Resonator Delete

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

dumpedwagon
In Neutral

Resonator Delete

Post by dumpedwagon »

Driving a NA 92 legacy wagon. The exhaust has been untouched and it sound's alright but I'm thinking of upgrading soon. My friend wants me to just cut out the resonator (and weld in a straight pipe) instead and throw on a magnaflow muffler down the road. How would stock exhaust without a resonator sound? Thanks!
dumpedwagon
In Neutral

Re: Resonator Delete

Post by dumpedwagon »

P.S. Also, what would be a good muffler to just fit on the stock exhaust? I'm told sport cannon mufflers or something of the kind?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The stock exhaust doesn't have a resonator, just the two cats and muffler. An aftermarket muffler can sound alright on these cars. Depending on the type of muffler, it can drown a little on the highway. Adding a resonator does help cut that out.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
dumpedwagon
In Neutral

Post by dumpedwagon »

We actually have TWO cats? Hmm, that's good to know... Good thing I didn't cut it out. The stock exhaust sounds alright right now and it's got a nice deep tone to it but I'm looking for something louder. Thanks for the info.
soobrdad02
First Gear

Post by soobrdad02 »

I'm in the same boat with a n/a wagon and I've come across Magnaflow's, Dynomax's and Thrush repeatedly in my research on the same topic. I'm still rolling the stock muffler though, as fundage has been on the lean side lately. Good luck and keep us updated! :smt023
"All four wheels spin? Huh, that's AWD..."

*1991 Legacy wagon, 4EAT, n/a*
*1966 Chevrolet C-10 pick-'em-up*