Downpipe won't come off!

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Warp3
First Gear

Downpipe won't come off!

Post by Warp3 »

:(

Ok...what am I missing here? :? I'm trying to remove my stock turbo-back (91SS). I've completely removed the exhaust that follows the downpipe. I've removed the two bolt/nut combos and removed the nuts from the 3 nut/stud combos on the downpipe/turbo flange. I've removed the bolt underneath the car that attaches it to that metal hanger. But no matter what I do, the downpipe won't move around enough to walk it back off the studs on the turbo (TD05H-16G, if that matters any). Is there another hanger that I am missing somewhere (I honestly don't think there is) or am I missing a prerequisite step here!?

BTW, for the time being, I've just bolted it back up, so I'm running a stock downpipe as my sole exhaust after the turbo... :lol: Ungodly loud, but it sounds sweeeeet. :D
Shane
2006 Subaru WRX TR
1989 Toyota MR2
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

Sounds like you got 'em all to me. I've removed the downpipe from 2 '91 turbos, and I don't remember anything else. You must have to just pull harder. :lol: I dunno.

If you think the stock downpipe sounds sweet, try running around with your aftermarket one. :D
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

somehow it sounds like you missed one. theres 2 on the tranny and from the sounds of it you only got one of them. theres one hanger by the tranny pan and one on the bell housing
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

azn2nr wrote:somehow it sounds like you missed one. theres 2 on the tranny and from the sounds of it you only got one of them. theres one hanger by the tranny pan and one on the bell housing
Ya, sounds like you missed the bell housing mount.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
Warp3
First Gear

Post by Warp3 »

legacy92ej22t wrote:Ya, sounds like you missed the bell housing mount.
I was kinda wondering that myself when I was searching for downpipe removal info on NASIOC this evening and noticed that the WRX apparently has another connection partway up the downpipe. I wasn't sure if this connection existed on the BC Legacy as well, but I guess you two answered my question...hehe :)

Thanks guys! :D
Shane
2006 Subaru WRX TR
1989 Toyota MR2
Warp3
First Gear

Post by Warp3 »

BTW, this was exactly the problem. It slid right off once I got that bolt removed. The really odd thing is that I looked in the FSM while I working on this problem and somehow completely overlooked that bolt which is right there in black and white in the manual. D'oh! :oops:

Thanks again everyone. :D
Shane
2006 Subaru WRX TR
1989 Toyota MR2
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Cool. :)
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]