power shift mode

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

the94subaru
First Gear

power shift mode

Post by the94subaru »

I've read the posts about this and I had it working a year ago but then it just stopped. I just had to put another trans in it and I would like this to work again. I have a switch shorting A4 to ground and this worked before but now doesn't I tried shorting it ride to ground eliminating the switch but still nothing. And yes I have it in drive when I'm testing it. I don't know what else to try any help would be appreciated. .
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: power shift mode

Post by ciper »

How do you know its not working?
the94subaru
First Gear

Post by the94subaru »

power light isn't lit up when it worked before it was lit up all the time when the switch was on and it was in gear. I know the power light works because it illuminates on start up. the car is a 94 ss I forgot to mention. Is there a chance that I burnt up that pin of the TCU somehow I thought I might have blew a fuse or something but I checked them all and they seem good. I don't really know what that pin is connected to. Like I said it just stopped working one day and I didn't have time to look at it now that trans died and I got another one and just put it in and it works fine but still no manual power shift do I possibly need another TCU
the94subaru
First Gear

Post by the94subaru »

never mind sorry I wasted your time, just give the bone head award. I was working on it last night in the dark and when I looked at again today in the daylight I saw I was putting it in the wrong pin. put it in the right one flicked the switch put it in drive and boom power light so it works now thank you for your help
91Beater
First Gear

Post by 91Beater »

This suggests that when ATF is hot, it will lock-in to power shift mode to reduce torque converter slippage, thus reduce dissipation within the transmission.

http://www.northursalia.com/techdocs/pd ... n/4eat.pdf

So, you could try placing a resistor across the transmission fluid sensor to simulate hot fluid conditions.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

91Beater wrote:So, you could try placing a resistor across the transmission fluid sensor to simulate hot fluid conditions.
This is a nifty idea!