header/up pipe/downpipe for ej22t

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

hawaiianEJ22T
In Neutral

header/up pipe/downpipe for ej22t

Post by hawaiianEJ22T »

Just got a 92 legacy with an ej22t and installed a custom 2.5in catback on it, but wanted to get some headers, a up-pipe and downpipe..was wondering if anyone could help with some options for these parts? does the 02-07 wrx headers and down pipe work? i know id have to move the o2 sensor on the downpipe but wasnt sure about the headers, and was thinking about switching out the turbo for a td-04 would that help with the header/up-pipe/ downpipe install?
92 legacy AWD ej22t 5 speed, rebuilt internals, custom intake, custom 2.5in catback, running 11psi, sti shocks and struts..
jefferson
Third Gear

Re: header/up pipe/downpipe for ej22t

Post by jefferson »

I wouldn't bother with any of those choices except the downpipe and I would make it a 3 inch aftermarket one. I don't think the wrx would be worth the trouble for the improvement. I'm not really sure if there would be any improvement. Headers and up pipe are a tossup, just keep your stuff.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Up Pipe on the WRXs are catted anyways, so it would be an un-improvement over what you have, lol. The stock DP on WRX should be the same sized inner diameter as what you already have.

I'm with Jeff, exhaust manifold and up-pipe are fine, but a sweet divorced or bellmouth 3" downpipe (along with a custom 3" midpipe with resonator(s) and aftermarket muffler) would be beneficial.

The stock turboback exhaust on the SS is 2.5" IIRC.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
hawaiianEJ22T
In Neutral

Post by hawaiianEJ22T »

Thanks for the replies, but i guess i should have stated this in my original post..there is an aftermarket header and up-pipe on it already but they're in pretty bad shape with some leaks, so you guys are saying i should try to find an oem exhaust manifold and up-pipe for it or would an aftermarket set for a wrx work? and yeah i am def getting a 3" downpipe..guess i should had got a 3" catback to begin with, just didnt think i needed it that big since im not gonna be making too much power and wanted to keep some back pressure. thanks again for the advice.
92 legacy AWD ej22t 5 speed, rebuilt internals, custom intake, custom 2.5in catback, running 11psi, sti shocks and struts..
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Go with Subaru headers and a Subaru non-catted up-pipe from a turbo Legacy or STi. They're the same.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Guttersmash
In Neutral

Post by Guttersmash »

Bumping this because I want a definite answer. Are aftermarket header/up pipes made for an 02-07 wrx direct bolt ons to the ej22t?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Yes! They are. Are they better than the already catless ones on the ss? I think that's the real question.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

There are tons of STi header, catless up pipes, for after market that fit. Agency Power for one, don't use their solid UP though. Get a UP with a flex section in it, will align for sure.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I had fitment issues with an aftermarket up-pipe with a flex joint.

Again, unless you're pushing 400+ hp, the stock exhaust manifold and up-pipe are more than capable.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Cheap headers aren't worth it. Expensive ones aren't worth it unless you are building something crazy.

I went through a few sets of cheap ones before biting the bullet and getting some good ones. Had I thought about it at the time, I should have kept the stock manifold, but I was moving and didn't have anywhere to put it.....
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
devilzdriver
First Gear

Post by devilzdriver »

This car is mine now, and has been for a while, there was some cheap headers / uppipe, they have since been replaced with STI exhaust manifold that i port matched, with a GS coated up-pipe. My lego runs much better!