Results of my blown transmission....

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

BAC5.2

Results of my blown transmission....

Post by BAC5.2 »

Well, I got anxious. I cracked her open.

What did I find? Immediately when I pulled the center diff housing and the 5th gear shroud, everything looked GREAT!

Everything was clean, shiny, and looked great! My 5th and Reverse balks looked like they have never been used.

Then I split the case....

What I found was upsetting. Not in a "dang I blew that motherfucker UP!" kinda way, but in a "ONLY 2 and a half teeth?" kind of way.

Second gear on the input shaft. 2 teeth were gone. 1 was half there. No real damage to output 2nd, a SMALL chip on the tooth, and that's it. No other cracks or chips.

In fact, the whole gearbox looked great! Ring balk's were clean and in good condition, though the nubs on 2nd and 3rd were a little rounded down from fast shifts and inadequate friction. Of course I can't see the actual friction surface, but I'd imagine it's in good shape considering the lack of friction in there.

But goddamn, talk about an upsetting time. No big catestrophe, no dented case, nothing! It was a clean breakage and I didn't drive the car at all. I only broke PART of 2nd gear! That blows!

Our gears look nearly identical to pre '03 WRX gears, though if they held my driving and abuse for that long, I don't doubt they are stronger. I probably had 50 5k Launches in all kinds of weather, and a few donuts and burnouts and drifts, and it wasn't until I was going 10 miles per hour that it let go!

Kind of impressed that I didn't do more damage. Kind of upset for the same reason, lol.

Oh well.

I'd like to see inside Matt's transmission and check it out! I'll open my 91's tranny and check it out. If the input shaft is good, I might peice together a spare transmission to get me by if I blow up the dogbox.

Pics tonight!

Phil
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

Pics would be great, so I know what to expect. I'm rather hard on my 2nd gear. . .
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

2nd gear is always the first to go.
-Jason Grahn
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Here are some sub-par pictures. The lens on my camera phone is dirty.

I'll see if I can get some better pics tomorrow at the shop.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Damn, that's crazy. After all the hard driving it breaks while you're off boost, going super slow, trippy.

I can't wait to get mine out and cracked open. I have a feeling mines going to be much, much worse though.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
def09
First Gear

Post by def09 »

I have just had this happen too. I have been running a Jdm 411 tranny since the swap, it has been about 8 months with nearly zero abuse on my end. Last week I was cruising off the freeway and crunch! :cry: Removing it today and found one tooth was hanging to the drain plug magnet and the other three were all over the case. Second gear and input shaft toasted. :cry:
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

My 2nd gear and input shaft both lost about 5-6 teeth each.
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

i see that everyone is learing about there turbo 5mts hahahha. awww its been a long time that i havent opend my tranny (5 times).

watch now it will blow up this week hahahahha.