Old car owners are the best

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Old car owners are the best

Post by entirelyturbo »

Does it seem to anyone else that the most serious car enthusiasts are into older cars?

Take us, for example. The active members of this board are way more enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and friendly than the vast majority of NASIOC, not just about our own cars, but cars in general. Even the big-power-tuner guys over there would still probably have to have a shop fix something like their broken window regulator, or would utter nothing more than "Duh" when asked about which two engine sizes were available in the 70's Opel GT.

This doesn't just apply to Internet forums either. Some of the coolest guys I meet in the automotive scene are guys who have older cars. They're the ones who know every nut and bolt of the car, they're the ones who not only love to share their own car knowledge, but also gather it, they're the ones who are REAL enthusiasts. The 'new car guys' just seem to want to show off what they have.

Why is this? Good question, but I think it's because ultimately, they have new cars, and because they neither need to, nor care to, learn more about all of the automotive world. In short, they just want the car to go, and go fast, and they don't care what it takes to do that.

We, though, have to keep our cars running for one thing, whether that entails doing a timing belt or changing an axle. THEN, those of us with leadfoots, we have to do the same tuning and modding to get power out of older, less-technologically-advanced engines and chassis. Our collective knowledge as a group covers just about everything about BC/BJ/BF Legacies, not just certain aspects of them.

And, I don't think we do this just because we're broke and can't afford to have a shop fix our car, or because we can't justify spending all that money on an old car... I think it's because we're geniunely interested in learning about our cars and how they work.

Okay, enough self-ass-kissing :lol:. Who else agrees with me?
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

Yea, we kick ass.
98 Steel Widebody RSTi-RA Superbeast
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

Heh, any time my car goes into the shop, I always watch the mechanic do what he's going to do. I find it fascinating.

I always tell people that if they would spend any bit of time learning about the vehicle they drive, they could save themselves tremendous amounts of money. But no, they'd rather go to the stealership and get screwed.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
wiscon_mark
Fourth Gear

Post by wiscon_mark »

Agreed 100%.

Not to say that there aren't extremely knowledgeble New car owners..but even a large percentage of them graduated from older cars like the 90s Legacys. If you ask a lot of diehard Subaru owners that have WRXs, most of them previously owned a Legacy, Loyale, or GL :)
[url=http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=486]1995 Legacy Outback 5MT[/url]
185,000 miles
www.sl-i.net (for all Legacys!)
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

Only a real enthusiast would put up with all the bullshit of owning an old car and not running it into the ground (which doesnt require a bbs).
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Ah, the BBS. Words cannot express the gratitude I have for thee. :much love:
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

" Old car owners are the best"

There are two meanings in the observation.

Just to be on the safe side, I'll agree with both. 8)
Subtle (normally aspirated engines suck):
05 Legacy GT Wagon with Cobb chip.
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
93 Leg Twgn fmic, vf34, etc. ((sold))
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

I think we need a system of mathematical grouping parenthases to clarify this title for the ultimate in nerdification. I vote for:

(old car) owners are the best

and don't quite agree with:

old (car owners) are the best

as they usually don't drive their cars, however sweet, like they should.

...You're welcome. :lol:
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
Legacypusher
First Gear

Post by Legacypusher »

I'm probably the oldest old guy on this bbs, and I have nothing but respect and gratitude to all of the contributors for the helpful (and very entertaining) things I have learned here. My old wagon is the best ride I have ever owned and I hope to keep it running for another 150K miles. Thanks to you all for your friendly advice and prompt responses when I had questions. You guys are great!
Don

'90 L wagon, fwd, 5MT, 156K, purchased new 11/89, and running like a top. What a great car this continues to be.
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

I have nothing against a new car. Just please give me one for free.....or $500.
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
Soul Shinobi
Second Gear

Post by Soul Shinobi »

Ever since I got this old Legacy my pride in it builds by the day. Thank you, thank you so much.

251,xxx miles and it still drives like a sports car. I love learning technical things, I just don't know what the hell I'd do with a new car! I love improving things, again, a new car would discourage me from doing so...

God I want to smack my friend Omar who's always getting hyped over the newest thing Subaru's doing with their cars. It's just not realistic. I also want to smack him because his dad bought him a new 2004 Impreza WRX last year. In fact, my Legacy is Omar's old car, and not too long before that, his dad's pride and joy. Truth is Omar and his family are the greatest people I've ever met (they take care of their stuff, and I got the car for $50) and Omar truly respects his car for what it is and for it being a gift to him, but I'd just rather things not be that way for me.

I'm going to take care of this car and make his father proud. And then, god dammit, I'm going to make you all proud when I take this car to 300,000 miles with no major failures. So help me god I fucking will.
-Nick
1992 BC Legacy L Sedan AWD 5MT 272,000 - Wish you the best
1998 BK Legacy L Wagon 5MT 234,000 miles - RIP
2002 SF Forester S Wagon 5MT 215,000 miles - Current winter sleigh
1986 FC Mazda RX-7 GXL Coupe 5MT 155,000 miles - Summer cruiser
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

+1 for Loyales! hahaha
1992 T-Leg = 195whp 197wtq SOLD :(
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm