94 legacy Turbo, Canada

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Dont worry i will, i just put gas in it and am waiting for my brother and his friend so i can get his camera, i hope you all will tune in!

Everybody check this thread later for video footage of my car trying to start! In a few hours or so
FastRust
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

So i tryed to Start it...

My brother Says It was getting spark At the coil

But i dont think it was getting fuel, i put lots of gas in there and everything was working when i parked it just no gas, I noticed the gas gauge wasent reading anything with the key turned on, Well now its starting to rain ill try some more when he gets off work, this is Dissapointing.

Is it possible i have air my system, Because i left the car with no gas (almost none) i changed the fuel filter and when i opened the gas cap to fill it with gas there was massive amounts of pressure, Sorry i didnt film it i had no batteries, ill try again in 2 or so hours, So spark but no fuel...
FastRust
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Spark off the COil

Spark off the right side wires,

No spark off the left side front wire, im going to replace plugs and wires and go from there, you can hear the fuel pump with the key on.
FastRust
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

So what do you guys think>?
FastRust
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Can Somebody post a picture of their fuel filter?

Ive got a diffrent Fuel pressure regulator than stock, Could this be effecting anything? Its alot bigger and
comes from a wrx, along with the rails which are converted to topfeed, are these any problems?

Ive got an STI fuel pump
FastRust
Bane
First Gear

Post by Bane »

round thing next to the wrx coolant resevoir. Between brake fluid and windshield washer.
you may be on to something.

rails and injectors shouldn't make too much of a difference (people swap them all the time), but a different regulator?

Good luck.
James L

'07 Magnum SXT - not stock
-
'93 Legacy Turbo SS - 5spd conv, vf34, intercooled, K&N, dual stage mbc 11/16psi, hks 3" turbo-back w/hi-flow cat, kyb's, ADR 18" rims w/225/35/18zr's, 7" touch screen w/race camera
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Thanks, i know where the fuel filter is, its just the markings on it are bit misleading so i thought i might of hooked the lines up wrong, ill go look it looks like i got it the same way, thnkas
FastRust
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

So i think i found my problem, Spark plugs covered in oil, Dont jump to any conclusions yet it was old oil that was in the engine when i got it ( i know i know i left the original spark plugs in there, o totally forgot)

So i cant get them out right now, but my dads bringing home an extendo magnet and i hope itll start up this time!
FastRust
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

SO i replaced my plugs and NOthing.

The car cranks, But dosent do anything, I checked for spark, its there, on the coil and on the end of the wire its there.

So seeing how my sister is a nurse i borrowe her stesacope, Put it to one of the injectors and i dont hear anything, i heard a few small click on one of them but nothing.

Which is cylinder 1, 2, 3 and 4?

Also, I checked the line to the regulator for fuel there was fuel there, i checked the line after it and i heard nothing but air come out, I tryed the return line and fuel came out. When i crank my car and stop cranking my fuel pump sounds alot louder than it used to, Is my fuel system building enough pressure for the injectors or they simply not working?

Does someone have a ghetto injector tester for me to use?

GOD IM PISSED!
FastRust
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

Does it have fuel in the tank?
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

3/4 tank of fresh fuel
FastRust
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Anybody, Please!
FastRust
Bane
First Gear

Post by Bane »

That sucks. I have no suggestions... my starting problems always seem to be electrical-related.

It sounds like maybe you've isolated the problem though?

Here are the two entries from the Haynes manual. Maybe something will jump at you? If something does, i can look up the related troubleshooting steps?

ENGINE WILL NOT ROTATE WHEN ATTEMPTING TO START:

1. batter terminal connections loose or corroded
2. battery discharged or faulty
3. automatic transaxle not completely enaged in park, or clutch pedal not completely depressed
4. broken, loose or disconnected wiring in the starting circuit
5. starter motor pinion jammed in flywheel ring gear
6. starter solenoid faluty
7. starter motor faulty
8. ignition switch faulty
9. starter pinion or flywheel teeth worn or broken

ENGINE ROTATES BUT WILL NOT START:

1. Fuel tank empty
2. battery discharged (engine rotates slowly)
3. battery terminal connetions loose or corroded
4. leaking fuel injectors, faulty fuel pump, pressure regulator
5. broken or stripped timing belt
6. ignition components damp or damaged
7. worn, faulty or incorrectly gapped spark plugs
8. broken, loose or disconnected wiring in the starting circuit
9. broken, loose or disconnected wires at the ignition coil or faulty coil.

looking at #4 in the 2nd scenario as you suspect, i've not written down the ones that mean poor running, just the ones that could stop it:

check battery
check fuses
injector test light to check for proper voltage

to test the regulator:
insert a t-fitting between filter and rail... connect a pressure gauge. attach the cable to the negative battery terminal (? i guess they're referring to a grounding cable for the gauge?). start the engine and note the pressure reading. next, detach teh vacuum hose from the fuel pressure regulator, the fuel pressure should rise considerably. if it doesn't rise, connect a vacuum gauge to the vacuum hose you just unplugged. if there isn't any vacuum, check for clogged hoses or vacuum port. if vacuum is present, replace the regulator. They go on to describe some more tests with a hand-held vacuum pump... i can write those down if you'd like, but right now, i have to go get ready to be raped at the pump...

