3rd Legacy. 1st First Gen. '91 LSi sedan

Show us your Legacy pictures and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

L-Tuned BD
First Gear

3rd Legacy. 1st First Gen. '91 LSi sedan

Post by L-Tuned BD »

I purchased this very rare 1st gen on September 15th, 2009. AWD, ABS, AT, black leather. 216K miles and no rust. I've owned two 1995 Legacy's for a long time and decided this would make a great winter car! It needs the valve cover gaskets done (badly), the power steering pump resealed, brake fluid flush, a complete tune up and couple other minor tlc item's.

I've been told that the LSi model is even more rare than an SS or TW (not necessarily more desirable :wink: )

My '95 Legacy L sedan (BD) that I've owned for the last four years is sitting behind it. My only plans for modification include some '91 Turbo sedan sway bars lying around - if in fact they are an upgrade? Maybe someone can chime in on that. I'd also like to get some SimplySubie fender braces. I'd obviously love to get some RS 5 spokes but for right now I'm trying to keep this thing cheap.

Here are some pre detail pics. This is after a wash. It cleans up really well in my opinion.

Last edited by L-Tuned BD on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
'95 Legacy BK - L - Original Owner - Heritage Rebuild
'93 Legacy BC - SS Sold
'91 Legacy BC - LSi sold
'95 Legacy BD - L Sold
'09 Legacy 3.0R - Sold
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

Holy crap that thing is in good shape! I have never seen a non SS in that color in MY91.
Still riding on the factory air struts too?
Through The Generations...
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
Hyena
In Neutral

Post by Hyena »

Aww man, I'm jealous XD That is a awesome LSi curious as to where you found it, I was scanning the local craigslists and such. I think I saw you driving through West Linn a few days ago, I only caught the sight of the back end was just like "ohh nice! a red first gen legacy" were you down on highway 43 ? I was coming out of the West Linn Library.
93' Legacy L AWD Wagon- Teal Metallic - Auto
subaru_styles
Third Gear

Post by subaru_styles »

interior shots please
1994 SS "JDM-OEM"

1997 2.5gt wagon, ricebowl, 207 swapped

1999 lifted 2.5gt wagon,"tokyo weekender"

1994 gt wagon, next build

1994 turbo wagon
L-Tuned BD
First Gear

Post by L-Tuned BD »

Hyena wrote:Aww man, I'm jealous XD That is a awesome LSi curious as to where you found it, I was scanning the local craigslists and such. I think I saw you driving through West Linn a few days ago, I only caught the sight of the back end was just like "ohh nice! a red first gen legacy" were you down on highway 43 ? I was coming out of the West Linn Library.
Ya that was me! I was probably bringing it home for the first time. I live close off HWY 43 and work right by the library. Sweet that it has already been spotted!
I found it on craigslist. I didn't get the best vibe off the guy but my friend with superior mechanical knowledge came and said the car was a steal for $800. I'm pleased. Next time you see me honk!

Subaru Styles - pics to come once I clean the interior.
'93 Legacy BC - SS Sold
'91 Legacy BC - LSi sold
'95 Legacy BD - L Sold
'09 Legacy 3.0R - Sold
N1446
Second Gear

Post by N1446 »

love this car !
a great deal for its condition !
CongraTs ! :smt004
N1446 Brutus
91 Legacy SS 5mt 2.5GT Swap
Legacy GT Suspension, 16" Fozzy Wheels, 2.5RS OBX EL Headers, Gutted Mid-Pipe, Subaru Catback c/w AWD BABY !
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

drool! to both of them
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
Hyena
In Neutral

Post by Hyena »

L-Tuned BD wrote:Ya that was me! I was probably bringing it home for the first time. I live close off HWY 43 and work right by the library. Sweet that it has already been spotted!
I found it on craigslist. I didn't get the best vibe off the guy but my friend with superior mechanical knowledge came and said the car was a steal for $800. I'm pleased. Next time you see me honk!

