Installing STI v3 Nardi steering wheel...

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

czo79
Second Gear

Installing STI v3 Nardi steering wheel...

Post by czo79 »

Hell all...
I got a good deal (methinks) on a sti v3 nardi steering wheel for my legacy turbo. I'm thinking since the legacy is non airbag, that this should swap right in no problem...anyone know if this is really the case? Also, I remember not being able to take my 98 leg wheel off...w/o a steering wheel puller at any rate. Will the nonairbag wheel be easier to take off? Can I do it without a wheel puller?
thanks
Micum
91 Legacy Turbo Sport - 94 JDM EJ20G
97 Legacy 2.5 GT - mod'd
93 Impreza L AWD (sold)
97 Legacy 2.5 GT (deceased)
98 Legacy Outback (sold)
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

Should come off, mine did :D You just have to pull harder. I have the same STi Nardi 3 spoke wheel in my car and it bolts right up. The only modding that has to be done is to the horn. I still have to set mine up to work.

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Yeah, just pull it off harder using the wheel grips!

Pretty easy to wire up the horn button. Just cut the harness from your stock wheel (leaving some wire) and splice into where the JDM horn harness would go.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
Dr Nick
Second Gear

Post by Dr Nick »

Just be careful when you pull it off though...

I smacked my nose really hard when pulling the wheel off a Mini some 17 years ago now, and it looks like I might have to go for an operation now as I can't smell things too good. It ordinarily wouldn't be a huge problem but my 2-year old son is getting a bit fed up of milk that's off 'cos Dad can't actually tell... :(
- Rob

1992 Legacy Turbo Estate (Wagon) / 5MT / 186k miles. [url]http://www.griggs-taylor.co.uk/legacy.html[/url]
1986 Suzuki GSX-R400 / 6MT / 43k km. [url]http://www.griggs-taylor.co.uk/mybike.html[/url]
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

Ouch :o
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I had to get a cheap puller to remove mine. It was like $10.

Either way, keep the nut on the last few threads at the end of the steering shaft so when the wheel pops free it won't come off and hit you.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
czo79
Second Gear

Post by czo79 »

hey all...
I finally got my old stock steering wheel off. But now I have found that the nardi sti wheel won't go on, because the plug for the horn wiring sticks out from this plastic ring around the hub area, it physically prevents the nardi wheel from attaching to the hub, because the wheel doesn't have a slot/hole for the plug, like the stock wheel. Should I just cut off this plug? Could that black plastic ring from which the plug eminates be removed? Any ideas?
I guess I'll take off the steering column covers to see if I can find a way to take it off, I think rigging the horn may be harder than I thought...
Thanks
Micum
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

You can just remove that plastic ring. I did that and wired up a seperate button for the horn on the column shroud on the lower right hand under the wheel. I also lost cruise, but I never use it anyway. I could've rigged it up it wasn't worth the bother.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
czo79
Second Gear

Post by czo79 »

probably a stupid question, but how does one remove the plastic ring with the horn plug? pry it out? Or do you need to unscrew the steering column plastic covers and get to it some other way?
Another kinda odd thing, the stock horn wiring was just one wire, the sti wheel has two wires...
Thanks
Micum
91 Legacy Turbo Sport - 94 JDM EJ20G
97 Legacy 2.5 GT - mod'd
93 Impreza L AWD (sold)
97 Legacy 2.5 GT (deceased)
98 Legacy Outback (sold)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I think the top part unclipped along the edges with a little screwdriver or maybe the whole thing just pulled out. You might have to remove the plastic shroud, I don't remember. The Nardi wheel probably just has power and ground while the original wheel grounded to the column somewhere and didn't need an extra wire.

Steve