For those with WRX coolant tanks.....

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

For those with WRX coolant tanks.....

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

How do you have yours mounted and plumbed?

I just got mine in the mail today, and I have a few ideas, but wanted to see what you guys had done.

I was thinking of mounting it in the space between the engine and the ABS unit/airbox with a steel bracket holding it to the ABS unit's mount.

My main concern is whether or not the turbo will get enough coolant if plumbed to the largest nipple on the top.

What exactly do all on the nipples on the stock tank go to? I know one goes to the radiator right next to the upper rad hose and one goes to the turbo as a coolant feed line (or is it a return line?), and the other just goes to the bottom of the engine, though I don't know where........
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

Well, I have a Legacy twin turbo coolant tank, not a wrx one, but I mounted it between the motor and the abs stuff.

The large nipple on the top goes to the turbo, the large nipple out the bottom returns to the water pump.
As for the two small nipples, the one by the filler cap is the overflow, and the other goes to the nipple on the rad.
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

That looks just like a WRX tank, and that's right where I want to put mine.

Any pics of the bracket?
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

Here's a thread I brought up when I was trying to do the same thing:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... light=awic

I talk about hooking up the coolant tank and the problems I ran into. Mainly, I first tried to run directly from the tank to the waterpump on the lower large hose line. The problem was that in the hardline that went from the origional coolant tank to the waterpump, there is a T in it where a line comes off it and hooks up to the throttle body and the idle air control valve. You can see it in this picture:

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8 ... P_4996.JPG

I routed my line back along the engine and back into that hardline. The other way I was leaking coolant out that hardline even though it didn't appear to be hooked up to anything.
For those of you who didn't catch it in my post earlier, there is a line coming from the intake, I belive, into the middle of that hardline that connects the stock coolant filler tank to the water pump. Point being, if you routed the lower 1/2" line from the bottom of your wrx coolant tank directly to the water pump, and thereby disconnecting the hardline from the waterpump, you potentially have a problem with your system.

I found this out because I was tired of waiting for the wrx coolant tank to fill the system with coolant, so to speed things up I popped off the 5/16" line going to the radiator, and with a small funnel I filled the system that way. I got it almost full before I started having coolant flowing out of that hardline. I checked some diagrams and found that in the middle of the hardline there is a small line that comes off of it and it looks like it goes up the underside of the intake.

I'm guessing you'll want this back in the system. If you haven't done anything about this I'd be watching your coolant very closely.

I have since fixed this problem by rerouting my line to the back of the engine rather than the waterpump, and I have the hardline connected to the water pump again.

-Ryan
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

georryan wrote: I routed my line back along the engine and back into that hardline. The other way I was leaking coolant out that hardline even though it didn't appear to be hooked up to anything.
That's what I did with my WRX tank install also. I hadn't even thought about going directly to the water pump, but figured it was easiest to just hook the tank up to the stock locations.
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

mikec wrote:
georryan wrote: I routed my line back along the engine and back into that hardline. The other way I was leaking coolant out that hardline even though it didn't appear to be hooked up to anything.
That's what I did with my WRX tank install also. I hadn't even thought about going directly to the water pump, but figured it was easiest to just hook the tank up to the stock locations.
I was already planning to route the coolant line back to that hardline.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

IronMonkeyL255 wrote:That looks just like a WRX tank, and that's right where I want to put mine.

Any pics of the bracket?
Here is a pic of the bracket, it something simple I welded up. It fits good and does the job.

I just drilled a hole through the forked end to hold the tank, and drill another hole on the end of the base. I used the bolt that holds down the botton corner of the air filter box.
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

That's sweet. I wish I knew how to weld :(
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
createnew
First Gear

Post by createnew »

What are the advantages of a WRX coolant tank? Besides that it's metal?
Yellow '01 Kaw. ZX-7R (SOLD) :(
Gold '88 Starion ESI-R (Drift Project)
Brgndy '92 Legacy SS, Agency Power Style Headers and Up-pipe (ebay, don't stay together), Underdrive Pully, 5MT conv, mod'd WRX cold air intake and short shifter, 12.5 lb fly
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

It's metal.

Seriously, that's about the only reason to get one.

I wanted one because I cracked one of the nipples and sealed it back with JB weld. I wanted something I didn't have to worrk about breaking again. Besides, a new tank means new mounting options, since it has different mounting holes.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS