too much oil

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

too much oil

Post by SILINC3R »

so i went to go snowboarding yesterday and the trip was about a 3 hour drive so beofre i got going i went to fell up and buy dome oil. my car was still making the clicking noises like it does when it is low on oil so i baught 2 quarts of oil, filled up both and was off. as soon as i left the gas station i could tell something was wrong. i couldnt get past 3000 rpms not in 1st, 2nd, or any other gear.i didnt know what going on.when i would try to push it over 3000 it would start bogging down and bouncing around so i just kept it under 3000. found a neighborhood to pull into and thats when all hell broke loss. if you have done seafoam or seen pictures ( i am still trying to upload mine) you know how much smoke it produces. well this was like 3 times worse. i sat there and reved the engine a couple times and more a nd more smoke was coming out. it was night time so i couldnt see what color it was but im sure it was the oil. i popped the hood and tried to see what was going on. there was just smoke coming from every where it seemed. well i decided i would press on for a couple more miles and see what would happen, so i got back on the road and i still couldnt get over 3000. now a car was behind me so i tried to get going and then the car was gone. it got totally smoke out so i had to pull over once again and try and rev what ever it was doing out.i ended up getting to the highway and it had settled down after a while. no smoke and i was crusing at around 70 with no problems. i made it to the ski resort and popped the hood again since it was day light now. then i saw the wierdest thing. oil had leaked out of my intake. so upon this observation i came to the conclusion that i had indeed filled the car up with to much oil and the reason for the smoke was that some how it was getting dumped straight into the intake where it was getting burnedd off.
so how did the oil get burned like that and why did it leak out of my intake?
what harm could i have done and what should i do now. if i hurt this car from something as stupid as this i will be upset cause it has been through a lot more.

-thanks,
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
tturnpaw
First Gear

Post by tturnpaw »

That's possible. Never fill the oil without checking it. You're lucky in any case it didn't build too much cankcase pressure and throw a rod out the block. Best thing to do is change the oil completely and put in what it takes (not sure if turbo or na is the same. Turbo is 4.8 qts) then run it for a while. You could have anything from a bad rocker to a blown head gasket.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

yea i realize also that i had put in a quart of lucas oil stablizers and another quart about a week or a so ago so i am very lucky considering that i continued you drive it. it made the 300 plus miles alright though after the first problems.
i drained some of the oil today about 2 quarts and check the plugs and cleaned them as well as cleanout the intake and throttle body of oil so all should be well.

god i love my little subaru
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
tturnpaw
First Gear

Post by tturnpaw »

Don't forget to come back so we can diagnose the other problems. Ironically, I suggest you sea foam through an intake manifold vacuum line. It will break down the oil so it can be run though instead of crystallizing. Brake cleaner works too the downside is replacing your plugs afterwords due to the residue.
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

oil may have been sucked in by the crankcase breather or something.

Check your oil first man!
1992 T-Leg = 195whp 197wtq SOLD :(
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
Buffman
Second Gear

Post by Buffman »

lucas oil stabilizer pure garbage. it does nothing but thicken oil past what you need. get it out of there.
1992 Legacy LS Special Wagon..
codfizzle
First Gear

Does anyone know what a dipstick is?

Post by codfizzle »

I just gotta say it amazes me how many people have problems like this. Does anybody know what a dipstick is for? Why would somebody just add a bunch of oil and drive off without checking it first to make sure it's not overfilled? I don't mean to sound rude or cynical, but if you can't even take a look at your dipstick, you probably shouldn't be driving a vehicle.

Once again, I'm sorry if I sound rude, but there have been quite a few people on here lately with questions like "How do I know how much oil to put in my car?". To me, this is like asking "How do I put my car from neutral into first gear?". It's an extremely basic part of vehicle maintainence that every driver should know how to do. Basically what I'm saying is: CHECK YOUR DIPSTICK; IT'S THERE FOR A REASON! Don't add oil unless you check the level first and it needs oil. And especially don't add oil and then just drive off without checking it first. Just my 2 or 3 cents.
92 LEGACY EJ22 WAGON
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

lol thanks i fell better now. yea this little accident could have cost me my car but i guess it likes me too much. you would think i would have just check but it was clicking like it does when it gets low on oil, but sometimes i guess you just have to learn the most basic lessons in life. like not being retarted
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
Skruyd
Second Gear

Re: Does anyone know what a dipstick is?

