Obd1 Piggyback Tuner Options??

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

mattsbc
In Neutral

Obd1 Piggyback Tuner Options??

Post by mattsbc »

What's Up Guys? Been a long time since I've posted... I am now the proud owner of a 1994 Subaru Legacy Sport! Love this one more then the '91 lol! Anyways, I'm wondering am I able to use a piggyback tuner on obd1 ej22t? I haven't found any for my Legacy, which is ok, I was thinking about an Apexi piggyback something universal? I am looking to buy and install some Sti pink top sidefeeds and a jecs n/a maf sensor, is there a piggyback controller that could support something like this on a obd1 ej22t?
'91 Legacy Turbo- Died...
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Sedan 5MT, FMIC, TD04 Clocked, Custom DP and exhaust, STI Yellow Top Sidefeeds, N/A Fuel Rails, Deatschwerx 255lph Fuel Pump, AEM Wideband Uego Setup, Apex-I S-AFC, MBC soon to be EBC! This thing rocks!!!
mattsbc
In Neutral

Re: Obd1 Piggyback Tuner Options??

Post by mattsbc »

Yellow Top, Not Pink... Sorry Folks
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Sedan 5MT, FMIC, TD04 Clocked, Custom DP and exhaust, STI Yellow Top Sidefeeds, N/A Fuel Rails, Deatschwerx 255lph Fuel Pump, AEM Wideband Uego Setup, Apex-I S-AFC, MBC soon to be EBC! This thing rocks!!!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I would recommend staying away from the piggy back options. I don't particularly like how they perform.

I'd suggest a robtune ECU

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=43744
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

^+1000
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
mattsbc
In Neutral

Post by mattsbc »

Right On I've heard good things about the Robtuned Ecu... I will look into them. I just figured that the piggyback would be cheaper as I am tuning on a budget. Are there any piggybac options better then others also does the Robtuned ECU come specific for your upgrades? I am adding parts as I go but still want to have a B.A. Legacy
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

"tuning on a budget" OH, How I dread those words.....

I'm not being a jerk,...just don't know you from Eve's pal.....Are you really good @ tuning? You've tuned multiple cars before? Do it in your sleep, even?

If not, save yourself the grief/aggravation/and $$ and just get the Rob Tuned ECU. After installing the hardware - Turbo/Injectors/MAF/etc and do the little bit of wiring under the dash, you'll be smoking most Stage 1 STi's and Stage 2 WRX's, esp. if you do the STi 550 injectors/TD05 combo.

After you spend a lot more time wiring it in, multiple trips down your private back road to log, and lots and lots of visits to your local gas pump (between logging runs),....and expect $300 minimum if you DO take it in for a Dyno tune......., it likely STILL won't run as well as the Rob Tuned ECU.

Have I made my point? :-)

BTW, I get no 'payola' from Sir Rob...just think it's a great deal and he's genuinely a good guy (put up w/endless questions when I bought it!).

Also, How did you get the STi TMIC in there???

GL,
TD
Last edited by wtdash on Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
mattsbc
In Neutral

Post by mattsbc »

The top mount was easy... cut out the underside of the hood scoop, reoved theat stupid chimeney, cut about a foot and half. Of the rib out on the fire wall, a.nd a little slight customization with my handy dandy 10lb sledge also to the firewall, bought hard piping kit with silicone y pipe and installed. (Although now I am running a frontmount for a wrx) Piece of cake with a little engenuity. Yeah you know I like the tuning and work that goes into it I have tnes a couple Acuras and hondas so I'm not completely new to it. It sounds to me if you want the easy route go Robtuned, don't get me wrong I like somethings easy as well, but I also like to have a little more hands on expeirance with my vehicles. I understand you like Robtuned, however, I asked about piggyback cause that is what I'm going to install. I appreciate the input I would also appreciate it if I could get an answer to the question I asked.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

lol wow little bit of attitude? He was only trying to help you out with your wallet.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

kimokalihi wrote:lol wow little bit of attitude? He was only trying to help you out with your wallet.
Kimo,
Naw...this isn't NASIOC, thank goodness.
Yeah you know I like the tuning and work that goes into it I have tnes a couple Acuras and hondas so I'm not completely new to it.
Cool...then you can try out the Greddy E-manage Blue or Ultimate (I had 2 tuners fail to tune my Forester project w/the Ultimate - so be warned), PP6-Perfect Power, and AEM F/IC, among others.

GL and have a nice day,
Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The recommendations away from the piggy back are less about the tuning and more about how the piggy back ECU interfaces and its compatibility with the turbo legacy ECU's. The simply explanation is they don't interface well. This leads to quite a bit more frustration, tuning time, problems, cost, etc.

I tried running a PP6 with my stock ECU and wired it in via a patch cable and even without any tweaking of the stock signals I would get intermittant bucking and complete power loss. It was very weird. At the time the Robtune ECU was not around and I was at the HP limits of the stock ECU. I decided to go with a stand alone. While the power gains are pretty impressive, the amount of time and money that has gone into tuning and retuning when modifications change is absurd. Had the Robtune ECU been available when I was choosing, I would have gone that route with the 550 cc injectors and called it a day.

I do have more control over the ECU and how things run with the stand alone, but that brings in a bunch more headache. If you've got the time to mess with it, by all means try the piggy back out, but want to make sure you have a full picture from those of us that have tried it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

mattsbc
In Neutral

Post by mattsbc »

Right On, All theses are better answers I apreciate the help, I really do! I was trying to find the RobTune ECU online and am having trouble... I did some seious thinking and have to at the very least look into the RobTune ECU. I would like t know if RobTune has a website so I can check it out. I am interested in getting a tune of some sort so instead of acting like a jerk I will look into all options. Thank You Guys for all the input!
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Rob is on NASIOC and here is his THREAD on here..

As far as I know he doesn't have a website.

Rob does this is as a side-job, so if you PM/email you may not get an immediate response.

THREAD for a summary of the EJ20G upgrade process.

Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

I use the pp6 with good results.

1990 NA Ecu.

Wastegate spring could not hold pressure. :(

Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Mr Vincent!

Good to see you around again :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

As far as a piggy back ecu goes, i find its not to bad for the price!

I made mine for around $700 thats everything in and new.

As far as driveability goes with a piggy back.

I have had no really bad issues with it. Car never knew it was in there until i swapped out the injectors.

You only will really get some serious issues when you play with injector. From that point on, you should get it tuned.

Otherwise its soild for what you pay for.

I like them.
93 Legacy Turbo AT Sliver Stock, Ultra Rotty Body
93 Legacy Turbo MT Silver Rob Tune 550cc Lowered GT28 AWIC 4.11 05 Leg GT rims Mint body
95 Chevy Corvette MT ZR-1 Black X Brace Chipped
94 Legacy Turbo AT Blue Stock SOLD
06 Pontiac G6 AT Green Stock SOLD
mattsbc
In Neutral

Post by mattsbc »

Thanks I appreciate the help guys!