clutch/starter interlock

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

astv5l
In Neutral

clutch/starter interlock

Post by astv5l »

Intermittant trouble starting, I can hear the click when I push in the clutch, but occasionally having to do it 4 or 5 times to get the starter to engage.

Can anyone give me advice on how to remove or bypass the clutch/starter lock?

Thx
'93 Legacy SS 5MT
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

are you sure it is not the internal contacts in the starter motor ? I had the same symptoms and replacing the starter motor with a rebuild fixed it, for $70.

With an assistant, see if you are getting voltage to the starter when you hear the inoperable click. If you are then it isn't the clutch switch. Also if the lights are dimming noticeably on that click, think starter.
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
astv5l
In Neutral

Post by astv5l »

I'll ck it out tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure that it's something to do with the clutch. The lights don't seem to dim the way you described. Thx
'93 Legacy SS 5MT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

So you are hearing the click when you push the clutch in? If so, the relay is working normally, and it's probably the starter solenoid contacts.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
astv5l
In Neutral

Post by astv5l »

Yep, I'm hearing the click. Crazy thing hasn't done it since I posted so when I ck the voltage at the starter it seems fine. Guess I'll just hang on until it does it again and ck it then.
'93 Legacy SS 5MT
Behemoth
In Neutral

Post by Behemoth »

Try cleaning the battery connections first. Sounds too easy but usually fixes the problem.
'91 Legacy "White Fang"
mgjs1
First Gear

Clutch Switch

Post by mgjs1 »

My car has been getting harder and harder to start because the clutch isn't completing the circuit when you depress it. If it does connect it fires right up, but no clicks or nothin when it does not connect the circuit. Any idea how difficult it is to replace this switch (how much it costs)... or if this might be a cable tightening?

Again, when it starts, it fires right up... but when it doesn't, no clicks or anything. Clutch switch?
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

I'm going with starter solenoid contacts on that one as well. Clutch switches rarely fail, but the starters routinely fail when our cars are this age. It happened to me as well. Turn the key and nothing three or 4 times then the car would start like nothing happened.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

same happened for me. i just let it keep doing that, and one day it didnt wanna start anymore.
00 5MT AWD 2.5 RS - New Project
mgjs1
First Gear

Post by mgjs1 »

That's cool (or that sucks... I guess it depends).

So do I need to replace the starter, or is there something else I can try to take care of the solenoid contacts? I'm near the end... and don't wanna be stranded. Today after work it was 5 minutes without a single click (hot and humid), but then I stomped and turned the key simultaneously and it fired. Then tonight, crackles and fizzles and firing up pretty quick several times in a row (cooler out).

I'm near the end... testing fate.... whatever you wanna say!
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

i just replaced the whole starter, because i dont know how to replace the starter contacts. im sure someone knows how to do that on here. the contacts themselves i believe are pretty cheap compared to a new starter.
00 5MT AWD 2.5 RS - New Project
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Replacing the contacts is pretty easy.

Here are some pics of where they are
http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/images/swap/13
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

mgjs1
First Gear

Post by mgjs1 »

Surpisingly, the problem has now vanished. Now I can start the car without the clutch even depressed all the way to the floor... first turn, every time. Can anyone explain the on again off again nature of this probem?
http://www.circlestickers.com
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The contacts in the starter interlock relay may have welded together. Pull the relay and see if the car starts.

Also check for continuity across the two high current terminal leads. You should not have continuity across those leads without power being applied to the relay's solenoid.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT