odd squeak from rear springs?

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Bane
First Gear

odd squeak from rear springs?

Post by Bane »

I am hearing this odd squeak... sort sounds like the springs in the bed when you've been giving it a workout :D

only happens in the rear, most easily noticed during HARD turns, but have occasionally heard it over a bump.

never noticed the noise before... when i was on 15" rims and tires.

if it means anything i am of the opinion that there is much body less roll now with the 18" rims and tires.

this is the 3rd week with the rims and it's only really started making this noise since last thursday or friday.

The car is on WRX struts and springs since last august, which in turn have made the car a little higher then stock maybe .5-.75" higher. they are from an 02 wrx with what i was told was about 50km, to which i have added another 60km by now.

could the lessened roll in the tire side wall be causing the springs to wear out prematurely?

or is this something that other people have seen or heard before?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

lol... if i HAVE to lower it, i guess i have no other choice. ;)
James L

'07 Magnum SXT - not stock
-
'93 Legacy Turbo SS - 5spd conv, vf34, intercooled, K&N, dual stage mbc 11/16psi, hks 3" turbo-back w/hi-flow cat, kyb's, ADR 18" rims w/225/35/18zr's, 7" touch screen w/race camera
Legacypusher
First Gear

Post by Legacypusher »

I don't know if this will help with your situation, but I had new struts installed and suddenly had a squeak on the right rear that drove me crazy. I cured it by squirting lube on the bottom of the spring where it sits on the strut flange. You might give it a try.. Just a thought.
Don

'90 L wagon, fwd, 5MT, 156K, purchased new 11/89, and running like a top. What a great car this continues to be.