steering rack options (updated !)

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

A true 2:1 would be violent as shit.

~11:1 gives you just about 2 turns lock-to-lock, if I remember right.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
dwreck30
Second Gear

Post by dwreck30 »

I have someone that will sell me the rack out of a '98 GT and was just comfirming that it will fit. Everybody was talking about the '97 rack and I assume that the rack didnt change between years right? Do I need anything else besides the rack itself? Lines or pump? Will the pump bolt up to our cars too? Also, what would you guys pay for shipping one? I'm just trying to get a ballpark. Thanks
- Derek
'06 STi
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

integrator wrote:I was in at the dealer and he said the rack from a 2.5 RS wouldn't work. I don't necessarily believe him though. I priced a dealer rack for my car and it was $1700 List.
Can anyone confirm that a 2.5RS rack won't work? My car is currently undrivable and I have to have a rack shipped halfway across the country.
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

My God. No wonder why you guys call us stealerships.

They guy who said it was $1700 literally marked it up over $1000. Yes. That's right.

List price is $676.66 for a brand-new, OEM, Impreza rack. It looks like from 97-up, all the racks for the Impreza are the same part number, so there's no reason to pick one off a 2.5RS as opposed to an L.

Will it fit? Honestly couldn't tell you. The part numbers are definitely different, but that doesn't mean much.

Just get a used rack off one of these cars. Like I said in the other thread, I found that our racks are quicker than EVERY EJ-series Subaru rack except the STi.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

Unfortunately, I'm at the will of my friend, as I'm in a town with less than 1000 people, and over 8 hours from the nearest dealership. I was actually surprised when the auto parts place 30 minutes from here had an oil filter for a Subaru.

Provided the fittings are the same (which I'm sure he checked), I'll just bend the lines to mate up. Maybe I can look later at swapping the internals, as somehow the case itself is cracked.
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3