Any 2005 Legacy Owners? Art?

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

petridish38
Second Gear

Any 2005 Legacy Owners? Art?

Post by petridish38 »

My mom has had her 2005 Legacy 2.5i Limited for, I guess a year and a half now... so far, it has had replaced under warranty: 1 rear wheel bearing, she is on her 3rd 6-disc CD player/Dual Zone HVAC control unit (the CD/Radio and HVAC controls are one piece :?), and now the car seems to be eating headlights. Its got 19,000 miles on it and so far its blown two bulbs on the pass side and one on the driver's side. The latest bulb only lasting about 3 months!

Problem 1:The stealership said that they don't have any bulbs in stock. :roll:
The first time the pass side went out was at night, and I had to go on a 9 hour drive to NC the next day. So I had no choice but to go to walmart and get some aftermarket sylvanias to put in there. Which brings me to problem 2.
Problem 2: The car is without headlights (and i'll be damned if i pay another $40 on some lightbulbs that will last 3 months) and they can't give us a rental car since there are aftermarket bulbs installed and there is no way to prove (yet) that the fault isnt mine. I kinda understand that, but the fact that they dont have in stock at least two lightbulbs that will fit at least the Outback, Legacy, and maybe even many/all other 05/06 subarus kinda makes me mad.
I didn't touch the bulb at any time during installation... I even wore gloves and STILL didn't touch the bulb!

Are you guys having this much trouble with your 05's? I know Art has one, but anyone else who has one, or even knows anything about a TSB or something, feel free to chime in.

If only the Lemon Law worked for many different problems instead of one repeating problem (which we are close to with the CD players) :evil:

Thanks
Andrew
1990 Legacy LS Sedan FWD NA MT
209,000 miles!
2002 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon
http://www.myspace.com/petridish38
http://www.cardomain.com/id/petridish38
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

The CD player would qualify the car for Lemon Law in Maryland.

You might want to contact some legal advice. You could probably get the car replaced because of the constant problems. You could probably even go to the dealership and cause a stink with the management.

It happened at my dealership several times.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

my infiniti is the same way with bulbs. dont know why. Head light bulbs last around 3 months. Taillights last a little longer. Actually I need to replace a tail bulb that is out. I never had any bulb probs with any subaru I've owned though. or my civic
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
petridish38
Second Gear

Post by petridish38 »

BAC5.2 wrote:The CD player would qualify the car for Lemon Law in Maryland.
Maybe I should have been more clear... She is on her 3rd as in, it has been replaced only twice. It could be different in Maryland, but here in FL, if they dont fix it in 3 tries, you send them official notification that you wish to enact the Lemon Law... After that, they get one more try to fix the problem, then you get a refund or a new car.

I agree that I should get some legal advice. The fact that its had many different problems should warrant some type of legal action.

Andrew
209,000 miles!
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

Wow, fortunately I've not had these kinds of problems with my GT. I've had the displays on my changer and HVAC go in and out a couple times, but nothing (yet) that I'd warrant a replacement for. (I want to go aftermarket when they import us a dash kit for the limiteds, anyway). And I've had my car about nine months.

I'd definitely keep track of EVERYTHING, and stick the lemon law to the dealership if the changer requires replacement yet again. The fact that your mother's car is eating headlight bulbs would be a clear sign to me that there are some major electrical issues going on.

Also, definitely talk to an attorney, especially if the dealership continues to deny you the help your car's warranty entitles you to. Also, try a different dealership, if another one is not too far to drive to. :)
"Power is NOTHING without control"
1994 & 2005 Legacy GT Wagons
petridish38
Second Gear

Post by petridish38 »

Thanks Art... If I were you I would have the CD changer replaced ASAP! I was having the same problem with the HVAC and CD screens blinking on and off. This was also accompanied by the stereo changing the volume and the HVAC changing the temp on their own, and putting out weird sounds at times.

When they put the second unit in, they said that there were some more updates done to it since they put the first replacement in. So yeah, I would definitely look into getting that replaced Art.

Here is a video of the problems I was having with mine:
http://www.thawa.net/petridish/legacy/radio.mpg

Also, I was looking around on another forum and they have a whole thread with several pages of replies of people whose 05 legacies eat headlights! I smell a class action lawsuit coming on, and I don't think I would be too scared to start it.

Andrew
209,000 miles!
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

I'm just bummed they don't make the new ones in Japan, anymore. :(

Might just have to pick up an old Turbo Leg so I can tell people one of my cars was built overseas. :lol:
"Power is NOTHING without control"
1994 & 2005 Legacy GT Wagons
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

From what I've seen Art, the BC/BF turbos are the only Legacies that are for sure FHI. Everything else could be (and most likely is) SIA.

Very sorry to hear this Andrew. It does appear that you've done your homework, as you have stated that nothing that has happened officially qualifies as a "lemon" problem. I looked into it myself.

It honestly sounds like the 'first-year blues' to me. Since it's the first year for the new model, it's still got a few bugs that they haven't worked out. That sucks, because it makes you feel like a lab rat. But that's the way it happens unfortunately.

You can try raising hell with your service advisor or whoever, in fact, I'd go so far as to try complaining to SOA and specifically mention that you're a loyal Subaru family.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I've noticed most new vehicles eat headlights. Never had a light less than 10 years in any of my old Subarus.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.