02 top mount project

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jdmellor28
First Gear

02 top mount project

Post by jdmellor28 »

ahhhhh what did i get my self in to here , its gona be sweet but it seems there are not enough hours in the day ....

after a few trips to a few auto/hardware stores i think ( and hope ) i have everything i will need ...

my car had a wrx coolant tank on it when i bought it but it was not done in the best way to put it nicely

so my first step was to make a cool mount for the wrx tank and run new heater hose .

next we started in on moding out the wrx y pipe with a few rad hose bits and a short exhaust pipe .. but we didnt get too far and had to stop for the day .

I have a new hood and wrx scoop going on with the top mount and blowoff valve along with a boost controler , i think im gona put it at 12 psi .. and drive the wheels off !

any input is welcome and helpful

going to work on photos soon
jdm jeffrey
photos : http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q140/jeffreydm28/legacy/
jdmellor28
First Gear

photos

Post by jdmellor28 »

here is the bracket i made from angle steel i got at the hardware store, i bolted it to the spot the A/C used to bolt in.

this is the start of the y pipe adapter , it needs trimmed way down but like i said we had to call it a day

all finished up complete with like 10 zip ties !
jdm jeffrey
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

you will likely have trouble with the rad hose. it's not a long term solution for boost piping.
coolant tanks not going anywhere though.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
jdmellor28
First Gear

Post by jdmellor28 »

ya thats what i have been reading i guess its mostly just a mock up thing i look to change to the silicone y pipe kit from ebay one day when i have more cash flow.
im doing so much all at once im running out of funds hahah
jdm jeffrey
jdmellor28
First Gear

its on !

Post by jdmellor28 »

well here is the car with the new hood and 2003 wrx scoop
here is the rubber rad hose i used to conect the turbo to the wrx y pipe , i cut the bend off the bottom of the y pipe leaving just enough to clamp the rad hose to .
back together with blow off valve Image
another look at my hose from turbo to y pipe
as you know the 2002 wrx top mount is huge and will not fit well . i knew this going in but had no idea how bad it was , i had to take the 3 lb. hammer to the fire wall :twisted: , and my NEW hood and my cut off wheel became REAL good friends :? ... i need a photo of the underside of the hood still , but this is the big chunk we had to cut out just to get the hood to shut
no need to saay that everything fits very well now . but the intercooler does sit on the fire wall and the clutch master cly. i look to make some sort of mount for the cooler so it doesnt giggle around too much .
jdm jeffrey
Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

you shouldn't have had to cut your hood at all. All you need to do is cut like 1/4inch off the TB or the IC where is goes into the TB. That's all we had to do on my friends 94' SS to make it fit well
92' SS: SOLD
98' 2.5GT SOLD, bought back, new stupid build in the works.
98' 2.5 GT-rx :bought not built
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

Grayguy wrote:you shouldn't have had to cut your hood at all. All you need to do is cut like 1/4inch off the TB or the IC where is goes into the TB. That's all we had to do on my friends 94' SS to make it fit well
+1. That, and the firewall bashing. :D
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!
jdmellor28
First Gear

Post by jdmellor28 »

that prob would have worked but it seemed like if we would have cut the IC and TB flanges we would not have much to clamp too . so i just decided to chop da hood .
it works , just a bit tight , my new biggest problem is the rad hose i used to conect the turbo to the y pipe came off under lots o boost but its back on and im prob gona order up a diff y pipe set up .

also i dont like boost controlers ... i have ball and spring, it builds up then bleeds off ... gurrrrr
jdm jeffrey
92ss satinsvoice
Third Gear

Post by 92ss satinsvoice »

jdmellor28 wrote:also i dont like boost controlers ... i have ball and spring, it builds up then bleeds off ... gurrrrr
thats what a normal boost controller is.... :-D
Andy
94 L n/a 5spd, Rip
92 ss burgundy, weekend toy - owner since 2006
mods: too much to list, lost track after $16,000
91 ss champagne - Rip
93 L wagon - Sold (in the family)
97 OBW LTD - Sold (in the family)
88 Leon GL Hatchback - DD
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

I used to have a problem with my old front mount kit, if the ends of the piping were cut off flat my hoses would pop off on boost.

A friend of mine suggested i use super glue and even tho it was as stupid as it seemed, worked very well. so in the mean time if you need tohold off to buy a y pipe, i suggest/recommend super glue.

