Don't speed in Colorado

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

G-reg
Second Gear

Don't speed in Colorado

Post by G-reg »

Missing a 92 L Wagon, Enjoying an 05 RS Wagon
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Don't speed in Colorado

Post by THAWA »

gotta surround the url with
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
inzomniac
First Gear

Post by inzomniac »

Hmmm I smell a career move in order... drive around in an STi all day in the colorado mountains.. eating doughnuts.. what's not to love!!!
Gary
1995 Legacy LS wagon
1991 Legacy Turbo - 5spd, JDM EJ20 conversion
1985 RX sedan - dual range 4WD, 5spd (P4 rally car)
random aircraft....
HomeSlice
Third Gear

Post by HomeSlice »

gr8wheels done sumtin like that too i think :?
was it really for speeding?
MY93BC Legacy Sonora Sand---> black plasti-dip?
MY93GC Impreza Amethyst--> Glacier/aspen/pd White
93BC"edm" 93GC 90BC R.I.P.
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

Holy Crap!!! That's nuts. It makes a lot of sense though, AWD, lots of power and four doors to boot!

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
czo79
Second Gear

Post by czo79 »

That is so not cool....
Interesting that its all debadged....even the sti in the front grill is gone. Is that a state police camaro pursuit car behind the sti? I saw those on a road trip out to co a few years ago. I also remember hearing a story about NSW Aus, where there had been over a hundred chases of wrx's, and the police had never caught one unless in had satelite tracking anti-theft, or crashed...so they got WRX pursuit cars. I would have to stop running from the police if we got those here, as it is now, 8 months out of the year you can outrun the 5-0 if you got a sweet sube, some driving skillz, and some local road knowledge...
Frankly, I'm not sure I would stop for that thing if it tried to pull me over, I mean, you actually expect me to believe thats a real cop? I saw an undercover police full size conversion van with radar, with someone pulled over on a state highway....I don't think I would have stopped for that either.
Take care y'all...make sure your rear caltrop dispenser is all loaded up and ready to go.
Micum
Micum
91 Legacy Turbo Sport - 94 JDM EJ20G
97 Legacy 2.5 GT - mod'd
93 Impreza L AWD (sold)
97 Legacy 2.5 GT (deceased)
98 Legacy Outback (sold)
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

How much I want to work for the CSP now :mrgreen:

Actually this is nothing new...
This is just a model, but the UK has been using Impreza Turbos for sometime, people actually avoid running away, coz they know they have no chance 8)
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Grant
Second Gear

Post by Grant »

Looks like I'll have to be careful from now on. That's really a smart move on the hp though. Why not have a car that is versatile all year round in the mountains. Hope he stays away from the dirt. We ran from a sheriff the other day in the mountains. Found some heavy fog and pulled onto a side road after putting some distance then killed it and waited til we heard him go by then took off back in the other direction. Couldn't have lost him if he was in an STI and could drive it though. Hmmm. Maybe they need a rally car driver to drive it for them! :D
Grant Hughes
Denver, CO
http://www.nocoastmotorsports.net
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

They have a picture of that STi on display at Mike Shaw Subaru in Thornton since they are the ones who sold it. Maybe the only one since they are charging $5000 above MSRP :shock: while Flatirons and John Elway sell below MSRP. They are sitting on 9 right now. Flatirons has sold 80+ YTD and only has one on the lot for display and they just order them.

I was talking to a salesperson at John Elway Subaru and she that about half of the STi's they've sold have been to cops, who have admitted that the STi can easily outrun their cruisers...

BTW, don't speed in Colorado!!! I have to go to court today in JeffCo for one of the 2 tickets I've gotten in the last 60 days. :evil:
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

Crown Vic cruisers pull 17's in the quarter and have a top speed of 125. Add the mountain of equipment most cops have in their car... they really aren't that fast. Driving skill accounts for why most stupid can't run because the cops have some driver training.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Brat4by4 wrote:Crown Vic cruisers pull 17's in the quarter and have a top speed of 125
And that's with pursuit engines too! Those aren't the average 4.6 V8's... Plus their handling is terrible...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
LegacyPunk
Second Gear

Post by LegacyPunk »

Well, no more speeding for me on I-25, in a way its kinda cool. Anyone who runs from that, is an Idiot. My respect for the state patrol just went up more.
:twisted::cool::twisted: "Plenty of time, to ruin my life, so why start now?" The Movie Life
1993 Sports Sedan, Exhaust, MBC, 02 WRX IC, KYB GR-2s...Now with old back seat!
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

LegacyPunk555 wrote:Anyone who runs from that, is an Idiot.
Unless of course you are in a modded STi :twisted:

Are you sure the police crown vics are that slow, I imagine that they would be slower than a normal car but 17's is like my scoob. You're telling me a few bolt ons and shed some pounds and I could outrun a frickin cop?

