Gas Mileage

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

What is your average MPG per tank?

Less then 21
40%
21 - 23
17%
23 - 26
24%
26 +
19%

Total votes: 90

AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

AWD 4EAT gets 24 mpg city and 26 highway @65-75mph. Always 89 octane.
90 L+ wgn
minoru
First Gear

Post by minoru »

I just got mine 2 months ago, and I do arround 15. But I am trying to figure out why. I changed the O2 sensor...nothing changed. I have to change the knock sensor...it gives a lot of CEL on warm engine. This weekend I wanna check the fuel lines and fuel pump.
Anyways...as long as we keep using the turbo and AWD...I don't think we can do much about mileage. We can reduce it just to brag about it. Couse for sure we won't stay last (speed) just for mileage.
93 Legacy EJ22T Station Wagon (4EAT-unfortunately)
God gave us cars so we can enjoy life faster!!!
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

Went to a meet in Chicago, got 26mpg @ 80-95mph

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I get 30 on the highway in the 95 N/A. I got 27 on the highway coming home from CT with the Turbo IIRC (my dad was driving, and it seemed to be right around 27mpg).

I almost exclusively get more than 23 in the 95.

I did get like 13mpg once, that sucked.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
elkaboom
First Gear

Post by elkaboom »

I'd been averaging a little over 300 miles per tank until recently. However, I did a lot of work on the car not long ago: head gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, waterpump, thermo, timing belt, PCV, plugs, plug wires, etc, and my mileage actully went down to around 280 miles to the tank. I'm sorta irked about that.
I run 89 octane as a rule and almost every other tank I thrown in a bottle of the Chevron fuel system cleaner with the Techron additive. Also, I religiously change my oil every 2-3 thousand miles and Ijust flushed my tranny and differentials to boot! Guess my girl just gets thirstier than most.
I have been noticing a loping idle after long drives and an intermittent CEL at variying times so I'm thinking it may be an O2 sensor that's taking a shit on me... I'll have to run the codes to be sure, but it is interesting to hear that no one gets "great" mileage, per se. Either way, I'm not about to start driving anything else -unless it's a turbo.
Bob
90 Legacy LS AWD n/a -190,000 and going strong!

91 Legacy SS -currently stock and awaiting marginal upgrades (dead) RIP
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead. I actually have been keeping better track of my mileage because of gas prices lately and here's what I got.

Mixed (still mostly backroads and highway though) I've been averaging 18-19 mpg. A lot of this is with my kids though and I drive much more conservative with them in the car.

We recently went on a mini vacation to LBI NJ and I got 23 highway and a wicked sunburn. :shock:

Not too shabby for a pretty heavily modded SS. :D
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

I don't get anything lower then about 20. However, I run 20-50w oil because of leaky Rear Cam Seals :(.

I try my best not to drive like a maniac or make it go above 3000 RPM (Old Timing Belt).
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I only get around 16 or 17 (18 on a good day) with my mostly stock SS.

I used to get around at least 20, but recently it went down.

I never have a CEL, but whenever I pull the codes, there is one for the knock sensor and one for the MAF sensor.

Does anyone have a spare, good-working MAF sensor for a '91 that they would be willing to sell?
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
mgjs1
First Gear

Post by mgjs1 »

I get 21-23 around town and 25-29 on the highway depending on speed/style of driving in my 93 N/A 5MT wagon (I can clear 30 if I coast and go 65).

It used to be higher before I put on the WRX wheels and tires. Since then my speedo has been accurate (used to be 10% over), and my MPG has dropped accordingly.

Hmmm... just had a thought... does this mean that my car has 10% too many miles on it? If it reads 200K, does it really have 180K due to mis-read wheel radius? Interesting thought.
http://www.circlestickers.com
Legacypusher
First Gear

Post by Legacypusher »

I routinely get 30-31mpg on the highway, highest ever for a single tank was 32.3 on an all interstate run at about 75mph. Around 26 in town.
Don

'90 L wagon, fwd, 5MT, 156K, purchased new 11/89, and running like a top. What a great car this continues to be.
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

mgjs1 wrote:Hmmm... just had a thought... does this mean that my car has 10% too many miles on it? If it reads 200K, does it really have 180K due to mis-read wheel radius? Interesting thought.
only if you put the wrong wheels on when you got the car. And then it would be 10% the other direction.
I don't get anything lower then about 20. However, I run 20-50w oil because of leaky Rear Cam Seals Sad.

I try my best not to drive like a maniac or make it go above 3000 RPM (Old Timing Belt).
you should just run the correct weight oil and let the leaky cam seals lubricate your timing belt ;)
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
mgjs1
First Gear

Post by mgjs1 »

Nope, stock wheels and stock size tires for the first 200k... and yet, when speed was calibrated with time and mileposts on the highway, my speedo used to read about 10% too fast. Same thing on my Dad's 91 N/A 5MT.