Post by Skruyd »

codfizzle wrote:I just gotta say it amazes me how many people have problems like this. Does anybody know what a dipstick is for? Why would somebody just add a bunch of oil and drive off without checking it first to make sure it's not overfilled? I don't mean to sound rude or cynical, but if you can't even take a look at your dipstick, you probably shouldn't be driving a vehicle.

Once again, I'm sorry if I sound rude, but there have been quite a few people on here lately with questions like "How do I know how much oil to put in my car?". To me, this is like asking "How do I put my car from neutral into first gear?". It's an extremely basic part of vehicle maintainence that every driver should know how to do. Basically what I'm saying is: CHECK YOUR DIPSTICK; IT'S THERE FOR A REASON! Don't add oil unless you check the level first and it needs oil. And especially don't add oil and then just drive off without checking it first. Just my 2 or 3 cents.

Just be happy our cars comes with an oil dip stick. Some cars don't * hack, hack, BMW, sneeze*. So the unfortunate happens. Either wait till the oil light comes on, go and get an oil change, or go to the dealership and ask them to check your oil.
91 Subaru Legacy SS (Driving) 3"TBE, Vrg FCD, 440cc, HKS Safc, Vf10, ebay FMIC, Jecs
92 Toyota Corolla (fixing then selling)
06 ZZR600
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

my oil light has never come on so i dont know if it works
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

SILINC3R wrote:my oil light has never come on so i dont know if it works
Turn the key to 'on' but don't start the car. The light should be on untill you crank it over.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
Buffman
Second Gear

Post by Buffman »

yeah but that's a low oil pressure light. You wait for that sucker to come on you'll have other problems...
codfizzle
First Gear

Post by codfizzle »

Buffman wrote:yeah but that's a low oil pressure light. You wait for that sucker to come on you'll have other problems...
Yeah that light won't come on until you're down to about 2 quarts of oil, by which time a good many other problems have probably arisen. And once again, i reiterate my original point: if you need to bring your car to the dealer to find out how much oil you have in it because you can't just take a look at the dipstick yourself, then you shouldn't be driving (or you drive a BMW). ;-)
92 LEGACY EJ22 WAGON
Buffman
Second Gear

Post by Buffman »

well I'll admit checking the oil o these cars isn't easy. It seems the oil likes to sit in the top half of the block for longer than usual. I wonder perhaps if that's why these don't have oil level sending units for low oil level in the pan? (my 91 ranger had one and most cars do)

I know my car doesn't leak much if any oil. It burns oil but only if you're doing 6000+ rpm and even then it's very light. Yet it seems like the dipstick tells me I never have any oil in the pan....
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

are you guys kidding?? these cars can totally run on one quart of 3 year old oil for months at a time and be fine.Dont ask how i know.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

How little oil do you need? My 1983 sedan (EA81) had a bad rear main leak that was really annoying. I went out camping with it, already low, for the weekend driving 250 miles to VT. Couldn't find anything but 2-cycle oil anywhere up there. Drove with the speedometer needle on the P in MPH (somewhere around 110 going by gearing) much of the way back while dicing with an asshole in a Grand Cherokee (wow are those things shit!). Don't think I went under 80 at all. Got home, threw in a quart. Nothing on dipstick. Another quart. Nothing. Another. There we go! And another half brought me up to the line. I had less than a quart in there. Drove the car another year without issue until half a tree fell on it while I was driving down the street. Radiator cracked, fan dead, hood caved in, I still drove it for a few months until I found another car (Legacy). Would've driven to the junk yard, but I yanked the steering wheel, so it was towed.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
codfizzle
First Gear

Post by codfizzle »

gijonas wrote:are you guys kidding?? these cars can totally run on one quart of 3 year old oil for months at a time and be fine.Dont ask how i know.
Just because our cars have the ABILITY to do this doesn't mean it's GOOD for the car. I tend to prefer NOT neglecting the shit out of my vehicles, they tend to last a tad longer and work a tad harder. And if you're driving around with 1 quart of 3 month old oil in your engine for months at a time, you obviously neglect the shit out of your car. I know what these cars are capable of, but that doesn't mean that it's good to push them like that all the time. ;-)
92 LEGACY EJ22 WAGON