Bleed type boost controler

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

irishsetter
First Gear

Bleed type boost controler

Post by irishsetter »

I have just cheaply got a turbo smart bleed type boost controler. I pipe the controler in between the turbo outlet and the solenoid that the outlet connects to. I have tried everything and can,t get a response out of this controler. What am I doing wrong?
Flip_x
Second Gear

Post by Flip_x »

did you try with out the solenoid?
1990 Legacy Sedan LS AWD 5-MT 162k miles Slate Metallic (Sold to Brother)

1992 Legacy SS AWD 5-MT 180k miles Mica Black
irishsetter
First Gear

Post by irishsetter »

No my subaru tech said that I should put it in front of the soleniod to full the ecu on how much pressure there is.
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

Flip_x wrote:did you try with out the solenoid?
Yeah, what he said. Install it in-line from the nipple on the compressor to the nipple on the wastegate actuator.

This configuration should work :D
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

irishsetter wrote:No my subaru tech said that I should put it in front of the soleniod to full the ecu on how much pressure there is.
Even if you do what you have listed, the ecu will learn around it because the ecu thinks it cant control the boost. Hook the boost controller inline, bypassing the solenoid, to the wastegate actuator.

But leave the electrical connection on the solenod plugged in, or you will get an engine code.
irishsetter
First Gear

Post by irishsetter »

ok I just tried it and all i could get was 5-6 psi. I am running 8-9 stock.
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

Did you try turning the screw on the boost controller in?

It sounds like you are running spring pressure on the wastegate, and not creating the restriction needed to raise the boost.
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
irishsetter
First Gear

Post by irishsetter »

It shows to turn the screw out for more pressure and in for less. I turned it almost all the way out and got 5 psi.
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

You should take it off and blow through the inlet, with your mouth, by turning the screw you will be able to quickly see which way will increase or decrease the amount of air coming out of the other side. You want less air to be able to pass out the outlet. That means the turbo will produce more boost.
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

try turning it in then.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

Did you get it to work?
irishsetter
First Gear

Post by irishsetter »

I will try again after work. I did make sure that it was fucntional before I bought it so it should work. Has anyone use a turbox bleed type controler before?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

To control boost with a bleed you need a restriction. Is it possible that this boost controller is meant to be used with an external restrictor?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
irishsetter
First Gear

Post by irishsetter »

This setup came straight out of a wrx and was working just fine.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~v/vacuum/

So you removed hoses M, L, and K (at least), and put the boost controller between the compressor outlet and wastegate actuator with some 1/4" hose?

Are you sure you have the inlet and outlet right?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
irishsetter
First Gear

Post by irishsetter »

I have it T ed off with L on one side and K on the other. I also tryed to T it between L and M. Neither of these are working right.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You're teeing it? I don't understand. You're not still running anything through the boost control solenoid, right?

Any chance you could take a picture?
irishsetter
First Gear

Post by irishsetter »

I wil try to post a picture later. This is a bleed type boost controler. It has to be T ed in order for it to bleed the boost.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I don't think so. If it requires an external tee, then it also requires an external restrictor.

Generally the boost controller is a tee. It has an inlet and an outlet and somewhere also has an orifice (which could be concealed behind something) through which air is bled.
irishsetter
First Gear

Post by irishsetter »

It is a bleed valve meaning one inlet and an adjustable outlet. I was just messing with it and I think it is can't handle the volume that is needed.
irishsetter
First Gear

Post by irishsetter »

Am I suppose to bleed off the air that goes to the waste gate of or the soleniod?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

If it is indeed how you describe it, then it must require an external restrictor. If this device was actually marketed as an MBC, I doubt that is the case.

I would be very surprised if it couldn't handle the volume; that doesn't actually vary that much among factory setups.

You're supposed to be bleeding off air going to the wastegate actuator. No solenoid involved. Your Subaru Tech either miscommunicated or doesn't understand how this works.
irishsetter
First Gear

Post by irishsetter »

It is a Turbox bleed type boost controler. The wrx guys put it T ed off of the line that feeds the pressure sensor that tells the ecu where the presure is at. It works just like a needle valve. It bleeds pressure before the sensor so the waste gate will open and allow more boost. I was hoping that I could make this valve work in some way on our vehicle but I guess not.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I guess I don't know much about WRXes, but that doesn't make any sense to me. You install MBCs on turbochargers, not on pressure sensors.

Try installing the boost controller how I'm saying to. Just try.
irishsetter
First Gear

Post by irishsetter »

I did and it did't work. I am taking it back anyways. I will find out more info on it and post the info so we can all know about this product and that it does not work.