Need info for upcoming Project

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Suigintou
In Neutral

Need info for upcoming Project

Post by Suigintou »

The project: Convert my 1994 Legacy L from FWD automatic to *update* FWD manual.

Reasons:
- My Front Differential has a bad bearing, or bearings. Its performance is erratic and the noise it makes is intolerable.
- I love my Subaru, the boxer growl, the way it handles. I don't want to give it up and there is absolutely no other Subarus in my area.

*Since I'm no longer going to try for AWD, I'm redoing this first post to reflect that. I still need help fixing my trans though. :shock:
Last edited by Suigintou on Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

where are you located, I have a lot of the stuff you would need.
92' SS: SOLD
98' 2.5GT SOLD, bought back, new stupid build in the works.
98' 2.5 GT-rx :bought not built
Suigintou
In Neutral

Post by Suigintou »

I live in NPR, Florida.
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

SUBARUEHS Racing
Suigintou
In Neutral

Post by Suigintou »

Argh, so very few subies here in FL (part of the reason Im stickin with what I got LOL).

Anyway, I found a '99 Legacy outback and would like to know if anyone here knows if the parts on it will fit up (or fit up with minor modifications). Thanks for that link btw, it's really been helpful. I just wanted some added clarification over "The majority of the parts should be the same if not very similar for the Imprezas, and second generation (1995-1999) Legacies.".
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I know the second gen driveshaft that was in my sister's car was different than my first gen. The hanger bearging didn't line up.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
skatedees
First Gear

Re: Need info for upcoming Project

Post by skatedees »

Suigintou wrote:
- How much more fun is it to drive a manual awd over a fwd automatic? :D
Much more. Much, much, much more.......
1991 BJ EJ22
Suigintou
In Neutral

SWEET

Post by Suigintou »

Finally a car that may work turned up. It's a 1993 Impreza

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/pts/1475906578.html

According to http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=18370 it sounds like everything off this car will bolt up ok onto my car, minus the driveshaft of course.

I can get all the parts (rear diff, rear cross member, axels, hubs, shocks, gas tank, trans, clutch pedal, shifter, linkage, ect) for 300$. The lady on the phone couldn't tell me the condition of this stuff though. I will drive down their Friday and find out.

Anything I should look out for as far as parts that don't/won't fit? I don't have a welder so my ability to make things fit is limited to drilling and cutting.
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

I think the driveshaft will work out of the Impreza. I used the front section from a 5spd Impreza along with the rear section from a 93 auto ss to replace the more or less one piece in my 5spd 91 ss. I would grab it and at least see.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
Suigintou
In Neutral

Post by Suigintou »

Argh...

Ok, So I finally get 800$ together and I'm ready to do this. They even got a 91 Subaru Legacy in...just one prob.

It's at a U-Pull-It.

I'm not looking forward to disassembling that car monday morning. There's no place for power tools, it will just be me and a friend with a breaker bar, a metric socket and wrench set and a couple cans of PB buster. Oh and his ATV jack to let the transmission down. I got to hurry too; cars don't last more then a month there.

So does anyone have tips? Its set up on rims like most junkyard cars are. Is that pretty secure to work under while I pull the stuff I need? Is it even possible to pull it all in one day with just hand tools?
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

It's very possible and the car will be safe on the rims.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Suigintou
In Neutral

Post by Suigintou »

No. :( The underside is rusted to hell. Bolts wouldn't budge. The glass was caved in and resting on the dash, we had no idea how to get the dash out. We even tried bashing it out but the hammer just bounced off the plastic. It was Impossible to get back at those 4 bolts that hold the brake/clutch pedal to the firewall.

I'm tired and beat up, and all I got to show for my work is a rear view mirror.

Anyway, I might just go ahead and covert to FWD manual with Ebay stuff. Tell me if this is enough...

Clutch Pedal

Shifter Linkage

Clutch/flywheel Kit

Clutch Cable

FWD Trans

What else do I need...shifter bushings? Will the 2002 wrx/sti clutch pedal work with a cable? If not does anyone have a clutch pedal assy they can sell me?
Last edited by Suigintou on Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Don't forget AWD gas tank if you don't already have one. At least I was told you need one. (the FWD one doesn't have a spot for the driveshaft I think?)
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Suigintou
In Neutral

Post by Suigintou »

No no...I'm not going to go AWD. Like I said I can't get the parts off the junkyard leggy because of horrible rust and lack of muscle. :lol: