Turbo cool down

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Carbix
First Gear

Turbo cool down

Post by Carbix »

to help stop cracking how long should i wait befor turnning off my car...
|====.[Legacy. Central].====|
|...............................................|
|=+[Leaving A True Legacy]+=|
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

0 seconds.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
gt2.5turbo
Second Gear

Post by gt2.5turbo »

turbo legacys help cool themselves thanks to the design of the stock coolent system
93 White Legacy Turbo Wagon: For Sale-ish
93 White Turbo Sedan: soon with a little more umf
91, funky brown purple gray color, legacy L Wagon: the "its so cheap i cant not pass it up" purchase to get me around when the others are down
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

As long as it takes to make you think it's cooled down. I almost never did this unless I was at speeds over 50mph for long periods of time.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
Carbix
First Gear

Post by Carbix »

all right thanks just thought i should ask. Been seeing on some posts that people let ther car idel befor turning off the car. so that the turbo can cool/....
|====.[Legacy. Central].====|
|=+[Leaving A True Legacy]+=|
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

If you've been running real hard let the turbo spool down by driving steadily for a block or so, or taking a cool-off lap.

Coked a turbo bearing ---once :!:

Otherwise just turn it off--that's what the coolant tank is for. :-)
Subtle (normally aspirated engines suck):
05 Legacy GT Wagon with Cobb chip.
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
93 Leg Twgn fmic, vf34, etc. ((sold))
MY99 2.5GT
First Gear

Post by MY99 2.5GT »

So you guys really don't believe in turbo timers?
gt2.5turbo
Second Gear

Post by gt2.5turbo »

oh no i love mine

i run one just because i beat the crap outa that little turbo in the mountains about once a week to the point of glowing bright red :twisted: And whenever i drive for a few hours strait on the interstate i like to let it cool down. You can pick up used turbo timers from 50-100 bucks all the time so i see it as worth while so i dont have to sit and wait to turn my car off. :D
91, funky brown purple gray color, legacy L Wagon: the "its so cheap i cant not pass it up" purchase to get me around when the others are down
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

Turbo timers are totaly pointless. If you have a water cooled CHRA and run a modern good quality oil, especialy a modern synthetic, you'll never coke your turbo bearings. Turbo timers were needed in the days of weak oil and non cooled turbos. The only reason companies wtill sell them is because people think they're cool and buy them. If you're not running a 72 turbo porsche, you don't need one.
- Junior
90L Wagon EJ22E on Toyota CT-26 boost -- Crushed!
95L Wagon on T3/T4 boost :)
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]
gt2.5turbo
Second Gear

Post by gt2.5turbo »

then why did subaru recommend letting the car idle after a long drive on the highway as printed on our visors? I mean i know that they really arent needed in a stock car with a coolent design like ours but i think for me at least i prefer to let my car idle for a while after driving it hard. I see it as an added since of security personally and the turbo timer makes it way convient so i dont have to sit and wait to turn it off. just set it, lock the doors, and carry on with whatever. I used it over the winter all the time as well. I could go outside set the timer for 7-8mins and let the car warm up and defrost the windows while i got ready for school and didnt have to worry about my car getting jacked outside my apartment parking lot because the keys were with me not in the car. I picked up mine for 60 bucks and i believe its worth the convience even though its not a necessary item .
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Uh, I've been wasting gas following the directions on the visor...boy do I feel dumb...Come'on really? Board heavyweights can you weigh in on this???
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

the info on that visor was written nearly 20 years ago, when synthetics were rediculously expensive and conventional oils didn't have the heat resistant additives they have now. In 1989, when the finnishing touches were put on the turbo leggy, it was a different scenario.
- Junior
90L Wagon EJ22E on Toyota CT-26 boost -- Crushed!
95L Wagon on T3/T4 boost :)
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

Turbo Timers are for Ricers. :smt073
Subtle (normally aspirated engines suck):
05 Legacy GT Wagon with Cobb chip.
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
93 Leg Twgn fmic, vf34, etc. ((sold))
gt2.5turbo
Second Gear

