ej22t block into 02 WRX???

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

andrewp724
First Gear

ej22t block into 02 WRX???

Post by andrewp724 »

so i tried looking around and finding out for myself, but it just wasn't working. so the question is...

will all be fine if i take the block out of my 91 legacy and put it in my 02 WRX, just a block swap(including necessary accessories), but keeping the WRX heads, etc.??? and also, is there a better combo that i could use for block/heads, keep in mind i get the legacy block and the WRX heads free, so a better combo would have to be way better to make up for the added cost. thanks a lot guys,

-Drew
'88 Supra with 2JZ swap and T61
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Are you planning on using the wrx internals or legacy internals?

you may have issues with coolant passages lining up. You'll also have to run WRX intake manifold, etc.

The starter mounting is a little different too.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
andrewp724
First Gear

Post by andrewp724 »

legacy internals, are the coolant/starter problems major or minor? and the WRX intake shouldn't be a problem. i have both complete cars, so i can mix and match whatever parts i need to, i just need to know which ones need to be done. the WRX engine is actually in a 95 impreza wagon, so this will be a complete hybrid, lol.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

None of that matters except the coolant passages.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The coolant thing may or may not be an issue. I'm stating this as an issue from second hand experience.

If you have the WRX heads off, you can look at my pictures of my ej22t teardown to see if things look like they are lining up correctly
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8 ... s/ej22t/2/

starter issue isn't a big one.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
andrewp724
First Gear

Post by andrewp724 »

and overall, the ej22 block and the ej20 heads should be a good combo as far as power goes, correct?
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Depends on the kind of power you want.

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
andrewp724
First Gear

Post by andrewp724 »

ultimately, i'm wanting to get around 400awhp, but that's after a turbo upgrade of course. i'm just wondering what kind of increase i would see just by swapping the blocks. OEM WRX turbo at 16.5 psi, i'm running UTEC stage 2 with uppipe and full 3" exhaust.
andrewp724
First Gear

Post by andrewp724 »

now i'm seeing that i'm going to have a 7.5 to 1 CR. so my best cost effective option while keeping the stock turbo is to go with forged pistons to give me a higher CR that is closer to stock, correct? so if i do that, should i go with the stock 9 to1, or go with 8.5 to 1 and leave room for future upgrades??? anybody have an opinion?
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Stock turbo CR is 8:1. N/A EJ22s are 9.5:1. If you want 400 whp you'll need forged pistons anyway.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
andrewp724
First Gear

Post by andrewp724 »

ah, thanks for the correction, i must have got my info mixed up somewhere, so how "bad" is the 7.55:1 going to be compared to the 8:1?
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

wouldnt 7.5:1 be nice so you could boost more? i was under the impression that if the CR is too high, and you boost just a lil too much, you'll get detonation. im working on a hybrid myself which is very close to being done. im supposdly gonna be running an 8.5:1 and heard that if i boosted to 9 psi or so non-intercooled, it WILL detonate.

i have a couple questions

if i do add an intercooler, that will let me raise the psi without detonation correct? as well as adding octane boosters right?
00 5MT AWD 2.5 RS - New Project
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

If you need help with the swap, just ask. I'll be glad to help.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
andrewp724
First Gear

Post by andrewp724 »

the 7.5 would be nice for more boost, but not while i'm running the stock WRX turbo, because i'm already boosting it at 16.5 psi, which is pretty much the edge of it's efficiency. but i'm wondering if the 7.5 is going to be bad enough to justify the $500-600 for forged pistons, or will it be tolerable until i get a larger turbo(timeline unknown) so that i can boost upwards of 20 psi?
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

You're going to need a lot more than forged pistons to get a reliable 400 whp. Read up on the other builds people have done. They're kinda hard to find though :\.

andrewp724
First Gear

Post by andrewp724 »

forged pistons, rods, phase 1 2.5L crank, head work, turbo, intercooler, fuel, ra gearset, etc, etc, etc. that's all WAY in the future, all i am trying to decide for right now, is will i'll be fine driving around with the stock WRX turbo at 16.5 psi at 7.5:1 CR, or should i go with the pistons to give me the 8:1 CR. if off boost driving only suffers a little, but the on boost is noticeably better just because of the higher displacement, then i'll be fine with the sacrifice, and just save the money for the pistons for later. i just want to know how much that .5 CR is going to affect everyday driving.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Honestly, I couldn't tell you, but it seems kind of silly to change the pistons just to up the compression ratio and not do the rest of the work at the same time.

andrewp724
First Gear

Post by andrewp724 »

yeah, i know. i just don't have the money to do all the other things right now. i could get the money to do the pistons, just not really anything else. i don't think the difference would be that bad, not bad enough to justify $600 for pistons, like you said, just to up the CR. but that raises the question, is there going to be enough difference just between the two blocks to justify doing the swap without doing all the other upgrades at the same time? should i just keep the block and save up until i can do all the rest of the work for the 400 whp build?
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Well what's wrong with the WRX engine?

andrewp724
First Gear

Post by andrewp724 »

nothing, just not as good as the ej22t, putting in the ej22t would just be an easy quick way to an extra .2L of displacement
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

I'd just throw one of the engines in for now and then do the build later. Or better yet, put the legacy heads on the wrx block and throw that in that way you have the parts you need off the car so you can get them worked on and still have a driveable car.

andrewp724
First Gear

Post by andrewp724 »

well, the ej20's already in and running great, i had just thought there would be a noticeable increase in performance by putting in the ej22 block
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

From what i've heard from one of the awdpirate members, he had no noticeable loss of torque with a 7.5 comp ratio
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

andrewp724 wrote:and overall, the ej22 block and the ej20 heads should be a good combo as far as power goes, correct?
how about 13.38sec 1/4 on 11psi daily driver ;)

My advice is, don't go too flashy, do the basic and it wil run great.

get the 2.2l out of the car, dismantle it completely, get it cleaned, order properly matching forged pistons (+1 overbore), forged rods, new crank and rod bearing, get the internals balanced. Reassemble all that with your WRX heads and intake, put that back in the car, go get a Ecutek reflash/tune, and you'll have a pretty nice setup. You may want to get some 550cc injectors too.. I don't and i'm limited in boost ..

Forget the phase 1 crank or any other stuff like that, stay with the essentials, and save money for other essentials (tranny, brakes, suspension) :)

Do the shortbloc job at the very beginning of your project, cuz you realy DON'T want to do that once the engine is in the car.. you have the possibility to have the 2.2l redone while you are still driving the wrx.. take your time !
morgie
'98 4Runner V6 Manual 4x4.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I went from running 9.5 N/A to 8:1 and noticed no torque difference. HP did suffer, however. An out-of-the-ass guess would be going from 140 to 125 HP.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.