the material found under your hood because you'll need to expose the skeleton underneath.

5. Next, check which frame rails touch the base of the scoop and drill holes in these rails using a 1/8" drill bit. These holes will be used to place rivets through and through the scoop as well.

6. Next take your trusty Sharpee and with the scoop place on the hood mark the holes you've drilled with your Sharpee, onto the underside of the wrx scoop. Then take the scoop to your favourite bench and drill the scoop holes using the same 1/8" drill bit.

7. You're now ready to rivet the scoop to the metal skeleton of your hood! Once you're done, be sure to take pics for everyone to see!
Last edited by 02SIXT on Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
J-MoNeY
Fourth Gear

Post by J-MoNeY »

72 bucks for a hood? Ha! Nevar!
98 LGT
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I got a Carbon Fiber hoodscoop for free the other day, so I'm probably gonna drop that into the hood, but I'm not gonna rivet it down.

I'm gonna make it look good, lol.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

I'm eventually gonna get a reverse scoop type of thing so the air is pulled through the fmic and out the hood.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

I'm with dzx, I want a reverse scoop.

As for the WRX scoops I like the 02-03, if I was going TMIC i'd get a CF one. The CF looks real good on a white Leg, little rice but not bad. Are you painting yours Phil? I bet CF would look good on your blue.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

For the Dremel cutting wheel - use the fiber reinforced ones as the other kind shatter and wear rediculously fast.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
snowboarded
Third Gear

Post by snowboarded »

Well I am finally going to do mine, after talking about it back in October. I will be dropping in an 02 scoop (still to be purchased) in about 2 months and be making one other undisclosed mod to the hood.
[quote="Manarius "]Only flamers will get those. [/quote]
[quote="All_talk "]How many WHP will that give me? :)[/quote]

2010 Subaru Impreza 5mt 5 door
josh9227
In Neutral

Post by josh9227 »

they look great on our cars, go for the 04,05 scoop they look better
ver 4 STI 300hp VF23....now td04 :-( dam shaft 4.444 spec c trany LTD slip plated diff SOLD
2002 forester S sport 5spd STOCK for now.....
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

04/05 scoops are huge though, way to disproportionate IMO.

I have a carbon fiber 02 hoodscoop that I got for free, I'll be tossing that on in a little while.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
snowboarded
Third Gear

Post by snowboarded »

I like.
I think I might go for the 04/05 depending on if I go thru with the other part of the hood mod.
If I do then the bigger scoop will look good with it, and be functional.

snowboarded
Third Gear

Post by snowboarded »

I probably should clarify, I will be putting on a 04/05 WRX scoop, not an STI scoop.
I personally don't like the way a STI scoop would look on my legacy. It's too big.

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

What's the other hood mod? WRX TMIC?

snowboarded
Third Gear

Post by snowboarded »

Yes and no.
Top mount yes. Grabbed one off of a Saab. So I want to put on the larger hood scoop so that I can grab more air.
The other mod is still in the works.
I want to cut in the hood vents from a 2.5 RS
I was just at this body sho that I trust, I have known the guy for a while so he would help me do it.
But he thinks that it won't be hard at all to cut the hood for the wrx sccop and for the vents.
I had it pictured in my mind and thought that it would look nice, plus the fact that it the vents would be functional.

THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

functional how?
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

The hoods on the Legacy are convex in the center and the Impreza concave. How will you resolve this for the vents as they straddle the change in hood surface. I want to do early Impreza turbo vents myself, but wasn't sure how to do it and since I have to order them overseas I can't try to get an idea by eyeing it up.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Use the left vent on the right and vice versa?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Impreza hoods look pretty convex to me.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
josh9227
In Neutral

Post by josh9227 »

snowboarded wrote:I probably should clarify, I will be putting on a 04/05 WRX scoop, not an STI scoop.
I personally don't like the way a STI scoop would look on my legacy. It's too big.
I tried the sti scoop way too big all u see is scoop, the 02-03 one does not flow with the curves, so i put the 04-05 one on
ver 4 STI 300hp VF23....now td04 :-( dam shaft 4.444 spec c trany LTD slip plated diff SOLD
2002 forester S sport 5spd STOCK for now.....
snowboarded
Third Gear

Post by snowboarded »

THAWA wrote:functional how?
It was explained to me that the vents are slotted and let heat escape from the engine.

snowboarded
Third Gear

Post by snowboarded »

vrg3 wrote:Use the left vent on the right and vice versa?
Thats what the guy at the body shop said, he thinks it might work.

Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

Bump

What more has been learned about the hood scoop situation since these posts took place. I need a new scoop on my car but I want to avoid cutting the hood. Isn't there any other scoop that would fit and be larger but not crazy large?
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

hear is your answer, take your scoop right out and leave it off. no money spent, when your in traffic heat gets out qwick and when your drivin fresh air gets sucked in. done
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

I don't think so.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
crappyrice
First Gear

Post by crappyrice »

hahaha, nice one, plus u look like a complete idiot when ur driving around, and when it rains or snows? dont really want water rrainging down on my turbo that much
1991 subaru legacy, 2.2 turbo, automatic, 4wd, red, and very bad on gas
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

crappyrice wrote:hahaha, nice one, plus u look like a complete idiot when ur driving around, and when it rains or snows? dont really want water rrainging down on my turbo that much
Doesn't water rain on the turbo anyway? Hood scoop to chimney to turbo. No water remover whatsoever.

Water on the coil pack might be bad. What's bad about water on the turbo? It might rust? :lol:
-2004 Liquid Silver WRX "Pretty Hate Machine"