Post by gt2.5turbo »

I was just pointing out that it was printed on the visor and so obviously at some point it was/is benifical letting your car cool down a bit. Again it is all personal preferance. If you dont want to run one then thats cool you dont need too. But i dont run fully synthetic motor oil, todays mid range motor oil works perfectly for what i need. I just see it as a prevenative maintance item and for me at least a convience to have. The last thing i want to have to do is replace my turbo because i coked the bearings, even though it isnt very likely because ,like stated above, the technology behind oils now a days... But i really dont see shutting your car down with a turbo glowing red as helping anything either

Do you absolutely need one? not really. Do you absolutly need to let your car cool down after driving it? not all the time. Its a personal preferance item and i find myself using it all the time for other things besides just letting the car cool down.
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

what THAWA siad o seconds LOL.

man i race my car 19psi full blast, and shut it down its a rally car. stick a granade in the hood and the motor will keep going.
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
The Scooby
Second Gear

Post by The Scooby »

i guess im a ricer then. ive got my Greddy full auto timer set to 1.30 when im done driving, i dont care how it was degisned from the factory, the oils now a days etc. i think its a good thing to let it idle for a tad and circulate cooler oil throught that hot arse turbo. i just see it as you can never be over causious. would you let your timing belt go until it breaks, or do it every 50k like i do so you gont get stuck that one day on the side of the road.

just my preferance though.
1999 Impreza Outback Sport w/ MY02 WRX complete swap

1986 GL wagon
EJ'ed and Lifted
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

good way of looking at it, but everything need to be replaced sooner or later.
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

I like mine. It's peace of mind. And I can set it for 10 mins and run into a building whilst parked illegally and not score a ticket, or run out before I go to the mountain and let it warm up with out leaving the keys in it.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

My old leggy had a remote start on it. I could set the remote start while it was running, take out the keys, and turn it off later with the remote or let it run until it shut off automatically. It was quite useful, especially when I wanted to blow out all the cold a/c air so I didn't get mold (which my new car has).

I've been thinking about hacking the old system out of the parts donor and installing it in the Lee, but I'm not too keen on the idea my car driving out of my driveway without me in it. I've watched it happen to my friend's firebird in my driveway, although my dad just kept laughing as it hit his truck at 2 mph.
-2004 Liquid Silver WRX "Pretty Hate Machine"
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

Richard wrote: I'm not too keen on the idea my car driving out of my driveway without me in it. I've watched it happen to my friend's firebird in my driveway, although my dad just kept laughing as it hit his truck at 2 mph.
:lol: Happened to me at Wal-Mart! I've got a thread on here about all that, and it won't ever happen again. Just wire it up to the nuetral safety switch so it can't start in gear.
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!
shemoves
Second Gear

Post by shemoves »

I am also a fan of the TT. If I ever forget something in the house, or if I leave the car to return a movie or something I can leave the car running without the key in it.

It also allows me to warm up the car without having to worry about forgetting that I left it on.
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

NICO I WRX U wrote:
man i race my car 19psi full blast, and shut it down its a rally car. stick a granade in the hood and the motor will keep going.

And that makes NO sense...typical Nico lol!

Anyway...I always let my SS idle...pretty much after any driving...I run full synthetic oil (Mobil 1) and I always slow down on the last couple minutes before I get home, and I still idle down...call me obsessive...but I have yet to yack a turbo... :o
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

I treat my current NA car almost the same as I did my turbo, especially on cold starts and after hard driving. Treat it well and it'll get you there and back.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

I am going to be getting a turbo timer soon. I am one of thoes people who lets my SS cool down after driving. I do, however, have an electric cutout after a 3" 4' downpipe so I am basically driving around with just a catless downpipe most of the time which keeps my turbo spooled at 2k. I try and give it a minute with the cutout out closed (it routing through the normal stock exhaust post downpipe) just to let the turbo un spool for a bit before turning the car off.
1994 Crimson Pearl SS [ td04, 06 fxt tmic,3" catless dp -> apex GT spec exhaust, EDM Tails ]