Which motor oil for EJ22

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Rochus
In Neutral

Which motor oil for EJ22

Post by Rochus »

Hello! Can you give me an answer which motor oil is very good for the Legacy 2.2 (136 HP). The car is '91, and has 360.000 km (220.000 miles). Here in Slovenia we have pretty hot summers and sometimes cold but sometimes mild winters. The car is not driven hard (city and highway). Here are my suggestions: Shell Helix Plus 5W-40 and Fuchs Supersyn 5W - 40. Is this okay or should i get something better? I just want the best for the car, I change the oil and filters every 12.000 km (7.000 miles).

Subaru Symmetrical AWD
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

Amsoil or Royal Purple
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
Rochus
In Neutral

Post by Rochus »

I don't think I can get those marks here :? Which viscosity do you recommend? 5W-40, 10W-40, 5W-30?
Subaru Symmetrical AWD
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I always use synthetic 5W-30 (Mobil 1) with cold winters, hot summers, and hard driving with lots of traffic changed between every 12.000-16.000 km. Engine internals looked brand new after about 400.000 km. I think with the mild conditions you describe, any of those will do fine.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Owner's manual calls for 10w30 for most conditions. It recommends not using 5w30 for sustained high speed driving.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

I use 20-50 race oil during the summer and 10w-30 during the winter.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
altron23
In Neutral

Post by altron23 »

delo 400 15w 40 year round
-Garrett-
-subby tech-
eastside subaru

-90' legacy wagon L 2.2l 5mt swap, dumped on sti struts/springs
-88' RX-7 SE, waiting for some $ to be my track car!
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

We use Delo to break in the Spec Miata engines at work.

Just about any 10/30 weight would work. Try to stay away from low grade oils though, stick with the brand names like Mobil 1, pennzoil, quaker state, castrol etc...
1992 T-Leg = 195whp 197wtq SOLD :(
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

yeah it doesn't matter all that much. Hard driving, summer, track days etc, you'll want something a little thicker. I have valvolene 10-40 in the car because it was $10 for 5qts and a filter at pep-boys
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

When I change my oil I usually do 3 quarts of 10W-40 and then top it off with 10W-30. In the winter I'll do more of an even mix of the two.

As far as brands, I used to run the Valvoline high mileage stuff but now it only comes (or atleast all I can find) in a synthetic blend so I've switched over to Pennzoil high mileage as they still have it in the traditional dino form.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

10w30.
SUBARUEHS Racing
GeneralDisorder
First Gear

Post by GeneralDisorder »

10w-30. I use Chevron because their quality is high and the price is right at Costco.

I would never recommend a higher viscosity oil in the Subaru engines unless you were running baja in the Gobi desert. The clearances are extremely tight (less than .001") and higher viscosity oil will not flow well in tolerances that tight. Doesn't matter what the mileage is. I've torn down blocks with 200k miles on them and the tolerances were still VERY tight. Running things like 10w-40 or 20w-50 is likely to shorten the life of the bearings in a big way. Stick with the recommended lubricants and intervals for the life of the engine.

Tear down a block and mic. out the journals if you don't believe me. These aren't GM products boys.

GD
91 SS, 94 GT, 84 Wagon, 83 Hatch, 85 Brat.
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

See, I am torn on this issue. I see all the shops that race turbo Subaru engines recommend high oil grades. The higher heat from the turbo, which holds it very close to the heads thins out the oil, IIRC. Many of them run 20w50 on a motor that's racing.

Of course, you don't do the same thing to an engine daily driving in traffic. I stick with 10w40, but I am more than open to input if thicker oils have been shown to cause additional wear on the EJ22T.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

I use Fully Synthetic Mobil 1 10w-30.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
Buffman
Second Gear

Post by Buffman »

Legacy777 wrote:Owner's manual calls for 10w30 for most conditions. It recommends not using 5w30 for sustained high speed driving.
you sure the owners manual recommends that? A 5w30 and a 10w30 are both a 30 weight range oil. The 5w and 10w are just startup thickness and are of no concern to warmed up temps...

Remember you can have a thin and thick 30 weight oil. numbers are a representation of a range of viscosity. viscosity range for a 30 weight oil is 9.30-12.49 CST @100C. You'll find most mobil 1 5/10w30 oils are on the thinner side, while something like a 0w30 Castrol Syntec (German Made flavor) is thicker at 12.1 CST.