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

THAWA wrote:
LegacyPunk555 wrote:Anyone who runs from that, is an Idiot.
Unless of course you are in a modded STi :twisted:

Are you sure the police crown vics are that slow, I imagine that they would be slower than a normal car but 17's is like my scoob. You're telling me a few bolt ons and shed some pounds and I could outrun a frickin cop?
At the track you could, but remember they've got radios and helicopters... :wink:

Just got back from court...always go to court. My ticket for 75 in a 55(Coming down Genessee hill for the CO folks, they speed trap that overpass right before Morrison) was reduced to 10-19mph over the limit and went from 6 pts to 4 and cost me $50+38court costs vs. $250...
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Well, you wouldn't outrun his/her Motorola...

Each year the Michigan State Patrol tests out police package vehicles; here's 2002's report:

http://www.nlectc.org/pdffiles/msp2002bulletin.pdf
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

:shock: Damn! I remember growing up in Oregon and the OSP had Camero and Stang 5.0 pursuit cars. Down in southern Or. they had a Corvette cop car. They were good in the summer but in the winter they all had to use Broncos, Suburbans and Jeeps.

Edit* Spelling
Last edited by legacy92ej22t on Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

well yeah, I wasn't planing on outrunning any cops, even if I did outrun them I'd still be marked in some way shape or form so theres no reason to do so. Plus there's always motocycles cops. But geez that's hella slow, I mean its not HELLA slow but come on, no wonder the cars never catch the people in chases.

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Police bikes are actually significantly slower than the civilian versions of the same Harleys, too... So much extra equipment makes them much heavier.

Yeah, did you ever notice that in every chase on "World's Scariest Police Car Chases part XVII" ends because the perp jumps over a curb and tears all four tires and ends up running just on rims, or something equally stupid? The show tries to make it look like you'll never succeed in running from the cops, but the only examples they have of the cops catching up are when something disastrous happens to the chasee's car.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

I always wish they'd have a show where everyone got away. You KNOW they've got tons of footage of people taking off, never to be caught. It's too bad they only show the morons in '85 Buicks trying to evade 10 cop cars and a helicopter.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

I don't know which harleys they use but some of those things only do mid 15's in the quarter mile in street form (sans windshield, equipment, saddle bags, extra lights, etc...)

Don't get confused between running from a cop and getting 3 car lengths ahead of him in a straight away. Your car pretty much has to be disastrously faster than the pursuing car to lose them in a short time if they are already behind you. Back in the day my friends would have fun and try to lose me while I was driving my 70 hp brat... it wouldn't happen because I'm a smarter driver. They could put some distance on me but would never lose me, which is what you have to do to a cop.

Also don't forget most cops have had some form of driver training. Most pursuees understeer the first corner they try to take fast... the cop won't. Unless your car is ridicidonk fast don't try to run when they are already behind you... even then it is still stupid. Now if they are stuck in traffic trying to turn around or are having some sort of trouble getting onto the road, well... then... :wink:
Last edited by Brat4by4 on Tue May 08, 2007 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

Back when I was growing up in San Mateo county, CA the local CHP had a Lamborghini Countach. They used to bring it out to car shows and stuff. That was one very sweet ride. I talked to one of the cops about it and he claimed it was a drug repo they put into service. :D
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I concur with Brat 4X4, especially in this country of straight roads, it's very hard to lose a car. I used to take on plenty of stuff with my old GL's (basically the same as the brat, but wagon and sedan). Picture that even if you could theoretically do 200mph, where can you do it and for how long? Plus how fast could you get there? There are too many traffic and unknowns to pull that kind of serious speed and most cars that would be capable would be easily spotted. Lose several cruisers and maybe a helicopter and they will look for you. I read about a guy with a Miura that used to bait cops and run off. They ran a check of all those cars in the area and found where the car was garaged in a large parking structure (via insurance co?). When they felt the car, it was still warm and so they just knocked on the guy's door. The only likely way to outrun a cop is to be quick, lucky, and outsmart 'em. Worked for me once.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.