Do 14" Wheels Clear Turbo Brakes?

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Do 14" Wheels Clear Turbo Brakes?

Post by kimokalihi »

I know this has been asked before but I can't remember. I have a set of studded snow tires in my garage but they're 14" and either I need to buy a new set of 15" tires to fit my stock SS wheels or buy a set of steelies to fit the 14" snow tires.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Re: Do 14" Wheels Clear Turbo Brakes?

Post by Alphius »

14" steelies as found on second-gen Legacy will not fit over Turbo brakes. That combo I have personally tried. :) Something with a different offset might work in 14" however.
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

What size are the stock wheels on the 93 ls? I have a set of those that i'd sell you really cheap if they fit.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
2004 Forester 2.5XT Premium | JBP 18L
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

14s I think. I didn't think 14's would fit so I guess I should sell the snow tires.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

aw sad.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Maybe a better question is, what do you think will handle the snow better - Metro with FWD at stock ride height w/studded snows or legacy lowered 3" on snow tires (studded or not)?

I'm worried about clearance and I do not want to raise the car back up again because then I would have to get an alignment again and in the spring I'd have to drop it again and realign it and that's too much work and money. There's talk going around of el nina and a bad winter around the corner and the last bad winter we had I nearly got high centered on the ruts in the road in the metro with studded snow tires. If I would have stopped at all I would have been stuck.
Deride
Second Gear

Post by Deride »

I'm guessing the metro with studded tires would be just fine. If you get stuck you can just get out of the car and lift it up by yourself pretty much right? lol
2002 Impreza 2.0RS 6MT
2001 Impreza 2.5RS 5MT (winter beater)
1992 Jeep Cherokee
1994 SS 5MT RIP
1991 SS 5MT *SOLD*
1996 Legacy Outback 5MT *SOLD*
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

i high centered in the snow one year before i lowered it. additionally, front wheel drive cars are pretty good in the snow right?
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

No way. That car car weighed 2000 lbs when I got it and with all the extensive sound deadening and speakers and amp and sub it's probably 2200lbs. FWD flat out sucks.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

I drove through some crazy stuff, pushing snow with my front bumper on my slammed (3" clearance) '96 Legacy on all-seasons, so I see no reason that your t-leg with snows shouldn't be able to push through 6+ inches of snow no problem. Any more than that, and you might have issues though.
Falken-18c
Second Gear

Post by Falken-18c »

my 92 legacy l i loved it last winter there were cars trucks sliding all over the place at 40-60km a hr then theres me passing people doing 80-100km all season probly 70%tread no power steering maybe went a lil sideways at times but nothing the legacy couldnt handle probly abot 8-12" of snow. snow plows havent hit the roads yet but i think the no power steering HELPED the most
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah I remember going 80mph in 3 or 4 inches of snow in my 90 L wagon with 4EAT AWD on studded snows and swerving side to side lost no traction. I put the pedal to the floor from a dead stop and it launched like it was on dry pavement. I was quite impressed with my first experience with AWD.

Then the last 4 years I've been driving a FWD metro with hardly any clearance and even on studded snows it's nothing in comparison but it only got stuck once.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Can you get taller tires to fit the Metro?
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Oh yeah that thing is has monster truck wheel gaps.