BD/BK GT rack is NOT quicker

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

BD/BK GT rack is NOT quicker

Post by entirelyturbo »

... in fact, it's slower :(

Despite what ciper and others have said, the official Subaru documents don't lie.

The BC/BJ/BF rack final gearing ratio is 16.0, and the BD/BK rack is 16.5.

In fact, from all the cars I've checked so far, including early Imprezas, SVXs, Foresters, etc. the BC/BJ/BF rack is actually the quickest rack available. I can't check the WRX/STi ratios, neither the brochure nor the FSM list the ratio, but I feel safe saying the WRX one is quicker, and we know the STi one is quicker for sure. But those racks will not bolt up.

Of course, I was so brilliant in buying a brand-new OEM BD/BK GT rack before actually researching this (there aren't any BD/BK GTs, or hardly any Subarus at all, in JY's around here, and Advance and Autozone don't sell GT-specific racks, which is because the GT rack is the same as the base BD/BK racks :roll: EDIT: The Beck-Arnley rack shows the same number for BC/BJ/BF and BD/BK Legacies :!:), and OEM racks list for $699.95, my price $592.85. :shock:

My original rack is coming apart at an accelerated rate, so much so that I don't even know if it will make it long enough for me to actually afford to pay for the rack and install it.

So now I have to decide whether to put the slower GT rack in and just live with it, or eat $118 of restocking fee, send the GT one back, and try to get a BC/BJ/BF rack from Advance or Autozone.

Obviously, the moral of the story is, do actual research before making hasty decisions, and by research, I mean actual number-crunching from reliable sources, not rumors posted on Internet discussion boards :roll:
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

for those looking for a quicker rack, there are steering quickener gearboxes for around $150. you can get them in 1.5:1 and 2:1.
beats the hell out of however many thousands of dollars it costs to get a quick rack from some brand name subaru performance place. :roll:
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

WRX: 16.5:1
STi: 15:1
Spec-C: 13:1
Rev-lab: 11.5:1
EVO: 13:1

16.5:1 w/ 1.5x quickener = 11:1
apparantly having a quickener could alter how the column acts in an accident.

another internet source

Also if you ran new P/S lines (which wouldn't be too hard or expensive), I don't see why a WRX/STi rack won't bolt up other than width.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

How are your tierods, Mike? Might want to replace those at the same time. I had to fight the bolts that hold on the cover plate in the center of the crossmember, but that was the only trouble I had. I personally think the original rack ratio is perfect for performance driving/relaxed cruising, at least with my small diameter steering wheel anyway. Much quicker and it would be too darty on the highway.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

My tie-rod ends were both replaced during the wheel bearing project, so they're only around 13k miles old.

Inner tie-rods? Never touched them. It's a possibility that those are part of the problem, but in my classic "if-it-ain't-broke-fix-it-until-it-is" fashion, I'd rather just do the whole thing now.

That way, it will be virtually impossible for this f'ing car to make any noise from the suspension ever again, coz the whole thing is new! :roll:

Interesting that the WRX is also 16.5:1. We really got lucky! Hardy says the WRX/STi racks won't fit unless you change Xmembers and steering columns.

I might harass some people at Advance or Autozone or better yet Beck-Arnley and see if I can get a ratio out of them. I'll probably base my decision on that, because even if I return the GT rack I just ordered and eat the $118, I'll still spend around $100 less than what I was planning to if I get the Beck-Arnley rack.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Only the 05+ need a new crossmember. But all the GD/GG require a GD/GG column, or adaptation of the steering coupler.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I just emailed Beck-Arnley, although I'm not expecting much...

I think my standing is at this point, that if I can get confirmation that the Beck-Arnley steering rack is 16.0:1, then I'll just return the GT rack and go with that one.

*still kicking himself for not researching this stuff first and just buying a BC/BJ/BF rack from the start* :evil:

*Formerly DerFahrer*

jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I really don't think 16:1 vs 16.5:1 is worth the $180 or whatever. just get a smaller (JDM tyte) steering wheel and you'll make up the difference. And it's not like your car is a dedicated auto-xer anyway.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

You're probably right. I already have the GT rack sitting at my dealership, it's an OEM Subaru part, and I've already got the money allocated for it.

I already have the smaller JDM tYt3 steering wheel anyway :D

Plus, I'm gonna be using Whiteline rack bushings, so I will feel an improvement there too.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

*sigh*

A guy from Beck-Arnley just emailed me back, and said he has never heard the words "final drive ratio" used to refer to a "steering rack and pinion."

:roll:

I'm not terribly surprised, as all they do is rebuild and resell. I'm not trying to knock Beck-Arnley as a bunch of idiots... it's just that I wish I could get a definitive answer...

But the chances are best that I'll just suck it up and use the GT rack.

*Formerly DerFahrer*