Subaru Styles - pics to come once I clean the interior.
Haha, awesome! if I had honestly not let this gold Ford Aerostar go in front of me, you most likely would have ended up driving behind me or would have seen my nose sticking out onto 43 coming from the library XD I live up on top of the hill past the high school. (right behind the Safeway) I'll keep an eye out for you, man
93' Legacy L AWD Wagon- Teal Metallic - Auto
L-Tuned BD
First Gear

Post by L-Tuned BD »

I have lots to update!

So I finally got around to detailing most of the EXTERIOR. I started with a good bathing (Meguiar's Gold Class) I washed all the inner door sills and everything.

Next I clay bard the entire vehicle panel by panel. I used the Meguiar's clay kit

Proceeding this I used Meguiars paint cleaner (panel by panel). This is the first step in their three step "deep crystal clean" system

Next up came Meguiar's polish

Finally rounding it out I used Meguiars carnuaba wax. On the front end I've gone over it again and used Meguiar's NXT 2.0 - Gotta love those synthetic polymers

Proceeding the paint work I did all the rubber and trim treatment using Mothers Back to Black.
I got some Eagle One automotive window cleaner and then Rain-X'd all the windows.
I also treated the headlights to some Mother's mag & aluminum polish - What a difference! This stuff is awesome and really takes the yellow hazing out of the lights in no time.

Replaced lots of bulbs of course

New wiper blades (and winter fluid :)

Got some RalliTEK plate frames.

Mounted my ADVAN Touring Competions - 16"x7 et48 on Pirelli Pzero Nero 205/55/16. Wow, what a difference a set of lightweight wheels and sticky tires makes. Its unreal. I haven't had a chance to push it and see if they rub. I drive this car pretty gingerly in complete honesty.

Overall I'm pretty happy with how the exterior turned out.

-INTERIOR-

I purchased a cord from Radio Shack that allows me to use the auxiliary audio output on the stock head unit right to my iPod. I can't believe how nice the stereo sounds in this thing. I haven't looked to see if the speakers have been replaced.
I got all the door lights working and found a new cover for the dome light.

So far I've used Lexol cleaner + the conditioner on the rear seats and front passenger seat. It made some difference but not huge. I've also been removing the worst stains in the carpet with some Turtle product I had laying around. It works surprisingly well. I've done a deep vacuuming to the thing a couple times, and of course a premium air freshener from Auto Zone (lol)

- MAINTENANCE-

I started off with an oil change, a new OEM oil filter and crush ring gasket.
My friend & ASE certified mechanic who also owns a '91 SS & a '98 LGT Limited helped me diagnose why all my dash warning lights were on.
At some point, the alternator was replaced and the thing was spewing out 17-18 amps on everything - yikes. This was quickly remedied by replacing it with an alternator out of a '91 SS parts car He has laying around.

Next was addressing the check engine light. We counted the cycles (got to love OBD1) and so it was a 35 code. The solenoid. Luck would have it that He had one that works out of a EJ18 - another near free fix!

Proceeding all this it was definitely due for a tune up. New wires, spark plugs, PCV valve, air filter and fuel filter were installed. Cleaned out the intake manifold and carefully cleaned up the area around the MAF. It runs a lot smoother now. Unfortunately, it has a slight misfire at idle. I'm going to have a compression test done soon. It has an exhaust leak and I also think the heat shield needs to be crimped. I hope this helps with the minor misfire. Besides this it really needs to have the power steering pump resealed and the valve cover gaskets done ASAP. This will be done within the next week but I've been keeping a sharp eye on the oil level. I've already put about 1000 miles on this thing.

On Wednesday I am picking up studded snow tires in 195/60/15's for the wheels pictured above! Its all coming together really nicely. Its been a lot of work so far and it only has a little to go before this thing will be an absolutely exceptional car. Maybe in a year or two I'd like to get a early JDM MOMO or Nardi steering wheel. Also on the list is some Whiteline steering rack bushings and some bigger sway bars maybe off a second generation Outback. I also want the simplysubie fender braces but we will see. I will not lower this car though as I need the clearance for the mountain and daily driving.
Last edited by L-Tuned BD on Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
'93 Legacy BC - SS Sold
'91 Legacy BC - LSi sold
'95 Legacy BD - L Sold
'09 Legacy 3.0R - Sold
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Great to hear the car is coming along nicely!

