transmission goes into neutral in right turns

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Kowalski
First Gear

transmission goes into neutral in right turns

Post by Kowalski »

so my car is fucking up again, i think it's the torque converter this time. whenever i make a right turn the car just revs like it popped into neutral, and every once in a while it starts making a weird whining noise that can be made louder and quieter by stepping on and letting off of the pedal. it also doesn't like to move from a stop in the morning right away, i have to let it creep forward a bit then it moves fine. anyone have a good idea of what's wrong? i had a bad pan gasket leak last month and it ran low for a while but i'm pretty sure its full now.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Why don't you check the fluid level then?? I suggest you try changing the oil a few times and if that doesn't work, add some additives like lucas transmission fix.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
Kowalski
First Gear

Post by Kowalski »

i just filled it with fresh fluid less than a week ago when i did the pan gasket. it made the weird noise before that but the right turn thing just started happening like 3 days ago. its kind of a bitch to check the oil regularly though, the bolt that holds the dipstick in broke off flush with the trans, and i cant find a way to extract it without dropping the trans so i just have a plug in it most of the time. i'll check it tomorrow though when i can get it on a lift.
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

My 4EAT does the same thing in the mornings. I let the car sit for a month and I had to hold the pedal at 2500rpm for a few seconds before the car would move.

I'm shopping around for a transmission right now. I've considered the transmission additive, but even my gas mileage has dropped about 8mpg from slippage.
SUBARUEHS Racing
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Lucas helps with tranny issues sometimes.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Are you sure you checked the level correctly? The engine needs to be running, the gear selector slowly moved through all the gears and back to park.

Did you do all that when you checked the level?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm