air conditioner help

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

CCorsair
First Gear

air conditioner help

Post by CCorsair »

Hi our 1990 Legacy L wagon is have problems right now that is getting hotter on some days the A/C is cutting out and blowing hot to warm air then after turning all off the A/c works fine and cold.

I need to know what to check for electricaly as I not one to do mecanical type work but I am ok electricaly.

I checked the relays under the hood in the fuse panal there and they were hot but not really hot and i noted that one of the eletric fans were running (engine on) and the one on the right side was off. I was thinging this could be for extra cooling but I don't know for sure.

the A/C had been running ok for the last few days but I try to not push it . I turn it on after using Vent to blow some air through the system before turn it to AC not Max.

Any info on how to check the system befoer taking to a shop would be helpful.

Thanks

CC

sorry for the first post not being clear. hope this better,
Last edited by CCorsair on Fri May 19, 2006 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1990 Subaru Legacy L Wagon AWD.
import_freak
First Gear

Post by import_freak »

Sorry but I have no clue what you just said.
93 legacy turbo sedan
00 jeep wrangler
CCorsair
First Gear

Post by CCorsair »

Ok guess i was try to ask too much .

what need to know has anyone had their A/C cut out and them come back after stoping and going (I.e got the store park then go home and it cuts out.) What signals tell me what on the A/c going out or just electrical?

I just tring to trouble shoot before having to go to a shop.

thanks

CC
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You need to have the pressures checked out and see what's going on. It's possible the expansion valve is freezing shut/open.

Or you may have an electrical gremlin.

I also had a hard time reading your post. On a hot day, does the A/C blow cold air?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
CCorsair
First Gear

Post by CCorsair »

Legacy777 wrote:You need to have the pressures checked out and see what's going on. It's possible the expansion valve is freezing shut/open.

Or you may have an electrical gremlin.

I also had a hard time reading your post. On a hot day, does the A/C blow cold air?
Sorry for the bad post but I was working late(as I am now)and all so I was just trying to post with out really checking for errors.

We get good cold air on hot days and all and I did test it on a cold day too with no problem when we first got the car a few month ago. The problem started just last week after my wife was driving with the AC on and not turning it off after stoping.

It has been really hot out the days it cut off on me(well in the upper 80's to 90's) but the wagon was running well no over heating jus the A/C going from cold to warm to hot them after turnning everything off it comes back with no problems about 30mins of so after maybe less.

I think it could be a A/C rely or some electrical gremlin as I seen to many of them. this wagon seem to have have some work done upder the dash to had thing in and the last owner said they added nothing. they didn't even know the car had an alarm system. I noted the one of the cooling fans under the hood was not running too but not sure if this normal (still need a good manual on this Subaru).

Is there a way i can check the expansion valve my self?
I have checked the A/C relays and they were hot but not very hot to touch.. this my be think they could be geting some shorting to them and having then stick open or closed. Is there away to test the relays?

I can do electrical on the wagon but I don't do much on the mechanical side but I can do teh electrical type work.
I been in cars that have had the coolent go and this isn't like that and I been one where the system got so cold it stop working too and this isn't like that as well.

I siding on electrical but I like to know from someone what to look for on this type wagon.

I am just waiting on some fund to hit the bank to cover a visit to a shop here in Sac. I looking to get a few things done to keep the wagon in good shape and all. I just hope i don't have to sell a lung just to fill my gas tank let anlone get the A/C worked on.

Thanks for the help and again sorry for the bad gramer and spelling.. Laptop key boards suck at typing and I just not an english major.

CC
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The next time you have the problem occur. Don't touch any of the controls, or turn off the engine, pull over to the side of the road, open the hood and verify that the compressor clutch is engaged and compressor is turning. You may want to just run the engine in your driveway with and without the a/c engaged so you can easily spot the difference between the clutch engaged and not engaged.

That will tell you whether your problem is electrical or mechanical/(a/c related)

Do that and report back before doing anything else.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

CCorsair
First Gear

Post by CCorsair »

Legacy777 wrote:The next time you have the problem occur. Don't touch any of the controls, or turn off the engine, pull over to the side of the road, open the hood and verify that the compressor clutch is engaged and compressor is turning. You may want to just run the engine in your driveway with and without the a/c engaged so you can easily spot the difference between the clutch engaged and not engaged.

That will tell you whether your problem is electrical or mechanical/(a/c related)

I try that..I know I can here it kick in but can't tell you iI hear or feel it everytime. I'll try as you said in my drive way today and see.

thanks

CC

BTW what would be the cost on a repair on that is it was the compressor?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I don't think it's the compressor.....but it'll help point to whether the issue is electrical or not.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

CCorsair
First Gear

Post by CCorsair »

Legacy777 wrote:The next time you have the problem occur. Don't touch any of the controls, or turn off the engine, pull over to the side of the road, open the hood and verify that the compressor clutch is engaged and compressor is turning. You may want to just run the engine in your driveway with and without the a/c engaged so you can easily spot the difference between the clutch engaged and not engaged.

Ok I know it has been a bit on this but I finaly got chance to test out what you said with the compressor clutch and yes it had stopped but I taped it and it started right up.
I hzave noted is the Ac cuts out I can fell the compressor clutch stop but is i give it a little gas or gun it up the compressor clutch seems to re-start.

the Ac blow very cold and i talk to a freind who thinks it could be somethinf just gumming it up and he will look at for me some time soon.
It had been working fine but one time but I had cut off to vent wile going on the freeway and it didn't seem to like it till i got back up to speed. I really need to get a manual other than the book the wagon came with.

Ok thanks for pointing me on the right path,

CC
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

It may be an electrical issue also....check all the wiring and make sure every is good.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

CCorsair
First Gear

Post by CCorsair »

Legacy777 wrote:It may be an electrical issue also....check all the wiring and make sure every is good.
looking at the wiring under the dash I thinking the same

one of the passed owners added an Alarm system the people we got the wagon from knew nothing about and the had a radio stolen from the wagon some month befoe seling and did not replace it. The radio was removed clean on the wires but the took whole plastic facing out that held the radio.

The compressor clutch when it stoped restarts with tap if I can stop and open the hood and do that but I can't alway do that ..

the compressor clutch seem to stop if we turn off the AC or turn off the engine with out turning off the AC first.

I plan on having looked at soon

Thanks

CC
CCorsair
First Gear

Post by CCorsair »

a post note as i said the system would cut out and they I stop tap the clutch on the compressor and all would cool off but now it not cooling off and i think i now know what has happen.

Last night I went to do as said above and I open the hood and found the hood stand pole or what eve that thing is that hold the hood open it was resting againsted the compressor clutch and keeping it from turning as the plastic holder tha keeps the stand pole from moving is broken off and it just rest on the plate there were the yello hold was.

So now i try to tap the clutch to start it goes and it does no sound that heathy and all and the AC not blows hot very hot even on vent likr the heat is on hot not AC.

I am thinking Blown AC clutch and compressor? maybe?

It has been hot the wagon it red and we have no shaded to always park in. Also noted as i look down at the 2 front fans only the right one oit running the other is not....is this bad good or what?

Ok well after the wagon has sat I checking the rest of the system I will say this started after i had to push the alarm box back under the dash as the zip tie that keeping it there broke and i just push it up under a wires and this could have unpluged something.

Ok thank for putting up with my mindless rants..

BTw if you are removing you AC to make room like some of you were talking on anothere post if it is good work system and you are in the sacrmaento area we love to talk to you...

Thanks all I going jump tub of Ice now... its just that hot today..

CC