Only seals I have found to leak on these power steering pumps was the one between the resovoir and the pump. Can be replaced without removing the pump just siphen the fluid out of the resovoir and undo the 2 bolts above. If the hose it attaches to is hard get a new one at the dealer its cheap and then you can just cut the original. Put a bag below for the excess fluid to sit in.

Valve covers, be prepared with either some new vent hoses from the dealer or just get some crankcase oil breather hose. You COULD use heaterhose which I did as they didn't have the right size vent hose locally and it appears to work fine with a clamp.

Keep us updated on progress on the car ;)
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
L-Tuned BD
First Gear

Post by L-Tuned BD »

Very unfortunate news. Yesterday the motor seized or bit the dust. The misfire at idle got worse in the past few days. I knew it was coming from the 3rd cylinder. I was thinking it was a leaky fuel injector. Unfortunately the exhaust valves are toast and the car wont turn over. A compression check showed 180 on all cylinders except the 3rd which was at 30.

Anybody in the Portland area want a really clean shell? $300 I may even include a tow. Leather, non functioning moonroof, floor mats, original owners manual, decent automatic tranny. Great paint in my opinion for the year. NO RUST!

My friend has a 22T that I may purchase and throw in. How hard is the swap? Would it work with my AT tranny, or should I say are the internals of an auto SS and LSi the same? He's also got an SS AT 3.90 LSD rear differential. Any advice would be appreciated.
'93 Legacy BC - SS Sold
'91 Legacy BC - LSi sold
'95 Legacy BD - L Sold
'09 Legacy 3.0R - Sold
cartwheels
Second Gear

Post by cartwheels »

The auto in the turbo is different... but the EJ22T will bolt right up to your auto and should work fine with it (if I'm wrong, someone correct me). As I understand it, you should be fine throwing in a turbo motor. I'd take the time to throw a manual tranny in there as well if you can afford the time and money. That's a beautiful car so it deserves to be fixed up!
1994 Legacy TW
1993 Geo Tracker
1991 Legacy SS (finally got one!)
subaru_styles
Third Gear

Post by subaru_styles »

PM sent
1994 SS "JDM-OEM"

1997 2.5gt wagon, ricebowl, 207 swapped

1999 lifted 2.5gt wagon,"tokyo weekender"

1994 gt wagon, next build

1994 turbo wagon
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

L-Tuned BD I have the same exact car as you except mine had grey leather and no mud flaps.

There are a couple pictures here http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=42516

Yours is the only other 91 LSi I have EVER seen :)
REAL
In Neutral

Post by REAL »

in Aus this car is called a liberty/legacy - heritage.. just thought i would let u know :D

Looks very sweet mate, nice and clean ,

p.s i like the wheels on your leg behind it
My Ride!
http://www.rslibertyclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82676
L-Tuned BD
First Gear

Post by L-Tuned BD »

ciper wrote:L-Tuned BD I have the same exact car as you except mine had grey leather and no mud flaps.

There are a couple pictures here http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=42516

Yours is the only other 91 LSi I have EVER seen :)
Thanks for the kind words Guys. I actually sold this thing a few months ago as the 3rd cylinder has holding not quite 30psi and I busted the flex plate between the motor and tranny. Now I'm selling my other Legacy too!
'93 Legacy BC - SS Sold
'91 Legacy BC - LSi sold
'95 Legacy BD - L Sold
'09 Legacy 3.0R - Sold
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

What about that Citroen in the first pictures? Neighbor's?
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
L-Tuned BD
First Gear

Post by L-Tuned BD »

evolutionmovement wrote:What about that Citroen in the first pictures? Neighbor's?
My Dad's.
He just sold that one it was an '87 CX turbo 5 speed prestige
Now He has two XM's a '91 & a '92 5 speed 24v V6. He's also had a DS & a beautiful series 1 CX. Those cars aren't my thing. Very problematic.
'93 Legacy BC - SS Sold
'91 Legacy BC - LSi sold
'95 Legacy BD - L Sold
'09 Legacy 3.0R - Sold