13 cent a litre freaking increase over night.
motherf**king greedy bastards.
Thankfully elections are on, whoever suggests a proposal to fixing the situation (read: cap on gas price increase) gets my vote.
James L

-
'93 Legacy Turbo SS - 5spd conv, vf34, intercooled, K&N, dual stage mbc 11/16psi, hks 3" turbo-back w/hi-flow cat, kyb's, ADR 18" rims w/225/35/18zr's, 7" touch screen w/race camera
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Dude thanks alot, right now i dont have time, but tommorow ill see what i can do, Im assuming the fuel pump is okay seeing how their is fuel in the lines, ive got my stock regualtor lieing around, What im going to do is just replace it with stock and see what happens.

Thanks for the help, What is this pressure gauge u speak of?
FastRust
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Is it possible the FPR im using is TOO big and isnt building enough pressure? Is that possible?
FastRust
Bane
First Gear

Post by Bane »

it says a fuel pressure gauge, i assume like what you would put inside a gauge pillar.

as for is your FPR too big? funny you mention that.

had a friend with a ver2 sti swap in his 93 wagon.
For some reason the previous owner put in a monster regulator, and it caused all sorts of problems.

He ended up putting in a stock one (for that engine at least), and then put a Hydra in... so i can't say how much it made a difference before he went all out with the tuning... but i seem to remember he said it started behaving better before the tune.

hope that helps.
James L

-
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Bane, Your help is very appreciated and ill post my results tommorow.
FastRust
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Bane wrote:Image
round thing next to the wrx coolant resevoir. Between brake fluid and windshield washer.
you may be on to something.

rails and injectors shouldn't make too much of a difference (people swap them all the time), but a different regulator?

Good luck.
Bane, the line that goes to the fuel filter from the pump, is that the bottem line from the firewall or which one?
FastRust
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Also when i took off the feed line to the filter today there was massive amounts of pressure that sprayed out on the filter side, is that normal?
FastRust
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

So i got my lines right they were all wrong, i thought the filter feed the FPR but it feeds the rail first then goes through the FPR, Still i thought my car blew up today first it sounded like the fuel pump blew through the roof but i believe it was just the Exhasut. It only fired when i let go off the key meaning the injectors werent feeding anymore but there was still spark so the engine is obiously flooded, Badly i took out the spark plug and am going to spin the crank around (ive done this before it "un-floods" the engine)

What is another way to rid the fuel after flodding it? So waht happened, was the lines were all wrong but the there was fuel still being pumped and forced through the injectors so it just dumped fuel into the moter, so what is a good method of ridding the fuel?

Also my spark plugs were slightly covered in oil again, The spark plug was dry but there was oil on the yop of the spark plug does this mean i got a bad head gasket? i hope not, So im going to rig up half of my old exhasut to my car to keep it from back-firing (basicallu a cat with a striaght pipe and no muffler)

WISH ME LUCK!
FastRust
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Alright Got the fuel lines right, Is it possible i recked my pump from having the lines wrong? Because it sounds like little rocks moving around when it pumps.

Im getting ignition but it wont start, im getting black smoke out of the exhasut and i can really tell what it smells like i only have a DP on right now ( i know, i know)

Ill try to get a video tommorow
FastRust
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

looks like the cam gear senors are going to be a problem on stock ECU, where is it in eastern canada that i can ship my ECU to get tuned
FastRust
Bane
First Gear

Post by Bane »

sorry i'm just logging in now... good to hear you've gotten to the bottom of it.

pump shot? i'm not sure how the filter works... if it is one way... and you were hooked up wrong... it could be broken, as well as the pump. If it isn't one way, then it should be fine?

meant to ask you what are your plugs gapped at?

Looking at # 7 in the 2nd scenario... could be the cause. did you replace them or just clean the old ones?

pulling the fuel out?

never done it, but i guess unpressurize it, then pull the injectors and maybe stick a hose into the hole and siphon it out?

tuning stock ecu:

www.neetronics.com

You're probably going to want to hit the "contact us" button and explain your situation... i have no idea of cost or what's related, but Paul is the name of the gentleman that took care of Nico.

explain car model, engine build and he'll probably walk you through checking your version of the ecu, etc. don't know if he can help, but he's the only one that i know of that can tune the stock ecu.
James L

-
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Dude, Thanks for all the help sometimes all someone needs is a diffrent angle sometimes i lose hope (NASIOC) then i regain some when i log on here.

Heres an update, now you guys can see the car for what it truely is, RUSTY! but i still love it and the interior is basically new and tranny shifts like butter! Watch the videos for my car trying to start....
FastRust