modding 92 legacy LS?

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Gravija
In Neutral

modding 92 legacy LS?

Post by Gravija »

im gonna be driving soon (hoepfully getting my permit)
and my dad's gonna give me his old 92 legacy LS, FWD, auto, 155k miles
the back two covers on the rims have fallen off (the little circles that say "subaru") so im wondering where i can get a diffferent set of wheels (maybe go 17" if possible?)

also, are there any body kits out there for a 92legacy?
and what mods are there in terms of HP are there that would be cheap yet effective (no im not going to street race, but id like to have a little more power than 122hp)

and finally, what would you (since you all know better than me) do mod up a legacy?

thanks
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

People will tell you to do a search on the body kits and wheels, but I recommend 15 or 16". There are not many things for body kits. HP is more like 135 or up (I believe they were underrated slightly), but more importantly is an almost equal amount of torque (135 Subaru HP=>135 Honda HP). Torque is a better measure of power. There's not much to do with an N/A but to cut the snorkel and put in a K&N. Tires will come with the wheels and make the rest of the difference. Don't waste your money on any more than that unless you want to drop in a turbo motor and convert to awd (like I'm doing). These cars are plenty fast when driven right.

The best way to make any car faster is to learn to drive. Starting in an auto makes it easier to learn left foot braking (don't tell your driving instructor), balancing weight transfer (these cars are pretty well balanced), and smooth steering inputs. Try to practice taking a curve with only one turn of the wheel in and one even turn out. Remember to look ahead, not at the car in front, but further ahead where you want to go. These cars can outcorner idiots in BMWs when driven right. The good thing is you don't need to speed to practice these things. There's plenty of other stuff, but this could go on forever. Wait until my second book's done... Actually, don't hold your breath, pick up some professional's driving book. Maybe take a real driving school if you can. Good luck - my first Subaru had 73 HP.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

You should put an aluminum wing on it, and install a STi hood scoop. It'll do way more for an aggressive stance than a bodykit.
*please note i'm joking*

Oh yeah. And for the love of god, get into autocrossing this coming spring. It will teach you more about your abilities as a driver and your vehicles limits than anything else can, safely.
Last edited by LaureltheQueen on Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
subafreak
First Gear

Post by subafreak »

Your two best power mod options are to either drop a 2.5L block between the heads or swap in a 2.2L Turbo. The 2.5L swap would be eisiest but depending on what and where you can find for parts the cost could be the same.

WRX guys are ussually throwing away their 16" wheels for 17"s, so you should be able to find a good cheap set of those, and staying with 16" keeps the Legacys rally fun ability from destroying your wheels.

Not much for body kits (please don't really put a big aluminum wing on it) The Turbo bumper and hood look good :D But other than that you might be able to graft on some late model side skirts.

I plan on sending both my kids to a performace driving school befor they ever get to drive alone. :wink:
92 SVX 6 speed, 165 shot NOS, Koni GC
91 Legacy S.S. FMIC, TD04 (so what?)
90 Legacy wagon (Beater)
92 Loyal monster wagon (EJ22) and 30" tires.
78 BRAT (EJ22T comming)

I blow s@#t up.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Forget everything these guys said.

The first thing you should do is find the parts to convert to 4WD. Even with stock power and drag slicks you'll end up spinning a wheel.
Gravija
In Neutral

Post by Gravija »

so roughly how much would these cost in the San Franciso Area?

16" WRX wheels (where to get?):
2.5L BLock (engine, im assuming):
STi hood scoop:
conversion to 4WD (what do i need?):

and is it possible to bump up the sound system, this car doesn't even have a CD player

heh, i can't even drive yet, soon though, soon

thanks
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Why bother spending all that money to put in the lesser EJ25 for a little extra power when a turbo wouldn't be that much more and is a nearly indestructable engine? Plus you can work on it and get it ready while you drive the car around (or if you have enough time and money before you even have to). A friend of mine restored a '68 Chevelle SS396 with his dad from when he was 14. Had it ready by the time he got his license.

