anyone use optima batteries?

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

lucas
Third Gear

anyone use optima batteries?

Post by lucas »

just curious what batteries other members use
1993 legacy ss "Shela"
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Re: anyone use optima batteries?

Post by gijonas »

I use a red top that has been in like 5 of my cars and still rock solid.Some have had bad experiences but mine is a machine!
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
lucas
Third Gear

Post by lucas »

ever think of using a yellow top?
1993 legacy ss "Shela"
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

The red tops are cheaper and work just fine. I've had two. And only because my step dad sold our boat and he forgot that he had borrowed my first one and used it in the boat and didn't get it back before selling it. The first one lasted 5 years and was still running strong. This one has only seen 3 months of use but I'm guessing it will last for years to come.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
LookAsubie
First Gear

Post by LookAsubie »

I have a red top.
1992 legacy SS 5mt, Winestone Metallic.
sooby1206
In Neutral

Post by sooby1206 »

I have used both current yellow top 5 years goin strong.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

The Optimas aren't any lighter than regular lead/acid batteries, are they?

I use whatever Die Hard or such that's handy on rare occasion I need one. The only time I've had a battery not last over 10 years was when an alternator killed it or it was left sitting for years (obviously). Daily drivers, of course. I had an Interstate once that worked fine, but was bigger (and heavier) than necessary as these engines could probably be kick started by a squirrel (especially the EA81 I had it in). I'm not a big fan of that company, but I didn't have a problem with the product.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Nope, they're heavy as hell.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Subiel94
Second Gear

Post by Subiel94 »

Optima is the way to go I heard a story from my teacher that I would like to share. He use to work at summit racing and one day this guy called and said hey I got a question I got a yellow top optima in my jeep and I was out four wheelin and well the battery slid and hit my fan and the fan has cut off two cells. He then said he ran the battery for a month and just decided to call in to see if the warranty would cover it. My teacher wanted to see it he had a pic the battery had two cells chopped right off and the jeep started just fine just a turn of the key and it just started right up. So therefor I will always run optimas yeah they are expensive but that's just to crazy to not trust in the battery.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Or you could properly secure a battery. Tomato / tomahto.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Subiel94
Second Gear

Post by Subiel94 »

But for a battery to work perfectly after it's been cut says a lot. Cut your regular battery in half and see what happens bet it won't start for a month just fine.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I make a practice of not cutting my battery in half. That is impressive, and our marina could maybe have benefited on the Travellifts and such as they'd also be unlikely to blow up as they did, but for most people it seems like wearing a bullet proof vest to commute to work in the suburbs. There's safety and there's paranoia. Most of the cars here are daily road cars, not extreme situation vehicles, and a race car would benefit from a lighter battery altogether. Had I an armored car and did high end security, I'd get one, but otherwise . . . well, it's your money so whatever makes you happy.
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

The real benefit is when you leave your dome light on for like 40 hours and the thing can still somehow start with ease.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I did that for a day or two once in my old legacy wagon with my old red top and it started right up.
rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

I had to return 2 or 3 of them for warranty replacement. No matter what their flashy ad says, they will not handle sitting on a shelf for any extended amount of time. I think mine died after about 18 months of non use. I use a small Odyssey 680 in my Impreza which has it's own drawbacks, but was quite a bit cheaper and a lot lighter.

-Rob
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

If they do die they can usually be recovered if charged properly.You need another good standard battery in between your charger and optima for whatever reason as a buffer but it works on otherwise "dead" ones.

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

rob wrote:I had to return 2 or 3 of them for warranty replacement. No matter what their flashy ad says, they will not handle sitting on a shelf for any extended amount of time. I think mine died after about 18 months of non use. I use a small Odyssey 680 in my Impreza which has it's own drawbacks, but was quite a bit cheaper and a lot lighter.

-Rob

What color did you have? My red top sat for at least 2 years and still had a full charge and started up my legacy just fine. But then my step dad had a blue top marine for his boat and it got drained sitting for too long and wouldn't hold a charge afterwards.
Subiel94
Second Gear

Post by Subiel94 »

Ik someone bought out optima and another company is running them so idk they changed something in them.
__TT__
First Gear

Post by __TT__ »

I've had my yellow top for almost 10 years now. and the one before that was a yellow top as well. They are good batterys. the ones I have heard of " going bad" ...including the one i had before my current. the owners didnt know how to recharge correctly....they require a certain type of charger to bring back from the dead.
94 tleggy wagon, 22t with 2.5 dohc heads, pp6, tdo4, fmic, 3inch catless bpm turbo back, wrx brakes, MANY interior mods to list
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Well even if they don't charge they will replace them if they're under warranty. They don't have a 6 or 7 year warranty as most do but oh well.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

Red top, had it I believe 2 years, and it was used at that. No problems yet!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I've had two yellow tops. I got the second one because I thought it was the cause of my starting problem....it wasn't. I will say that they do require a special charging method or charger if their charge gets too low.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
fngearhead
First Gear

Post by fngearhead »

I've had a yellow top in my Jeep for couple years. I ran the winch for an hour with the engine off. It started right up. I've got a Napa brand dry cell in the Subaru, no problems with it either.
1989 Cherokee-lifted, locked and beat up
1991 Legacy L 5MT AWD with EJ20G swap SOLD... and rolled :(
1993 Turbo Wagon resurrected with '95 WRX guts
Subiel94
Second Gear

Post by Subiel94 »

fngearhead wrote:I've had a yellow top in my Jeep for couple years. I ran the winch for an hour with the engine off. It started right up. I've got a Napa brand dry cell in the Subaru, no problems with it either.
hey got any pics of your jeep cherokee? i got a 95 xj
fngearhead
First Gear

Post by fngearhead »

http://sprout.smugmug.com/Cars/Jeep/575 ... 5218_XpADE
My mom bought it new in '89. She's so incredibly proud of what I've done with it.
1989 Cherokee-lifted, locked and beat up
1991 Legacy L 5MT AWD with EJ20G swap SOLD... and rolled :(
1993 Turbo Wagon resurrected with '95 WRX guts