And, my thinking is as follows...

If the speedo is reading 10% too fast, it must be because the wheels/axles are revolving more times (per mile) than the car "thinks" because the wheels that were stock were too small. (imagine really tiny wheels, and it makes it easier to imagine a speedo that reads way too high... tiny wheels would have to turn REALLY fast to carry the car at 70mph).

Thus (if the odo works on the same "axle turn" data as the speedo), the number of miles travelled reported by the car's odometer will be too high because my tires are too small, and I have not "actually" travelled as far on the same number of axle rotations (again imagine really tiny wheels... axle rotates many times until the odometer rolls up to 1 mile, but the car has only moved 50 feet).

Final Result - an odometer reading of, for instance, 100 miles only gets you 90 miles down the road in actual linear distance travelled. Extrapolate this to the big picture and at a reading of 200,000 on the odometer, you have only travelled 180,000 miles.

Of course, I begin to realize this may be partially a moot point because the actual wear on some suspension and drivetrain parts may be more accurately reflected by the "erroneous" odometer reading.

That's my theory... its a long one.
Am I nuts?

(Now, with larger WRX wheels, the ODO and SPEEDO should both be accurate, if my theory is correct. The latter is true, as independently verified by calibration with a stopwatch and mileposts.)
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I'll get 29.5 on the freeway. I've also gotten as low as 17 in town. NA legacy though.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

15-17 in town.

20 highway.

94 SS+heavy foot=no money in my wallet
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
Busdriver
First Gear

Post by Busdriver »

How fast are you guys usually going on the freeway?
How about RPMs, I try to shift around 3000, I just don't want to strain my 171k mi travelled car anymore.
not much more power up higher anyways for a non turbo is there, I went up to 3500 once and not too much more acceleration...
I go about 75-80mph on freeway at 3000 RPMs.
I get about 23mi/gal.
It's a wagon AWD without a Turbo...
Stock 1991 Legacy L+ AWD 5MT wagon 191k+ mi
rightandtight
First Gear

Post by rightandtight »

Rev that thing to the sky, that's what japanese motors are for. The older they are, the more they like it :twisted:
Busdriver wrote:How about RPMs, I try to shift around 3000, I just don't want to strain my 171k mi travelled car anymore.
not much more power up higher anyways for a non turbo is there, I went up to 3500 once and not too much more acceleration...
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

How do you drive it below 3k?! My car spends a higher percentage of time running to redline than most cars.

Most I've gotten was 30 mpg.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
legacy2
First Gear

Post by legacy2 »

1986 Camry, 35mpg highway, 1992 Blazer 4.3 Vortec, not exactly sure, but pry 18, highway. i have a chance to buy a 2000 Cougar, which gets 40mpg highway and finally 1991 Legacy, 25mpg...but gas sucks its already $3.21 gallon here

edit: i pry should whip out my 1983 Volkwagen truck, Diesel, 5 speed, gets 60 miles per gallon highway
91 Legacy Wagon, AWD
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

I get about 26-28 mpg on my 90 AWD 5spd wagon as long as I stay out of the boost. MSD DIS-2 and some tunning with my wideband and I hope to bring that up a bit too. The scoobs been getting a lot of useage lately withe the gas prices. It's neerly a C note to fill the jag now :(

Scoob gets almost double the fuel miliage and will eat 87.. can't beat it :)
- Junior
90L Wagon EJ22E on Toyota CT-26 boost -- Crushed!
95L Wagon on T3/T4 boost :)
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

rightandtight wrote:Rev that thing to the sky, that's what japanese motors are for. The older they are, the more they like it :twisted:
Sure, you run your motor like that and we'll see how long it lasts :P
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
Busdriver
First Gear

Post by Busdriver »

It seems like the '90 wagons get around 28mi/gal but my '91 only 23mi/gal??
is there a difference between those years?
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Barometric pressure sensor maybe? I don't know if that was on the 91s, or what else might be different.
23 mpg is pretty close to what I get.
90 L+ wgn
Impregacy
First Gear

Post by Impregacy »

with an EJ22t swaped into an impreza i get about 25mpg with about 20% in the city, and usually 55-60mph avg. velocity and no a.c. compressor. I think if i spent some money on a new coil pack and 02 sensor and wheel bearings MAF and IAC the economy would improve. but i don't know about the whole spend money to save money thing yet.
Busdriver
First Gear

Post by Busdriver »

Am I turning the engine a little too much for daily driving at 3250 RPM at 75-80mph on the freeways??
a fast car is new to me and I love it, much better than chugging 45mph up the freeway...
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

What final drive ratio is that? 3.9? Sounds a little higher than mine in 5th (I have 3.7). Other than that, it's normal. You should drive a Honda - those things are geared horribly 'cause they have no torque. Something like a 6-speed 'Vette on the other hand ...

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.