Suspension Height Issue after installing GR2s

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

GLCraigGT
First Gear

Suspension Height Issue after installing GR2s

Post by GLCraigGT »

About 9 months and 10k+ miles ago, I installed GR2s in at all 4 corners of my 94 Legacy wagon. When the install was done I noticed that the front end sat higher than before. At the time I figured that it's just being new struts and everything would settle in after a while.

Well last weekend I took a measurement from the center-line of the wheel to the bottom edge of the wheel-well, at the front and rear wheels. I compared those measurements to another 94 legacy wagon and found that the measurement at the rear wheel is the same but my legacy sits over an higher at the front wheel.

Has anyone else ran into this?

I did double check that the part number on my front GR2s are correct, per the KYB catalog.
There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't.

2009 STI, It's staying stock, well at least the first 100K
84 GL Wagon With Factory Brushgaurd, The Lack of Power Wagon RallyX machine.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

It's very possible the KYB struts all the way around sit slightly higher then stock. Read this info I got from KYB.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... yb+fitment
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
impreza_GC8
First Gear

Post by impreza_GC8 »

Interesting. I have GR2's waiting to go on my Legacy and I'm interested to see if that happens to me as well. My Legacy is the newer body style though so I might not have that issue. You may want to try the Paranoid Fabrications saggy butt spacers, they will even out the drop.
-'97 Outback - EJ25 block/pistons/HLA heads, EJ22T crank/rods/ECU, EJ20G intake manifold/fuel rails/440cc injectors, VF8 @ 11psi. . . . Fuel cut > me
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

GLCraigGT, I've installed 3 sets of GR-2s on 3 of my Legacies and everytime the front end sits higher than when the original struts were on the cars. The first time it happened, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what was going on and how to fix it. I ordered several sets of struts from Subaru, several sets of GR-2s from Autozone, contacted KYB, and installed different brands of struts on my Legacy.

Bottom line is that the original height struts for our Legacies are no longer made. The original factory-installed struts have been superceded by struts with different specs--they all make the front end sit higher when installed. One old-timer parts guy at Autozone showed me the old parts catalogs and all of the many struts and the many different part #s for the bc's were superceded by the struts having the same part number.

What I've done to make the front end sit near the original height is to install lowering springs. You can get springs from Whiteline, H&R, etc. Some guys have installed coilovers. Just search for the threads that discuss these options.

With the factory springs and with the GR-2s installed on my '93 ss, I had a gap of 4 1/4 inches from the top of the front tire (205/55 16) to the arch of the fender. With the Whiteline control springs, the gap is now about 2 inches (or 13 3/4 inches from the center of the hub). On my '98 wagon with GR-2s and Whiteline flatout springs, the car sits about 1/2 inch lower than the control springs.

impreza_GC8, since your Legacy is an Outback, which is made to ride higher, you may or may not have the increased ride height issue. If your Legacy was the "L" or Brighton, you would have the same issues of the first generation Legacies because the front suspension is almost identical to the first generation Legacies--the front struts are the same (same part #).

Oh, BTW, the rear struts now being made are made near to the original factory specs as regards the ride height. It's just the front struts that are manufactured to make the car's front end sit noticeably higher.
'94 TW
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

There is always the option of Sti takeoffs. They lift the whole car evenly.
Kickin' it old-school.
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

Interesting... I have GR-2s on my car, but no lifted front end. Of course, the struts were made back in 2001, so this might have been before all the one-part-fits-all consolidation. I'll probably have to deal with it when these struts wear out. :roll:
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
GLCraigGT
First Gear

Post by GLCraigGT »

Thanks for the info everyone. At the moment I'm trying to buy a house so I have not had too much time to look into this. My next step is going to be finding some 98-01 Impreza RS front springs and go from there.
There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't.

2009 STI, It's staying stock, well at least the first 100K
84 GL Wagon With Factory Brushgaurd, The Lack of Power Wagon RallyX machine.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

The different spec struts must be gas or have different spring perch heights than the OEMs as they were shitty hydraulic units and otherwise wouldn't contribute to ride height.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The perch height is what is different.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

get some lowering springs. problem solved.
_Aramchek_
First Gear

Post by _Aramchek_ »

What exactly are the lowering springs to get,I'm getting some GR2's and want to keep it all level and nice.
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

-Jason Grahn
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

The GR2 and AGX struts have the spring perch at a higher level in the front. I found this out the hard way on my 98 Legacy wagon.

This time I went with the AGX and Grond Control coilover kit to have ride height adjustment to counter the problem. Worked great.
maciek puszynski

01 Impreza | v6 STi RA | 5mt | ej236t
93 Legacy Turbo | TW | 4eat | ej22t
16 WRX | 6mt | fa20
98 Legacy GT | wagon | 5mt | ej25d

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build