Rear speakers in my wagon won't fit!

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

conrAWD
First Gear

Rear speakers in my wagon won't fit!

Post by conrAWD »

I bought some new Pioneer 4 way's for the front and rear...replacing what I can only assume were stock clarion speakers with cardboard cones. The fronts fit fine with some spacers (metal 3/4" washers from Home Deopt) but I'm having some major issues with the rear.

For starters the fuel separator tank is in the way...I'm thinking of using a Brass T or 3 way manifold instead. Has anyone done this?

Is there another option? I bought spacers for the rears but these will push the speakers up so high that the covers won't fit over them.

On the drivers side there is a wire harness connection I think I might just move down on the bracket.

Tomorrow night I'm planning on ripping apart the rear interior and working on this. I'd appreciate any tips or advice you guys might have. Thanks!
Last edited by conrAWD on Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
94 Legacy Touring Wagon
83 GL Wagon "Mountain Goat" - Sold
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

Buy speakers that fit, that is the key. I bought Pioneer TS-G1641R 6.5 in 3 ways. They fit without issue. You are not going to hear any difference from your 4 ways to three ways and the magnet will probably be smaller. The only problem which i had which is unrelated to the speaker install is that the factory wiring looked like it was going under the yellow plastic speaker housing on the right rear and was being pinched and shorting to ground. This was causing my radio to shut off output. I found that and cut out the squashed part and it was fine. just FYI
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
conrAWD
First Gear

Post by conrAWD »

That would be too easy. I can't return the speakers I bought so I'll have to make do with what I have.
94 Legacy Touring Wagon
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

conrAWD wrote:That would be too easy. I can't return the speakers I bought so I'll have to make do with what I have.
well good luck trying to get a square block into a round hole.

you cant really make the shock tower any lower and you certainly arent going to make the rest of the plastic cover any higher without it looking all f'd up. your only chance is to take the speaker covers and cut a hole in them on the top and surface mount the speakers to the cover from the top but if you use the cargo cover this will intefere with that and it will also look like ass.

In the future do a little research and buy what fits for speakers, not what is going to pound with your 500 watt jenson amp.
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
conrAWD
First Gear

Post by conrAWD »

"In the future do a little research and buy what fits for speakers, not what is going to pound with your 500 watt jenson amp."

For the record I am against anything Jensen. I'm not using an amp to power my speakers, and on a students budget I found what I thought sounded the best. I'm looking for ways to make it work, or input from anyone who has done this to their car. I appreciate your ideas, but could use without the criticism next time.
94 Legacy Touring Wagon
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

I'm sorry if you are feeling sensitive about wasting your money on equipment that wont fit. I dont think there is anything wrong with what I said and I dont think I am criticizing you in any way by telling you that you made a mistake. I gave you some input and given the fact that I am the only person who took the time to do so you would think that you would take my advice and not act as though you have been insulted.
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

magicmike wrote:I'm sorry if you are feeling sensitive about wasting your money on equipment that wont fit. I dont think there is anything wrong with what I said and I dont think I am criticizing you in any way by telling you that you made a mistake. I gave you some input and given the fact that I am the only person who took the time to do so you would think that you would take my advice and not act as though you have been insulted.
dear magicmike,

Amen!
and +1

as for you conrAWD,

1. chill the F*** out.

2. use this to make it work

regards,
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
polychrome
In Neutral

Why not do what everyone does with their mistakes... eBay

Post by polychrome »

I think you'll have more work than its worth so if the speakers don't fit, sell them on eBay and buy some that will fit. It looks like what you want (TS-G1641R is a 2-way) goes for $40 at WalMart, and what you have, Pioneer 4-ways, sell for $50 and up + shipping on eBay. You should come out a few bucks ahead on the deal.

Oh, and BTW there's nothing wrong with paper cones unless you get them wet, they don't color the sound like plastic. If you are unhappy with the factory sound, after 14 years the rear speaker's surrounds (the foam hump between the cone and the metal basket) may be crumbling. Almost any pair of speakers weighing the same or more than the original will probably be enough to restore the original sound. The rear speakers don't contribute all that much to the sound in the front seat.
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

What is the mounting depth for the speakers in the back?
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

dzx wrote:What is the mounting depth for the speakers in the back?
I'm not sure what it is in inches but I know not much deeper than the stock speakers will fit. I checked the mounting depth on my pioneers and it said 1 5/8 inches. I would guess you dont have much more than that to play with. I never measured when I had the speaker out.
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

hmm thanks Mike. I was looking at some speakers on ebay and they were over 2 inches to almost 3. Glad I didnt bid on them. I'll have to measure the speakers sometime before i buy some new ones.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

dzx wrote:hmm thanks Mike. I was looking at some speakers on ebay and they were over 2 inches to almost 3. Glad I didnt bid on them. I'll have to measure the speakers sometime before i buy some new ones.
Take it from me. you do not need a large magnet on a 6 inch midrange speaker. especially if you are not amplifying it. for the price and the sound quality, pioneers are the best cheapest sounding speakers you can get. unless you want to get into the 3 hundred dollar range on some IM (integrally mounted) mid and tweeter sets.
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

I was thinking some boston acoustics. My Tacoma had a nice sound system and now the legacy just sounds flat.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
conrAWD
First Gear

Post by conrAWD »

After spending some time a Home Depot and the back of the wagon I was able to get the speakers to fit. I replaced the fuel separator with some simple home plumbing supplies. Heres what you need:

3 1/8" barb's for the hoses to attach to

1 1/8" Brass T

1 1/8" Extender nut

I attached all the hoses to the barbs and making sure to keep one higher up than the others (the reason for the extender nut).

On the other side I just drilled a new hole for the wire cluster to attach to and put the interior back together.

System sounds great, and I'm very pleased with the sound of the speakers. I wish I had pics to post, but I was without a digi camera and crunched for time when I was doing this. If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me. Thanks for everyone's help!
94 Legacy Touring Wagon
carfreak85
First Gear

Post by carfreak85 »

Nice job Conrad! Glad to hear you got those speakers in after all! I'll have to get a ride in that next time I come down, which should be on the 20th.

MagicMike, I think you were kinda rude too. The way you responded was harsh, when all he needed to be told was that he should have done more research (I agree, this guy is pretty impulsive). Instead of adding constructive comments or advice, you belittled him, then went off on a tangent about wires shorting in your wagon. That's probably why he took offense. Oh, and he STILL got those speakers in, no thanks to anyone here... YOU DA MAN CONRAWD!
1975 Superstar Wagon
1984 GL-10 Turbo-Traction Wagon & Hardtop
1987 & '87.5 RX coupes
1987 RX Type-RA
2002 WRX sedan
2019 Outback 2.5i Limited
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

carfreak85 wrote:Nice job Conrad! Glad to hear you got those speakers in after all! I'll have to get a ride in that next time I come down, which should be on the 20th.

MagicMike, I think you were kinda rude too. The way you responded was harsh, when all he needed to be told was that he should have done more research (I agree, this guy is pretty impulsive). Instead of adding constructive comments or advice, you belittled him, then went off on a tangent about wires shorting in your wagon. That's probably why he took offense. Oh, and he STILL got those speakers in, no thanks to anyone here... YOU DA MAN CONRAWD!
in the fine words of arctic...

wow.

but nice job conrAWd, thats sweet!
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.