Do an internet search for auto recyclers and engines - there's one out there where you plug in the part you want and it matches to different yards. I got my engine for $750. Bargain with them, too. They originally wanted $900 for mine. For awd, you'll need transmission, rear end, new bolts for lateral links (two each/side vs. one on fwd), rear hubs, struts, gas tank...hm. I think that's it.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
ShinobiSilver
In Neutral

Post by ShinobiSilver »

ahhh, gravija, i feel your pain. I just bought a 92 FWD legacy for my first car about 6 months ago. Thought i made out pretty well until it snowed believe me, id much rather have AWD that a turbo so if your serious about this, AWD is the first thing you need, if nothing else then for practicallity.
'92 FWD Legacy sdn

Current Mods:
-Wal-mart wheel covers
-Flaming Dice Air Freshener
-"Custom" Fender Rust
-Spilt Mt Dew on Radio

"I live my life ten seconds from rice"
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

I'd say awd is definitely the first thing you should go about changing. I'd also recommend a manual transmission. with the automatic tranny, you only get 10% of your power to the rear, and 90% to the front. Manual does a near even 50/50 split

$.02

dont get a hood scoop unless you're turbo. :)
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

I thought we were 50/50 in 1st/2nd gears and 90/10 in 3rd/4th? (auto only)
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

LaureltheQueen wrote:with the automatic tranny, you only get 10% of your power to the rear, and 90% to the front. Manual does a near even 50/50 split
10% cruising, more can be transferred as necessary. Ciper will surely chime in to let us know about how auto drivetrain is better.

I'd say, seeing that you're a new driver, don't shoot straight to the bling rims, hoodscoop, and mondo power. 135 hp is plenty to get in to trouble with. Body kits and big rims get bent up, then people laugh at you. Stereo- YES. I would also attack some abandoned parking lots to get a feel for how the car behaves when you do wierd stuff. If you must go straight to modifications, replace the worn out suspension first. It's a safety thing that makes the car more fun.

I got my first car as a hand-me-down, rebuilt and replaced practically everything on it (obtained most of my automotive knowlege), and promptly planted it in to a concrete support. It was a lack of experience accident. Be careful out there, I've been driving for 5 years now, and i still suck.

Gad i sound like a mommy. Wanna race?
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
Gravija
In Neutral

Post by Gravija »

yea, im not gonna try to mod it probably after i get my license and get like 6mon - 1yr exp, but probably my first priority would be either to get a AWD legacy or get the parts and change it
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

THAWA has it right. auto is 50/50 in 1st and starts to change over in second. it's 90/10 through 3rd and 4th. but it'll snap righ tback to 50/50 if it detects slip.

MT is 55/45 f/r in all gears

the 4EAT has a much more sophisticated AWD system. acts faster, compensates better. the MT is basically tractor technology... primative but it gets the job done and does a good job at it. you won't notice the difference between the 2 systems unless you really get sliding around in a parking lot or something.

if you're going to be swapping trannies, I say go with the 5MT in the first place, because you'll want it later. trust me.

as far as engines, I STRONGLY reccommend the EJ22t over the EJ25. the EJ22t is nearly indestructible as long as you can keep the oil inside the engine... and keep the pulley from falling off the crank. those 2 things aside it's arguably the strongest block Subaru has ever put out. it makes 5 horsies less than an EJ25 stock, and with an 8 dollar boost controller from ebay you can get above that number pretty quickly. oh, and there's some torque too.

of course you could always drive this car around for a while, and wait till a good deal on a legacy turbo comes around. it won;t cost that much more than a full swap, and then your LS will be a parts car.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I highly recommend beating on it while learning how to drive before trying to upgrade the power. Horsepower is a crutch you'll lean on rather than learning how to drive (since humans are inherently lazy). Learn how to drive then step into anything and go fast. All my friends have had faster cars, but none of them can parallel park at 50mph like in a stunt movie or J-turn a manual transmission car. And none of them even think of challenging me in anything but a drag race. A slower car allows you to reach the limits at a safer speed. Speed kills because inexperienced people think its just like driving regular except you have to react faster. Utterly wrong. It's more like the difference between driving in the snow vs. asphalt. I've known too many people that have died because they went with too fast a car before anything else. I also blame the parents, too - buy a first time driver a new Ram Air Firebird and get him an NOS kit for his birthday?! Too bad he's too dead now to ask him how bad he felt about the 18 yr old girl he decapitated when her body smashed into the overhead traffic light.

Even I'm here by the grace of God (well, someone anyway). Sermon's over, please remain seated while we pass around the collection plate.

