Gas Tank

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

petridish38
Second Gear

Gas Tank

Post by petridish38 »

I'm putting this question in this section because i wasn't really sure where it should go... My friend is trying to remove the gas tank from his legacy. He was having trouble because it is kinda stuck in there... it kinda looks like he might have to remove the whole rear crossmember... Is there any easy way to do this?? I would hope that you wouldn't have to remove the crossmember just to get the gas tank out, but it doesn't look like it can slide forward any further to clear the crossmember.
Any tips to getting the tank out!? i can't figure it out.....but i also didnt look at it for very long...

oh...and by the way its a front wheel drive

Thanks....
1990 Legacy LS Sedan FWD NA MT
209,000 miles!
2002 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon
http://www.myspace.com/petridish38
http://www.cardomain.com/id/petridish38
petridish38
Second Gear

Post by petridish38 »

Anyone... Anyone... I've been waiting 3 whole years for a reply :wink:

but seriously... I would still like to know how to get the tank out... Josh??

Thanks
Andrew
209,000 miles!
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

Wow, thats gotta be a record...

Pick up a haynes manual, it shows you step by step how to drop the fuel tank
98 Steel Widebody RSTi-RA Superbeast
gt2.5turbo
Second Gear

Post by gt2.5turbo »

Splinter wrote: Pick up a haynes manual, it shows you step by step how to drop the fuel tank

[Jingle]"just wait till we get our ....."[/Jingle]

sorry im tired, it was on tv....

and im off to bed
93 White Legacy Turbo Wagon: For Sale-ish
93 White Turbo Sedan: soon with a little more umf
91, funky brown purple gray color, legacy L Wagon: the "its so cheap i cant not pass it up" purchase to get me around when the others are down
petridish38
Second Gear

Post by petridish38 »

As long as that will work. I believe my friend was using the manual. Also, I would assume that he would be capable of taking the tank out since he was then a motorcycle mechanic, and now an airplane mechanic.

If it can be done with a Haynes manual, then I guess I will just get under there myself and try to do it. I was just assuming that there was some catch to it since my friend couldn't do it.

Thanks
Andrew
209,000 miles!
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I believe you do have to remove the rear crossmember. On AWDs the FSM says to remove basically the entire rear suspension and drivetrain.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I don't recall if you can get at the rear bolts for the tank straps without removing the crossmember.

Looking at the FSM, it states, remove muffler, rear suspension crossmember, and rear diff. However in the pics they're still showing the crossmember.

To be quite honest....if you're going through all that work to get the tank out, might as well drop the crossmember...it's not that much more work, since you definitely have to take the rear diff and rear subframe out.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
yazmo
Third Gear

another suprise for me : ( gas tank is leaking

Post by yazmo »

i need a new gas tank asap try to look for one over the net but can't find one anyone know the price and the place i could get it.

150km full tank
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Try car-part.com

Where are you located? Any way to tell where it's leaking from? The filler necks have a tendency to rust through...
SUBARUEHS Racing
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

It's a pain in the ass. I tried it a few months ago on a 90 legacy AWD wagon. The worst part was when I finally got the tank almost out I saw the two covers for the fuel pump and sending units that you remove for easy access to them. I went through all the work for nothing.

I believe you have to remove the crossmember. Remove the rear end and the driveline. Remove the fill tube. Remove a couple straps that hold the tank in place and the fuel lines and unhook the electrical for the fuel pump and sending units. Then it should drop down.

Why do you want to remove it? It seriously sucks and I wouldn't want to do it again.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

i am ocated in montreal quebec.
i have been looking on SubaruParts.com and i found out if it was the correct part 399$ for the tank.

can remember the part number ill have alook tomorrow gotta go in bed thx for the reply guy
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

kimokalihi wrote:It's a pain in the ass. I tried it a few months ago on a 90 legacy AWD wagon. The worst part was when I finally got the tank almost out I saw the two covers for the fuel pump and sending units that you remove for easy access to them. I went through all the work for nothing.

I believe you have to remove the crossmember. Remove the rear end and the driveline. Remove the fill tube. Remove a couple straps that hold the tank in place and the fuel lines and unhook the electrical for the fuel pump and sending units. Then it should drop down.

Why do you want to remove it? It seriously sucks and I wouldn't want to do it again.

that's rough
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
yazmo
Third Gear

need help for confirmation about gaz tank

Post by yazmo »

hello guy so i decide that if i have to change the tank i should go with new tank and since the pipe are not so expensive i thinking of buying them

i wanna know if these item are correct before i order them from subarupart.com anyone can tell me if this fine i have sedan awd turbo 1994 legacy thx in advance

42066AA131 Filler Pipe $118.01

42120AA130 Fuel Tank $320.00

42060AA040 Gasket $7.45

42125AA031 Pt421894 Return Pipe $18.29

42124AA031 Pt421894 Delivery Pi $15.66

42123FA060 Pt421894 Breather Pi $15.66

42124AA050 Delivery Pipe $6.24
yazmo
Third Gear

gas tank

Post by yazmo »

hello guy i have just receive my tank and other part i have ordered.
i wonder if it's a god idea to put some anti-rust paint over the tank to prevent future rust on it? any idea? also anyone know how much time would it take so i can know how much it will cost me!

total price for my part 575$ plus 146 just to take the box from UPS duty tax they call it at this point i am very discouraged lol
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

When I was trying to replace my fuel pump(didn't know you could do that from in the car)I tried removing the gas tank. And let me tell you, it's a bitch. And that's an understatement.

You have to remove the exhaust, the driveline, the rear diff, the crossmember, straps that hold that tank up, the filler neck and the wires to the sending units and pump along with the fuel lines. I may have forgotten something but I hope you never have to do it because it sucks. What was worse still was that my jack was so pathetic it couldn't get the car high enough so I was under the car where my face was just about touching the bottom of the car.

After hours of cussing at the car and filling my eyes up with dirt I started to get the tank down and noticed two small panels that looked like they would give access to something on top of the tank from inside the car... That's when I got inside the car and ripped the carpet up and found out there was a far easier way of replacing the pump. I was less than pleased at that point.

Never again.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson