Whats a good summer tire these days?

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Re: Whats a good summer tire these days?

Post by 93Leg-c »

So, what tires did you end up buying and how do you like them?
'94 TW
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I got michelin pilot super sports. They're very grippy and I love them. Quite expensive, however. $775 with no tire replacement guarantee. Its parked for the winter most likely. Needs new wheel bearing, axle, tie rod ends, alignment and wiring harness fixed.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
BoneIslandScooby
First Gear

Post by BoneIslandScooby »

What sizes do you guys run? 205-50-16? How about for 15's & 17's?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

225/45/17 but I probably should have gone 235+ on this 8" wheel.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

BoneIslandScooby wrote:What sizes do you guys run? 205-50-16? How about for 15's & 17's?
It depends on what you are doing with your Subie (offroad, drag, rally, climbing hills, highway driving, etc.), what gearing you have, and your preferences. For instance, if you do mostly interstate driving, it's probably not the best idea to have 4.44 gearing with smaller diameter tires (unless you like having the engine run at high rpms for long distances); it might be okay if you're constantly going to be climbing steep hills in low speed city, stop-and-go driving while carrying a lot of weight in your car.

For me, I have the stock 3.90 ratio and I'm comfortable with the stock 195/60 15 tires or the 205/55 16 wrx tires (205/50 16s would give better acceleration but I like the look of the 55 series, the 50 series look a bit small for my taste). I had the 215/45 17 tires but, with my lowered and stiffer suspension, that combination was a little too bone-jarring for me. I haven't tried all the sizes within reason but so far the 205/55 16 is the best for me -- it's a bit slower in picking up speed as compared to the stock sizing, but I like the highway handling much better and emergency avoidance is high on my priority list and I can use the wrx front and H6 rear brakes.
'94 TW
BoneIslandScooby
First Gear

I'm going to do quite a few autocross events. I will probably do at least one per month, and maybe up to 14 or 16 per year. Highway driving will not be too often, but will probably do 300 - 600 miles in total maybe once every three or four months on the highway, if that. City driving more often, but very few miles per day. I like what I read about the BF Goodrich Sport Comp 2's. Can anybody else confirm that they are good for my intended use?
BoneIslandScooby
First Gear

BTW, don't have to worry about snow. It's always summer here. I will see quite a bit of wet weather during the late spring and throughout hurricane season. We don't usually get a LOT of prolonged rain unless a big storm is blowing through.