aghhhh!!! I think my tranny just died! help!

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Nate S
First Gear

aghhhh!!! I think my tranny just died! help!

Post by Nate S »

ok,
so car drives fine last night and this morning. Then I go to lunch and put it in reverse and get nothing, engine revs but I go no where, the whole time making this really horrible grinding noise. when I finally get it to move it sounds horrible. does the same thing in 1st and 2nd but once moving and in higher gears its ok for the most part minus a small whine. SO do I get the joy of replacing my tranny now?

thanks,
Nate
S-Squared Motorsports
Looking for aftermarket parts? Email me
nate@ss-ms.com - www.ss-ms.com
shop # 916 631 7440
92 turbo wagon / 02 wrx sedan
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Unfortunately......but yeah it sounds like it......if you didn't hear grinding I would've said it might be ok.....but if you hear grinding......it's probably toast.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Nate S
First Gear

Post by Nate S »

well that is just peachy. what a week, get layed off work then this arg!!
ok, so here is a question,
if I am gonna replace the tranny I am just gonna swap to a 5 speed cause I dis like auto's anyway . will a forester tranny work? ( I would assume its the same as any other 2.5 tranny ) and I do realise I will need a corrisponding rear diff, but do we know what ratio the forester is?
thanks
Nate
S-Squared Motorsports
shop # 916 631 7440
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Nate, my tranny died and I swapped one in from an impreza. If you got 1200 or so you could get a low mileage auto installed...

Where are you located?
Nate S
First Gear

Post by Nate S »

I am in sacramento,
1200 for another auto? eek!
I think I will stick with the 5 speed cause I dont see how it could cost more than that. it wont be the first tranny changeover I have done. what a pain. I ask cause I found a forester tranny in truckee for 200.00 thats good. I think the guy is parting out the car so I figured I may be able to get everything I need to do the swap from him for 6-800 . so , do we know if the forester and impreza tranny is the same?

thanks
Nate

ps-
anyone know of any tech jobs out there? hehe
S-Squared Motorsports
shop # 916 631 7440
whitemr2
In Neutral

Post by whitemr2 »

Nate,

Check out this place for parts: http://www.4subarusuzukikiaparts.com/

I talked to them when my tranny went out, and they seemed very familiar with the 5MT swap and know what's needed. You're in luck, they're located pretty close to you, I think.

You might want to try putting it in '3' and pressing the manual button before getting going. I'm not sure if the car will agree to starting in third gear, but if it does, it might make it more driveable until you can get it fixed. This trick definitely works in 1 or 2 (though I realize you don't want to be using those gears based on what you described) - the car will start in the gear you've selected (IF the manual button is engaged).
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

whitemr2 wrote: You might want to try putting it in '3' and pressing the manual button before getting going. I'm not sure if the car will agree to starting in third gear, but if it does, it might make it more driveable until you can get it fixed. This trick definitely works in 1 or 2 (though I realize you don't want to be using those gears based on what you described) - the car will start in the gear you've selected (IF the manual button is engaged).
The car will only start in 2nd gear with the manual button depressed. It is a very primitive form of traction control that keeps the tranny from going into 1st gear, which limits the amount of torque going to the wheels which reduces wheel spin. This button only does this when the gear selector is in 3 or 2.

It is also said that is adjusts or "tweaks" the AWD maps to be more agressive.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

It wont shift into third unless the rpm is above 2200 after the shift would take place (maybe 20mph?).