Reason why i hate ice and pennsylvania winter trucks.

Show us your Legacy pictures and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

SubaruDriftBoy
In Neutral

Reason why i hate ice and pennsylvania winter trucks.

Post by SubaruDriftBoy »

Hello everyone, i know ive not been a big influence here on the site since i pretty much sold my BC legacy to get something bigger but i thought since i just had a death in my subaru family, someone may be interested to see what really saved my life and hear my story.

Sunday morning i woke up to see snow on the ground so i figured since i had a 97 2.5GT wagon 5 speed id have no problem in a little dusting of snow. i was on my way to work at 7:30 in the morning, working an hour away i gave myself plenty of time not to speed. at about 8:00 in the morning i was about halfway to work and just about to be on the safest road possible, i was coming down the downside of Junction 901 (gordon nagle trail) into cressona when my ordeal happened. i hit black ice under the snow and my car went completely sideways, i tried counter steering, throttle, brake, even ebrake to spin it around so i wouldnt have a front impact. but nothing i tried did anything for me. i remember hitting the bank and then when i woke up i was hanging upside down from my seatbelt and feeling like i was just hit by a train. i turned off my car and pretty much paniced to get out but thankfully 2 good samaritans came and opened my driver door somehow. as i laid there a nurse from lehigh Valley hospital came and made me sit in her truck with her hands around my neck and her chest on the back of my neck aswell, just so i didnt move my neck around too much :wink: but i was taken to the hospital and given a "clean" bill of health and off i went with muscle relaxers for my broken nose, rib and 2 fingers. coulda been a lot worse for me aswell.. here are the pics.
merry christmas everyone... :(
Subaru- Because friends don't let friends drive inlines
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

That's terrible. Glad you're alright. I'm curious though, what did that have to do with winter trucks?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
SubaruDriftBoy
In Neutral

Post by SubaruDriftBoy »

kimokalihi wrote:That's terrible. Glad you're alright. I'm curious though, what did that have to do with winter trucks?
Because 2 minutes after being outside of my car, a plow truck drove past that was sitting at a dunkin donuts eating donuts and drinking coffee and having cigarettes as he watched cars go on the covered un plowed road.. thats why =D
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Getting paid good money the whole time, too, no doubt. Car looks pretty good for flipping over. Good thing you're OK. Too bad about that beautiful GT.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Sucks man,but the main thing is you are alright. Do you think some decent snow tires could have prevented this?
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I doubt it. He said black ice was the cause. I put studded snow tires on my metro and it still slides all over the road like it's on regular tires. I was very dissappointed in the difference those damn tires made.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

kimokalihi wrote:I doubt it. He said black ice was the cause. I put studded snow tires on my metro and it still slides all over the road like it's on regular tires. I was very dissappointed in the difference those damn tires made.
Umm, it always do better with the correct tires for the situation. That doesn't mean it will always stop or avoid the accident, but you might go in just not as fast... :lol:
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
drewriviera
First Gear

Post by drewriviera »

Damn horrible accident, I absolutely hate to see a nice car messed up too! Why can't we all be driving Pintos when this happens? :lol: You said something about the guy watching people crash? I remember one time here in NC I was driving a perfectly good Jeep (in 4 wheel drive and good tires) and slid right off the road into a huge ditch, while a dickhead predatory tow truck driver sat and watched. He sat around the corner where you couldn't see him until you were in the hole already. Then, he waited until about 5 cars got stuck back to back in the ditch, then came over and basically raped us....he charged us $50 a piece to pull our cars out, with each person in front or behind you already late for work and pissed if you didn't want to shell out the dough to get your car out. See, each person blocked each other in. Anyway, after about 10 minutes work (that the asshole got paid $250 for) he got back in his truck and backed up around the corner to watch and wait for the next round of people to fall in the ditch. Wonders never cease huh?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I would be glad to pay $50 to get my car out of a ditch promptly. I thought you had to pay more like $300 for someone to come out and do it? I dunno I've never had to get pulled out. Always got myself out or called somebody else.

He's got to make money just like the rest of us though. I guess it would be nice if he put up a sign or something warning people ahead of time that it's bad up ahead.
SubaruDriftBoy
In Neutral

Post by SubaruDriftBoy »

well i got my new car tonight and my fine from the police department... $120 for crossing lanes in an dual yellow line or some crap like that.. how rediculous is that! and if anyone was curious i picked up a 2000 legacy gt limited sedan titanium metalic outside ( looks more gold to me) and black leather inside, only thing im not happy with is it is a 4EAT but hey, its a way to work.
Snowolf2
First Gear

Post by Snowolf2 »

The police fined you for hitting black ice and the car sliding over the line?!?!
2001 Impreza RS, 5spd
1993 Legacy L 5spd wagon - sold
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I love cops.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I ultimately think we'd be better off as an anarchy.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

dang sounds like you got lucky. good little subaru saved you. i did the same thing in my Jeep except i lind of deserved it. i was on a dirt trail that i used for work and one after noon 4 hours before my sisters wedding i decided iwas going to try and drift my jeep around a blind curve. of course everytime i drove this rode i never saw anyone but when i went for it another Jeep came flying around so i slung it to the right and then noticed i was heading for the ditch so i thought i turned it to the left and throttled it but i ended up hitting the ditch did a 180 then then rolled onceand landed on the roof, when i came to i was upside down and couldnt get out cause the seat belt was locked. so i had to crawl out. the only injury i had was that some how i managed to land in a giant ant farm or something cause i was covered in ants. i was very lucky i would have to say cause i could have hit that Jeep or done worse to my self for being a dumb ass.

did your air bags go off. it sucks when you realize you had an accident and your bags didnt go off. of course they are for front chrashes but still.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
SubaruDriftBoy
In Neutral

Post by SubaruDriftBoy »

yes, i was fined for crossing the yellow line illegally.. like i had a fricken choice.. and yeah my airbags did NOT deploy, even though i hit the embankment head on before blacking out and rolling over.. god i love PA...
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

You could probably fight that. And waste a day or two in court (in MA, it wastes 2 days—1st day for a hearing where they'll likely cut the ticket in half and discourage you from pursuing it further and the 2nd day to go to court for it), costing more than the ticket. I'll take an honest criminal over the ones that call themselves "cops" any day.