It's actually pretty easy to clean up too and isn't a pain in the ass to get off the piping.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
jdmellor28
First Gear

Post by jdmellor28 »

ya turns out i had more problems than i knew about ... my cheep bov leaked out my high boost , and my clutch also slips over 10psi ... along with an old boost controler i got from a friend . but i have everything figured out now and im working on fixing said problems
jdm jeffrey
92ss satinsvoice
Third Gear

Post by 92ss satinsvoice »

jdmellor28 wrote:ya turns out i had more problems than i knew about ... my cheep bov leaked out my high boost , and my clutch also slips over 10psi ... along with an old boost controler i got from a friend . but i have everything figured out now and im working on fixing said problems
awesome dude. get er goin! :-)
Andy
94 L n/a 5spd, Rip
92 ss burgundy, weekend toy - owner since 2006
mods: too much to list, lost track after $16,000
91 ss champagne - Rip
93 L wagon - Sold (in the family)
97 OBW LTD - Sold (in the family)
88 Leon GL Hatchback - DD
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

do u have any pix on how u ran ur piping from the turbo to the tmic? did u cut the stock y-pipe, hose used, etc. i'm working on the same setup right now and i need help to make it fit. :)
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

This has been gone over alot and people cause themselves so many headaches.

if your doing the intercooler you'll save alot of time and effort by doing this

Get a td04, because its really cheap
only use 06-07 intercooler, it's a clean fit
buy a silicone y pipe for 06-07 wrx, i think 02-05 is workable too.
2" o.d thinwall piping
2.25 od thinwall piping 6"'s of each should be fine
1 2.25 silicone elbow for turbo inlet
clamps, t-bolt will work the best.

no problems, no hood cutting, no firewall bashing, no restrictions

and all in a day's work ;-)
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Re: 02 top mount project

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-i still need help with the same setup. all i have left is to connect the vf11 to the 02 tmic!

-Joe
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
brodie.gordon
First Gear

Post by brodie.gordon »

Ok, so I am just curious, if I have a td04 swap and a 02 tmic with stock y-pipe will it mate up to the td04 without modifying the y-pipe? Would the only thing that I have to "modify" be smashing in the part of the firewall that juts out? hehe. And it seems that the bpv on the 02-03 doesn't hit the throttle cables?

Thanks
1991 Legacy turbo
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

brodie.gordon wrote:Ok, so I am just curious, if I have a td04 swap and a 02 tmic with stock y-pipe will it mate up to the td04 without modifying the y-pipe? Would the only thing that I have to "modify" be smashing in the part of the firewall that juts out? hehe. And it seems that the bpv on the 02-03 doesn't hit the throttle cables?

Thanks
-I would say no. I am running this setup and I didn't have to smash in the firewall but I did have to smash down the top of the dog bone housing on the firewall so the TMIC would fit with the hood closed. I also cut off some of the outlet lip to shorten it... just enough to fit a hose clamp around it. It works but I cant wait to go front mount!

-Joe
brodie.gordon
First Gear

Post by brodie.gordon »

The outlet lip? Are you talking about the connection on the bottom of the intercooler that connects to the intake manifold? There isn't much of a lip there! If I cut it wouldn't that risk nothing to clamp down on and possible leak?

Do you know if the stock y-pipe on those would make it over to the td04 without modifying it?

Right now I am running a jdm slanty but thought if I can get this one to fit that it would be better because it is larger and fit straight and get more airflow from the scoop? Also would the stock WRX bpv be advantageous to the stock legacy one? Would there be any problems running the WRX bpv?

Sorry about all the questions but I have not seen answers pertaining specifically to the stock 02 y-pipe running to a td04 and of the stock WRX bpv works or causes problems.

Thanks again
1991 Legacy turbo
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

The outlet lip? Are you talking about the connection on the bottom of the intercooler that connects to the intake manifold? There isn't much of a lip there! If I cut it wouldn't that risk nothing to clamp down on and possible leak?
-I'm talking about the part where a hose would connect to the TB. Even if you wanted, you could shave some lip off the TB too!
Do you know if the stock y-pipe on those would make it over to the td04 without modifying it?
-I personally would say no. I had many problems with the stock y-pipe. You can buy an aftermarket silicone y-pipe or fab something up yourself. Like what I did was capped off the further away hole on the bottom of the TMIC, got a small piece of exhaust pipe, and some radiator hose and ran it from the turbo to one inlet on the bottom of the TMIC.
Also would the stock WRX bpv be advantageous to the stock legacy one? Would there be any problems running the WRX bpv?
-As I see it, I wouldn't even bother unless your stock BPV is malfunctioning. I understand the stock legy BPV can hold up to 30psi.
Sorry about all the questions but I have not seen answers pertaining specifically to the stock 02 y-pipe running to a td04 and of the stock WRX bpv works or causes problems.
-No problem, I try to help where I can!

-Joe