Steve
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

Haha, I agree. My first car was a crx Si. only 108 hp stock, but it weighed only 2000 lbs, was fun as hell to drive, but damn, i didnt know the limits of the car, nor myself, slid it into a curb once, off the road once, got a speeding ticket and accidentally backed into a stump my first 6 months. Yes, girls cant drive, but still. I then inherited the partywagon. No accidents other than the deer, and that doesnt count. lol. Seriously, if you're really into legacies, beat the shit out of this one, learn to drive well, and when you're ready, upgrade to an awd turbo. Suspension would be the first thing i'd replace. My suspension's been trashed for the last few years, and it kinda scares me sometimes. Still waiting for my damn springs to ship. Try finding some back roads you are 100% sure are deserted, and copless, and learn how to take the corners.
Pacman
In Neutral

Post by Pacman »

I belive the best thing to do Gravija is to save your money and buy a newer subaru/ car or for all the upgrades which will cost you. With a 92 FWD, auto, 155k miles i would maybe up grade the sound system with a new deck and speakers/ sub and a set of rims. Subarus last pretty good but with that milage and a young driver i would not invest alot into the engine/ transmission and body. Plus you never know when you will need a new radiator, belt, and all the other stuff that starts to add up on a older car. Of course i threw 16's on my 90 put in new system with a sub, went in on a group buy for fiberglass hood and bumper(still waiting) and love everytime i drive it to work, the store or just to drive. Do what will make YOU happy!!
2004 AWD 6-spd STI- Mine
1990 AWD 5 spd Legacy L SDN- Mine
1992 AWD SVX- Brother
1992 AWD SVX- Dad
2003 AWD Legacy H-6 Outback SDN- Mom
subafreak
First Gear

Post by subafreak »

True, very good advice. If it's gonna be your first car just drive it into the ground. The Legacy has enough power to get you in trouble without a turbo. Plus being FWD you can explore the fun of E-brakes, every 16 year old wants to do E-brakes. ( something I never got to do growing up on BRATs, Loyals, and AWD Legacys). I wouldn't waste your money on it, just put some bump in the trunk so your freinds can here you comming from 3 blocks away, and some decent cheap wheels so the babes with come swarming when you pull into McD's. Other than that you are just gona hit stuff and your roudy teenage freinds are gona brake stuff on the inside. :roll:

BTW. Legacys jump well too. :wink:
92 SVX 6 speed, 165 shot NOS, Koni GC
91 Legacy S.S. FMIC, TD04 (so what?)
90 Legacy wagon (Beater)
92 Loyal monster wagon (EJ22) and 30" tires.
78 BRAT (EJ22T comming)

I blow s@#t up.
Gravija
In Neutral

Post by Gravija »

an e-brake is pulling the parking brake while driving right?

engine mods are probably out, since i don't have a job and my dad will be paying for it, but i think he'll go as far as letting me get maybe spoilers, probably sound system, and depending on cost, def. new wheels

and suggestions on those? (gonna stalk my local subaru dealer for WRX wheels)
and can i put the WRX bottom bumper part onto my legacy?
finally, can i change my headlights (dad/aunt complain they are dim) to brighter?

what else would be a cool but sorta cheep mod?
btw, assuming you are saying McDonalds by McD, ive never been there in like 4 years, but lol

thanks
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I dont like Gravija's idea for the car.

"spoilers, probably sound system, and depending on cost, def. new wheels"

All three will make the car slower. Of any of them think about the best tires you can get and with whats left cheap wheels (if not keeping the stock units).

"cool but sorta cheep mod"
The cool cheap mod would be to spend the money getting the car in good shape instead of wasting it on items that make no difference. Replacing the struts and getting better brakes come to mind.
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

This sentence in no way promotes the company sylvania nor their product of silverstar headlight bulbs.

please, i repeat please DO NOT put a spoiler on your car. Contrary to popluar belief, it will not make your penis bigger. if you did that in washington, and I saw you, I would photograph your car, and put it in my rice patrol album.

wheels, if you want new wheels and a stereo, I dont blame you, but dont go for friggin heavy bling bling wheels or focals, or a 50,000,000,000,000lb sub box. get good tires if you get wheels, and I would suggest suspension. You can convince your father into spending more on performance suspension upgrades by explaining to him how it will make the vehicle safer. Hit me on aim if you have any questions. I am too, a young'un, but with a bit more experience in this phase of the transformation.
Last edited by LaureltheQueen on Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

LaureltheQueen: I suggest you edit your post to remove the first sentence. Otherwise any board members who read it will jump on you.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

A well maintained car is a happy car and happy cars don't break down. So the money you save you can spend on chicks. Do this as much as you can because after college, the variety of choices really dries up. Check the 'I'm Depressed' thread if you wanna see how pathetic you may become. :lol:

Steve