91 legacy wagon suspension blah blah blah

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

densubie
In Neutral

91 legacy wagon suspension blah blah blah

Post by densubie »

Hello all, noob here. Just recently acquired my 91 Legacy L wagon or "Big Booty Judy" as I like to call her, and loving it. Have done a decent amount of work to her so far to get it to pass emissions :cry: (which its still failing to do but that'll be another discussion) but my next item on the to do list is lowering it. And as I've quickly learned, they don't make it easy to modify anything on the first gen.

I know this question has been answered countless amounts of times :roll: and I have read so many posts on the topic. Including this one http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=22419. My question is, how do I lower my wagon??????? And by lower I mean slam or as low as I can get it. Keeping some ride quality is ideal but not necessary lol. I know everyone has their opinion about ride height but I've always like the lower the better...just something about the look. (Oh and no air ride, just seems like to much of a headache)

If I'm understanding the post from above correctly, theoretically I could buy any 04+ wrx aftermarket strut/spring/coilover setup and it would bolt right in with the current spring perches and such? Or is that only for the rear?

For example would these bolt right in?? http://www.racelandus.com/coilovers/sub ... overs.html
I'm open to any and all suggestions!!! Preferably affordable suggestions lol. Strut/spring, coilover combo, was looking all over for a set of sleeve type coilovers because they're normally much cheaper.

P.S.
Sorry for the novel
densubie
In Neutral

Re: 91 legacy wagon suspension blah blah blah

Post by densubie »

How about these? Would these fit on current struts? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Subar ... 9a&vxp=mtr
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

What's your budget? If you're looking to slam it, some coil overs for the 93-01 Impreza are probably your best bet.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
densubie
In Neutral

Post by densubie »

I was hoping to spend the least amount possible, but 450 or so would probably be my max. But open to suggestions. Just trying to get a definite answer to what will fit with the 91 wagons suspension being unique. Would love to see and hear peoples current setups and what kind of drops they've achieved.
10wrxing
First Gear

Post by 10wrxing »

I have a 91 sedan.
I haven't done any suspension stuff yet, but I've been told (by members on this board) that I can swap in 04-07 Impreza springs without needing anything else.
Now, it does have a repalced 'stock' setup on the car already, so not sure how it will ride with just swapping in lowering springs for 04-07.
But I plan on doing it in the next few months.

Not sure if that helps you with a wagon though.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

The fitment is the same between sedan and wagon. And yes, 04-07 lowering springs should get you lower on a tight budget. I feel like I remember H&R being a popular choice. Springs alone won't get you 'slammed' by any means though, unless you cut them and risk going too low and completely ruining your ride quality. But if you don't like the 4x4 look they do clean it up quite a bit.

If you take some time to look through the build journals, you can see what others have used to lower their cars. That into is usually on the first page of each journal.

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I just noticed you were looking at Race land coilovers. Not a bad route to go (I'm assuming you know these aren't the choice for serious motor sports). But the GC Impreza versions fit better than the GD Impreza ones.

http://www.racelandus.com/coilovers/sub ... overs.html

10wrxing
First Gear

Post by 10wrxing »

James614 wrote:I just noticed you were looking at Race land coilovers. Not a bad route to go (I'm assuming you know these aren't the choice for serious motor sports). But the GC Impreza versions fit better than the GD Impreza ones.

http://www.racelandus.com/coilovers/sub ... overs.html
How is the fitment/install of these on a 91?
Any drilling needed?
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Direct bolt-on.

10wrxing
First Gear

Post by 10wrxing »

James614 wrote:Direct bolt-on.
Awesome!
Maybe I'll be looking at these for myself (Just a winter car that I want lowered).

What's required for the gd ones to fit?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

10wrxing wrote:
Awesome!
Maybe I'll be looking at these for myself (Just a winter car that I want lowered).

drilling the rear holes out, unless you can find some 93-00 impreza rear top hats that fit them.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
10wrxing
First Gear

Post by 10wrxing »

mike-tracy wrote:
10wrxing wrote:
Awesome!

drilling the rear holes out, unless you can find some 93-00 impreza rear top hats that fit them.
Great!
Thanks for the reply!
densubie
In Neutral

Post by densubie »

Yeah thanks for the reply! I'll definitely be looking into those racelands. Seems like the best bang for the buck.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

densubie wrote:And by lower I mean slam or as low as I can get it. Keeping some ride quality is ideal but not necessary lol.

Just so you know, the two things above "slammed" and "ride quality" are at opposite sides of the spectrum. If you got with the slammed look, ride quality will probably not be too great. Just something to keep in mind.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
densubie
In Neutral

Post by densubie »

Thanks Josh, I know slammed and ride quality don't go together like oil and water. Hopefully I could find a happy median. Just have always liked the look of a slammed car, especially wagons. Was more just looking for peoples setups and some definite answers to what fits and what doesnt. The top spring perch/top hats conversations confuse me lol.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Ok, well coilovers are probably the best route to go to get as low as you can.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm