what do you think?

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

import_freak
First Gear

what do you think?

Post by import_freak »

Ok so im looking at buying another vehicle for a beater/something that gets better gas mileage then the sooby. And im looking at an 89 honda prelude S. it needs a muffler and has a crack in the windshield (not in filed of vision). I was able to talk them down to 1K$ and blue book is 3K$. So what do you think? Give me your honest opinion.
93 legacy turbo sedan
00 jeep wrangler
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

Not bad, really. . . . check the engine for oil leaks. . . engines that age, even Honda ones, might have developed a leak or three. (I know, I dealt with that when I owned a 91 Prelude Si two years ago.)
czo79
Second Gear

Post by czo79 »

Thats not a prelude with 4ws is it? Although I don't know too much about their system, I would tend to shy away from complicated things like that...
Micum
Micum
91 Legacy Turbo Sport - 94 JDM EJ20G
97 Legacy 2.5 GT - mod'd
93 Impreza L AWD (sold)
97 Legacy 2.5 GT (deceased)
98 Legacy Outback (sold)
123c
Second Gear

Post by 123c »

I would suggest looking for an old Mercedes 240D with a 4-speed manual. I know it's a diesel, but they aren't that slow, and they get around the mid-30s for mileage. You can find one in decent shape for around $2000. Or, if you were really crazy, look for a VW rabbit with the diesel engine, they get about 50mpg. However these had/have a tendency of blowing head gaskets/bolts blowing off...
[color=red][b]1993 Subaru BC Turbo Legacy (193k miles)
1971 VW Super Beetle
1989 Honda Elite 50
[/color][/b]
import_freak
First Gear

Post by import_freak »

No it's not the 4ws its just an s (the cheap model). A whopping 104 horsies, the 4ws has 140. It's a 2.o liter engine the 4ws has a WHOPPING .1 liters more :shock: :shock: :shock:
93 legacy turbo sedan
00 jeep wrangler
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

thought about a 1st gen(84-87) crx? If you were to get an HF you would get upwards of 50 mpg easily. only problem, 2 seater
import_freak
First Gear

Post by import_freak »

The other problem is that findingd old VW's around is like finding a needle in a haystack. I generally check the swapsheet about once a week and drive around the dealers about one sunday a month. And only once have i seen and old VW (excluding all the old beetles) it was an 84 jetta with a diesel. Probably would have bought it as a beater at the time, but i wasnt looking to buy a car then.
93 legacy turbo sedan
00 jeep wrangler
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

199x toyota tercel. DONE.
import_freak
First Gear

Post by import_freak »

I did it. It's not the one i was looking at before, it's even better. This one doesn't have nearly as many problems as the other one i was looking at. And it was cheaper. I'll try to take some pics of it this weekend, and while im at it i'll take some pics of the sooby.
93 legacy turbo sedan
00 jeep wrangler