I'm in the process of doing an auto-rx treatment on my EJ22. Once that's complete I'm going to try a few flavors of oils and do some Used Oil analysis's on them to see what's going to perform the best.

For my gf's 2.2L OHV cavalier, on UOA i've found Mobil Clean 5000 10w30 works great. Low wear numbers, low if any fuel dilution, good amount of additives left in at the time of change. Typically take it to 6000-6500 miles no problem. Based on some of my UOAs comparing others with the same motor, my UOAs for that car were better than someone running Mobil 1 for LESS miles...

Not one Oil is perfect for all engines :)
1992 Legacy LS Special Wagon..
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Imprezive wrote:We use Delo to break in the Spec Miata engines at work.

Just about any 10/30 weight would work. Try to stay away from low grade oils though, stick with the brand names like Mobil 1, pennzoil, quaker state, castrol etc...
I was told by my auto tech instrutctor never to use penzoil because they just buy the cheapest oil they can find so it's never the same.

I run Amsoil full synthetic in my subaru.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Buffman
Second Gear

Post by Buffman »

kimokalihi wrote:
Imprezive wrote:We use Delo to break in the Spec Miata engines at work.

I was told by my auto tech instrutctor never to use penzoil because they just buy the cheapest oil they can find so it's never the same.

I run Amsoil full synthetic in my subaru.
that pennzoil thing is a hogwash full of shit. Some people fail to realize in order to have that API cert on the back, they have to meet certain specifications. You don't just throw an oil together and start selling it. So for it never to be the same is stupid. All of their motor oils have formulations. While the formulation may be changed, it usually isn't changed all that much.

Most hate from Pennzoil comes from back in the day with the Parafin Wax Myths.

Today any API SM rated OIL will be fine for use even in older cars as long as they don't have flat tappet cams.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Buffman wrote:you sure the owners manual recommends that? A 5w30 and a 10w30 are both a 30 weight range oil. The 5w and 10w are just startup thickness and are of no concern to warmed up temps...
I don't disagree with you, but yes it does say that

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... ns/097.jpg
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Buffman
Second Gear

Post by Buffman »

Josh interesting that they'd say that. More or less I'm surprised they didn't mention for high speeed driving a conventional oil is not recommended...
juice91si
First Gear

Post by juice91si »

hmmm. by the looks of that chart, my winter calls for 5w30.
Summer Fun = 1991 Civic Si Turbo
Winter Fun = 1991 Legacy Sport Sedan
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The other thing to keep in mind is that oil performance has come a ways since 1990. So today's 5w30 may be just fine at "sustained high speeds"
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

What even qualifies as sustained high speeds and where would one partake of this? I've sustained over 100 through Nebraska in the summer using Mobil 1 5/30 and, as I said, upon engine tear down later, the internals looked new. I really think the oil debate for a road car is made into a much bigger deal than it really is.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Buffman
Second Gear

Post by Buffman »

guess it depends on who you talk to. If you're just going to change your oil every 3000 miles and don't have some high performance engine, any current SM rated oil will do just fine. However, when looking for reduced wear numbers, longer change intervals, and better protection against thermal breakdown, then it pays to research what oils will work better in a given engine.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I think the real life difference between synthetics is negligible outside of a racetrack and no marketing department lit will convince me otherwise. Maybe Royal Purple or whatever's the best, but with how my engine looked with Mobil 1 changed every 7500-10,000 miles I don't see an advantage. And I don't necessarily think the results would've been much different with any other synthetic. Were I ever rich and stupid enough to buy something gay like a Bugatti Veyron to drive in heavy summer traffic, I might care about the differences then, but this isn't the first thread on this topic and how far it's gone is ridiculous (I recognize my contributing to it). We're talking about a pretty unstressed 2.2 engine, here. I only bother with the synthetic for the longer change intervals.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Buffman wrote: Today any API SM rated OIL will be fine for use even in older cars as long as they don't have flat tappet cams.
Care to explain this? Many-many OHC and DOHC engines still use a sliding metal, non-hydraulic valve opening mechanism. Including Subaru. They don't call it flat-tappet anymore (we call it shim-over-bucket), but functionally it's still the same.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack