Starter contacts and plunger replacement. Fix the click.

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

biggreen96
Third Gear

Starter contacts and plunger replacement. Fix the click.

Post by biggreen96 »

I finally got sick of having to pop the hood to tap the starter to get my engine running.(':smt021') Soooo I dropped the starter off the car and decided to fix it.

My symptoms were: turn the key, and hear a click. And to determine if the contacts were loose you tap on the starter with something substantial like the lug wrench from the trunk. If the car starts right up after tapping on it, try this fix.

starter opened up, to reveal nasty worn contacts.

New contacts 2.49 at local auto store ( NOT Schucks or pep boyeez) Your store like mine might not have a book to tell you whether they have some that will fit, just go down there and compare. This is really generic import stuff.

I decided to not replace the plunger, it looked fine. The one contact was very scored from being twisted on installation, the other contact looks good too but at 1.25 per why not replace both. THis picture shows both old contacts and the plunger.

There. A fixed starter for under $3.

The starter contact failed because I was taking the starter on and off so many times and every time I tightened the nut that holds the cable that leads to the battery it would twist the contact inside the starter. Be aware if you are constantly swapping motors or trannys...
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

You can also get a repair kit on ebay for $25 that comes with the plunger, contacts, rubber gaskets and plastic bushings.

$32 shipped. The plunger gets pretty worn out as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STARTER- ... 5635ef0e1d

There's plenty of sellers selling these kits on ebay. Just type in "subaru starter kit" and they'll all come up.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

Oh nice. so yeah lots of options to save a few beans.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I think the problem can also be your ignition switch. My first legacy had an intermittent starting problem where sometimes it would click but not start or not click at all. I replaced the contacts and it worked a few times and then stopped working again. It would randomly work and you'd never know when you were going to be able to drive it.

This car had the ignition switch replaced prior to this problem showing up because we got the car without a key and my step dad destroyed the ignition with a screwdriver to get the car to start and drive it home.

I never fixed the problem due to selling the car so I can't say for sure.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Nice! I assumed it was like the alternators where it costs more than twice as much to get rebuild parts as it does to buy a new one at the dealer. I'd much rather rebuild my original than trust a Chinese rebuild.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Cool!

Thanks for the write-up and pictures.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

ahhhh, you really need to see something taken apart to see how it works. Thanks for the pics!
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Brat4by4
Stratified

Re: Starter contacts and plunger replacement. Fix the click.

Post by Brat4by4 »

Yes, it's awesome you can easily get the plunger for the solenoid now. They get crazy pitted after a while, too. It's crazy how many people go out and buy reman starters when the problem is easily fixable. :)
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)