need help - looking at 2004 wrx

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Richard
Third Gear

need help - looking at 2004 wrx

Post by Richard »

Can anyone tell me if there's any reason I shouldn't buy this car? Carfax is clean.

http://rockford.craigslist.org/cto/1778844549.html

I have $200 down to hold it. I plan on looking at it Saturday. Anyone happen to know something about this car or owner?

Oh, and I still check in here and there. My leggy needs maintenance from time to time, but i usually lurk anonymously because I'm too lazy to log in. Right now, the leggy is only pushing 4psi. I think the up-pipe may be rotted or the intake man. gasket opened up again.
-2004 Liquid Silver WRX "Pretty Hate Machine"
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: need help - looking at 2004 wrx

Post by Legacy777 »

Looks alright from the pictures. When you go look at the car, try and determine whether the owner is someone who would "beat" on the car and such.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

He seems legit. I went and looked at it today. The body has its share of scratches, dings, and chips. Some of the dings could possibly be fixed with the "no paint" method. Some of the scratches are deep, but still above primer. There's a little hint of rust inside the gas door - it looks like there's a low spot water can sit in. What is a good price typically for a total fill n paint done well? I just don't want this thing rusting on me too soon. Wisconsin winters suck.

If I paint it, I just might paint it the Crystal Gray Metallic that came out in '05. It's platinum silver now, so it wouldn't be too bad in the spots you can't paint. Maybe not. I do want to debadge it and tint it. It was tinted 20% all around, but he got a ticket with it and ended up stripping the two front windows.

The car seems mechanically sound, though purchase is depending on a 3rd party inspection. I didn't see any leaks or signs of trouble. He did some of the 60k maintenance, but not all of it. I might have the dealer do that so I start off on a good foot. It has the options I want - heated seats, mirrors, and wipers, and a sunroof, which I hear is rare. It's stock, 2nd owner. Dude got it last year at about 60k and it has been his daily driver. He's put 9k on it.

Is $2k below his asking price considered low-balling?
-2004 Liquid Silver WRX "Pretty Hate Machine"
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I'd say that's borderline. I think I'd probably be slightly offended if someone offered me $2,000 less than my listed price.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson