abs leak

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

brodie.gordon
First Gear

abs leak

Post by brodie.gordon »

i just bought a 93 touring wagon that is an automatic and the abs leaks. if i pull the fuses (one in engine bay and one under dash) will that do anything? i have been reading about deleting the abs and it seems that if you have no experience with brake lines this may be difficult. i am unsure whether it would be easier for me to replace with non-abs lines or re-route them with the t-fittings? thanks again for any info.
1991 Legacy turbo
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: abs leak

Post by Legacy777 »

Can you elaborate on where the leak is? Is it on the unit itself? If so, where is it leaking?

Any additional details would be helpful.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
brodie.gordon
First Gear

Post by brodie.gordon »

yeah, i am pretty sure that it is on the actual unit itself. the connections to and from unit and lines seem sturdy so i am assuming that it has something to do with the unit itself. although i have not seen any leaking lately from the unit but i have only moved the car to work on it. this may help, the master cylinder was replaced but i am not sure if they properly bled the brake fluid when replacing it. the brake pedal is way squishy and does nothing until the very bottom of the pedal as well as the abs light on when the car is on.

i tried taking out all the fuses related to the abs and it seem like very little improvement occurred. since i don't really have any experience with brakes other than changing out brake pads, would anyone recommend that i take on the task of deleting the abs by running lines with the t connectors or getting stock non abs lines? do i have to replace all brake lines if i go with stock non abs parts or only the line part in the engine bay? i would imagine that i would have to replace other parts other than the lines as well?

thanks again for any help and info.
1991 Legacy turbo
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Honestly, your cheapest and probably easiest option is going to be to find a used ABS unit from someone on here, or in a junk yard, and swap out the old one.

I really would caution you to putting the tee fittings in if you have limited brake experience. Additionally, if you decide to replace the front lines, you will need to replace the master cylinder and proportioning valve as well.

Brakes are something you don't want to go bad on you.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

brodie.gordon
First Gear

Post by brodie.gordon »

an abs unit seems like it would be hard to find one that was in good working order since the n/a models were not equipped with abs as far as i know? so, what if i went to wrecking yard and got all n/a non abs lines, master cylinder and proportioning valve to replace the abs stuff? would i have less room for error since the lines would be ready to mate up to the other parts? the space where the abs is would be nice to have open for future changes.

so i would only need to replace the master cylinder and proportioning valve only if i changed the front brake lines? can i leave the front brake lines as they are as well as the master cylinder and just swap over the proportioning valve so that the lines end there and the brake lines needed from a non abs to mate up to the proportioning valve? i apologize for my stupidity but i am just thinking out loud and trying to grasp how this works visually. thanks again for the help!
1991 Legacy turbo
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Abs was available on the non-turbo models. The same Nippon abs unit was used on the 90-92 MY Legacies and until mid year on the 92 MT Legacy.

Post a WTB in the parts shed forum and I'm sure someone would have a used ABS unit that would work for a reasonable price.

If you want to see the difference in the abs vs. non-abs brake systems, d/l the parts catalog from me. Starting on page 344 is the brake piping section.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... og_-_FULL/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT