Safe To Remove Underhood Lining?

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

Safe To Remove Underhood Lining?

Post by Subaru_Nation555 »

I am planning to detail my engine bay in the spring and wanted to know if it was safe to remove the lining on the underside of the hood? Mine is pretty shabby looking. I assume the lining is to suppress heat/noise?
'06 Impreza 2.5i wagon
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

I have had mine off for about a year and a half with zero issue's.
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I believe it's to help squelch an underhood fire or at least delay its spread, so I guess the danger in removing it would be as minimal as you think the risk of needing an extra few moments to get out of a burning car is.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
SubiePrice88
Third Gear

Post by SubiePrice88 »

Yea its mostly there for noise/heat. I dont have one on my car and its fine.
-Jordan

"Nothing Stings Like a Subee"

1992 Legacy SS, 5MT, 140k, some mods ;)
1993 Legacy Wagon, 5MT, 220k!
Buffman
Second Gear

Post by Buffman »

I haven't had one on my RMS for about 2yrs. Thing was getting nasty. I dont know how well it will stop a fire, considering when my dad put the thing near the fire to burn it, it went poof almost as fast as a kleenex.
1992 Legacy LS Special Wagon..
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Maybe years of hydrocarbons. Maybe I have its use wrong.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

I got rid of mine this summer before WCSS10...haven't missed it yet...
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

It purpose was to help keep the paint finish on the hood from prematurely ageing and changeing color from the heat. Ie a yellowey white hood, on a white car.
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

It's mostly sound damping, and really doesn't do much for heat.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Buffman
Second Gear

Post by Buffman »

my wife's white cavalier is as white as it was. It came with no hood insulation.
1992 Legacy LS Special Wagon..
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Post by Legacy Rally Guy »

Buffman wrote:my wife's white cavalier is as white as it was. It came with no hood insulation.
But, do you live in Yuma, Arizona..? hehe, if one were to have this removed AND live in a state where it's common to see 100F'+ temps.. maybe that heat AND engine heat are apt to make it peel/fade? I know many a Chrysler product needed nothing but regualr sunlight to shed it's clearcoat like a snake skin on body parts not affected by engine heat.
1991 Legacy N/A- Being built to withstand zombie apocalypse!
2004 WRX STi- (GT3076r, 850cc Deatchwerks, Unequal Length Headers, FMIC, Alum Driveshaft, Camber Kit, Daily Driver)
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

I have mine on and above the coolant expansion tank(I think that's what it is at least, haven't found my way around this engine quite like my e30 yet) the clearcoat bubbled up and chipped off from the heat, I had to reclear it
Baulde
First Gear

Post by Baulde »

I say sound insulation. I have seen the matting installed from factory(on an LS). Also not installed in the cheaper models (on an L) which was missing various parts of insulation that was there to suppress sound. I have owned both. Both were NA wagons. And my 91 turbo has this insulation as well. But for 91 the turbos had all the options for the legacy's other then the height adjustable suspension.