STI R180 length

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

STI R180 length

Post by Splinter »

I know what with the STI tranny you need to use a different driveshaft, is the same true for the rear diff? Im talking to a guy about an R180 and im wondering if its gonna work with my current drive shaft.
98 Steel Widebody RSTi-RA Superbeast
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

You should be able to swap the flanges if need be.
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

With the Sti driveshaft and a non STI rear diff, you need to use the driveshaft from an automatic version of the car. The 6-speed is the same length as the automatic.

As for the rear diff, I believe the bolt pattern is the same.

In fact, I believe the only difference in the DriveShaftShop STi and WRX driveshafts is the length (the STi is shorter, obviously).

Since the car isn't a daily, and the R180 is pimp, get the diff and if the driveshaft doesn't work, go from there. You aren't hopeless at that point.

I think it'll be fine though. I think the length of the diff is the same as the R160.

Have you looked into an upgraded diff for the R160 though? That's what breaks in the 160 is the spider gears, not the ring and pinion. Toss in a KAAZ clutch type rear diff, and your R160 will hold as much power as the 180 will without a problem.

Unless you want the R180 for the added fluid capacity.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

And the KAAZ is pimp.
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Yea, the KAAZ diff is almost identical to the Cusco 1.5way rear diff.

Not as cool as the PPG rear diff though...
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

All said and done, Im not going to be making THAT much power, nor am I doing a RWD conversion.

It's just a really good deal - $360 shipped.
98 Steel Widebody RSTi-RA Superbeast